El blanco diablo

dc14

So thought I'd start a little progress thread of my current squeeze. I don't intend to do loads to her but thought I'd share the love with the bits I do do and report the results as I know from experience people doing the same always like to do a bit of research-so the more info you can from current projects the better no?

So bring you up to speed after 7 great years I decided it was time to move on from my mk1 octy vrs and had a few options in mind to replace her (but always new I'd get another vrs at some point in the future). So options were s4 4.2 v8 model, m3 e46 tin top, or r32 make 5 golf! Drove all and loved them for different reasons HOWEVER all were slightly flawed-the s4 just didn't excite me. Power very linear and great grip and build but you really feel that you're in a big car with a big engine, the r32 still retains that tight hatch feel,goes well but people seem to want too much for them plus I was surprised how much less room the haldex makes to the boot and late specs suffer from the big tax and expensive to tune in comparison to a turbo. M3 was great but just try and find a black tin top with black leather in a manual and not have spaceship mileage and all of a sudden you're severely limited on what's actually out there for sale. Having 2 young daughters it needed to be practical so ultimately the only thing that could replace my vrs was......another vrs

Was looking for a fl petrol dsg after falling in love with the gear box in my brothers ed 30 golf and then a more than perfect example came out of nowhere

I do have a pic of her when I picked up I will get uploaded but for now here is a press picture of her!!!!!post-35235-0-00745200-1456223052_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Two owners from new one of them being skoda as a demonstrator however after doing a bit of research on the fl vrs I came across the pic above and below of her in press pictures for ironically the vrs black line even though she is a petrol and NOT a black line!!!!!!

However does explain the high spec extras she came with including Bluetooth ,xenons, 18"'s, bolero hu, and cruise

As said the plans are ongoing and not going to be extensive (I said that with the mk1 though) just bit more power, few styling tweeks and general tidying! I will bring the thread up to date over the coming week or so once I get my photo bucket up to date as well. But for now thanks for looking n hoping some of my finds mite help others!

image_1.jpeg

Not the best pic but is taken as a pic of a pic but this is literally just after I picked her up from the dealer fuelling up for the journey home and by the side of me my original baby making 1vrs in more of a standard form !

So my first port of call as with any new whip is to sort out some of the basics !

She had a full service plus dsg from dealer and had her all important chains and tensioners done

Needed a spare key so sorted courtesy of action man from here (def recommend),and rear heater vent control was broken so replaced the whole vent!

Then there were a few annoying scratches on boot and rear bumper so had the lot into the body shop for a respray to make it shines and new looking

Love these in white with black wheels, looks B)

Def mate I really wanted a White dsg so when she came up I literally put deposit on her with the dealer before she even came off the transport ha!

Dark wheels for contrast coming up soon!

So thought I'd throw a little technical data I've collaborated on her Over the last 18 months for those wanting to know the numbers for those thinking about buying/modifying etc

Before I start any mods performance wise I always tend to go and try my luck at Santa pod to get some bench mark times (as I also do with a rr session) so I know where I've come from. My mk1 had a personal best of 15.23 which was running 219 stage 1 and 243lb so Spring fest 2015 thought I'd try my luck. I was hoping to get near my personal best in the middle 1 despite having less power and slightly more weight ! I was hoping the dsg and launch control would help me out !

There was also the grudge match as my brother now owns my mk 1 so obviously a comparison had to be made lol!!

having looked at potential "book" figures previously the car should of run around 15.3 (not sure what surface the book figures are based on so drag could be quicker) but all of my 7 runs I managed to get under this with my best run of the day a 14.68 against a mk2 golf rallyee stripped/caged/buckets and running a stage 1 20v turbo!! Managed to nail the launch on that run but getting it right is not as easy as it sounds I found and only engaged properly twice out of the runs-but just goes to show how much time is saved at the terminal if you can launch well!! All in all not too bad for a family hack -even beat a stage 1 lcr!!

URLimage_4.jpeg

And some proof it's not just pub talk

So with the car back from the body shop having had a respray on lower boot lid and full bumper and mechanics in order next on my list was sorting the badly Kerbed alloys and replacing all tyres as they were almost shot! So car off the road for a week which also gave me time to transfer over my cherished plate from my old mk1 and order the tryres. Also thought whilst the car was going nowhere and I intended putting new badges on the new wheels I'd update the front and rear badges to the new style black and chrome ones

Here she is "on air"

image_3.jpeg

Wheels back with some new Bridgestone potenza adrenaline's on . Sorry for the dark photo but it was in my garage-went slightly different from the normal black and had storm grey with a Matt lacquer finish. New centre caps as well

image_4.jpeg

And the finally back on. Love the contrast of the red brake calipers and the white paintwork . Also had the heko deflectors and dark smoke privacy glass just to emphasise the contrast and keep the kiddies safer in the back! Also loving the new style badges-really update the look of the skoda emblem imo!

20150830_112759_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Much thinking went on over which intake/filter to go with. My old me 1 just ran a panel filter as was always lead to believe an intake didn't work so well on the 20v lump!?

Anyway did a load of research on open or closed intakes and best ones of each-eventually coming down to the carbonio stage 1 kit or the evolution Motorsport open filter and heat shield with intake pipe.

Much umming and arring went on believe me and eventually decided on the evoms kit for no other reason than I seemed to be able to glean for info on it and all seemed pretty positive, besides if they tune Porsches I didn't think they could be too shoddy hey!!?

One call to garage midnight and voila

image.jpg

Pretty happy with how she sits and only took 30 mins to whip out old air box and install the heat shield, also like the secondary cold air feed from grill still able to feed into the filter via a groove on bottom of heat shield-something I never saw when researching the kit! Sounds deeper growl on start up and a nice wish of the turbo especially if you double blip the throttle on gear change (or in multi storey car park )

• 2 weeks later...

So late last year thought it was time to add an extra slice of power to match up with the new intake! Originally had my mk1 re mapped at P-torque by will and will happily admit she never missed a beat on that remap in 7 years so it was quite an easy decision to go back to Will for my new baby!

Will always runs a diagnostic to check all is well and give a RR session to give pre map compatible figures! First run measured up 210 ps and 227lb torque which was an impressive start and shows some of the potential of the EVOMs intake. All was good with diagnostics so left him with it to tune on the RR .

image_1.jpeg

so stage 1 on ecu and also asked him to stage 1tune the DSG box so everything is working together nicely. At same time had the car delimited, full manual mode enabled (apart from 1st-2nd and visa versa) , rev litter raised to 7k and also clamping pressure increased to 385lb in readiness if I ever go further than stage 1! Also he increased shift speed by 40% and tweaked launch control.

Final figures after a three hour stint- 260 ps and a whopping 293 lb torque! Quite a good increase from 200 ps and 207lb torque! I. It's admit I thought my old vrs was a massive improvement but the newer tsi lump seems to relish a stage 1 even further! Urgency of the car is certainly obvious now and the dsg just grips and goes! Sport mode tends to hold on to the gears a bit too long for me personally (although will test this at Santa pod in future) and I actually like the paddle shift more now! Drive however is most notable in its shift difference. Pulls through the gears swiftly and ,compared to what I'm used to driving, scarily quickly as the numbers tot up quicker than you care to notice!

However my biggest point is similar to my old mk1 in that my wife could quite happily drive this around with the kids in the back in comfort not even knowing it has the power it does. However on the motorway there is just no need to change gear to overtake effortlessly because the torque just eats up the mid range speeds ! Change down though and she'll scream off like a stabbed rat!

I'll aim to get the graph up at some point and also look to achieve some new times when I get back to Santa pod to compare against !

image_2.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So where am I up to?!

Getting towards catching up on my progress to date . So on my recent service and not at my local skoda dealership she flagged up a few little issues- slight leak in passenger front damper, rear bump stops on way out, small chip on screen, rear brakes pretty much shot and my can of tyre "glue" out of date. However they did offer to fix it for for a modest fee the wrong side of 1k lol!

So I do like to get her serviced and mot'd by skoda but I tend to get the work she needs done myself cause a) they're a little rich for me and B) and more to the point if there is something need replacing them I like to replace it with something a bit better than OE where I can!

So a new battle plan was hatched to start looking to fix these bits. Auto glass easily sorted the chip and I then found this as a far better replacement for my "can of glue"!

image_8.jpeg

Call me old fashioned but if I get a puncture I like to have something I can bolt back on not some tin if wonder glue lol! Got it off brisky unused with a brand new conti on too-win! Also replaced rear brake discs/pads with pagids and ap fluid so now just to look at what to replace the other little niggles with!

Also managed to get a boot liner second hand-absolute life saver especially with two little un's in tow!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've had some Dunlop slicks fitted to some spiders in my garage from my previous mk1 in the attempt to gain traction on sprinting but obviously the spiders don't fit so been keeping an eye out for the right 17" with the right offset/pcd and the right price.

Eventually found these recently from a golf 5 tdi but as you can see not best condition of the powder coat!

image_10.jpeg

• Like 1

All wheels are pretty tatty on powder coat but all straight and no dents and a spot in fit for old blanco! So thought if I wanted to use them I'd try and tidy them up before putting the slicks on! Only needed 2 but thought is may eventually fit track tyres to all four and use them as a cheap set of wheels for track days etc!

Anyhow used a bit of wet and dry before putting a couple of coats of satin silver on initially-don't look too closely as they all do really ideally need a shot blast and powder coat but for £80 for 4x17" alloys you can't complain lol!

image_11.jpeg

• Like 1

Already looking considerably better! As you can probably see you can see they're not quite smooth all over but using them just for fun and for my outlay they will certainly do the job! The eagle eye'd amongst you may see the top of a can of green plasti dip which was my original intention to use-unfortunately to ill effect . Ultimately I think that stuff works better on smooth surfaces which these were not.

So another re think on what to do whilst I strip four layers of plasti dip day by day !!

Still wanted to go with green-my favourite colour as well as a vrs favourite plus I've been having fun doing these and thought if your going to put some wheels on just for racing why not have a bit of a laugh-it's why we like to get into cars partly isn't it

So finished putting a good few coats of the ford signal green and had a quick trial fit on hub before fitting slicks! -probably should of done before taking all the time to strip, rub down and paint but hey ho lol!

image_13.jpeg

great progress :) on this fella

Cheers dude appreciated. Tbh wen I decided I was goi g to replace my mk 1 with one of these I thought " yah just a re map n maybe an intake" lmao! But that how it always starts !