Rear washer question

mick71

Quick one guys , see when u push stalk forward to wash rear windows does wiper keep wiping continuously till u let go the stalk ? Asking as I had to reattach hose in boot lid and my rear wash only wipes intermittently if I'm holding it in wash position and I'm sure it's meant to keep going till I let go stalk

Could be.

The wiper should stay on continuously while you push the stalk forward to wash, and then when you let go it should do three more swipes before reverting to the intermittent setting (assuming you didn't pull it to the all the way off setting).

Yeah mine does same press it to wash it does 1 single wipe and then thats it, it doesnt do the 3 sweeps and stops. It acts as if youve just turned rear wiper on on its own. Its bloody annoying. I was going to look at coding or it could be weve both ended up with poverty spec motors from a base level car that simply dont do the 3 sweeps.

I take it when you have it pressed on you get wiping and spraying? and when the rear's on step 1 it's doing intermittent wiping? If so, sounds like it might be a problem with the control unit.

If you don't get wiping at all when on step 1, check the earth on the motor (brown wire), I'm not 100% sure but it appears from the wiring digram that there is both a constant earth, and a second one that is made when pressing the stalk forward.

Barring checking all the wires (mostly the brown, green/red and green/white) from the motor, most of the rest is controlled on the ECU.

Edited by wiredsoftware

or it could be weve both ended up with poverty spec motors from a base level car that simply dont do the 3 sweeps.

Mine's poverty spec and it does the three sweeps.

Oh I didn't realise it was meant to do more than one sweep? Mines only ever swept one after the squints...

Just checked all my wiring (had a frost and the pipe popped off) and it's all clean and tidy, my rear number plate light is on its way out... Literally falling out....

is there a setting on the vcds (the software that's escaped my memory) to set the amount of wipes per squirt?