Scout Towbars?

Hi, we're new to our Scout (mkII 2013), and are enjoying it so far, but we've got to fit a towbar. so far the options are :-

PF Jones self fit and code by dealer - £300 inc proper wiring plus £90 coding charge, (I've done it before on our previous Altea)

PF Jones fitted £500

Skoda Parts supplied and self fit £500

Skoda Dealer fit - £840 inc coding.

Any advice?

other Questions....

Does the removable neck have to be lower to counter the ride height?

Will the PF Jones wiring be OK and codable?

The Dealer are pushing not to self fit, with comments like 'We've never been able to code a DIY towbar'!

Self fit isn't that hard to do if you have the time and patience. The tow bar itself is relatively simple even though you are taking the rear bumper off. The electrics are a bit more tricky. The connection to the fuse box is straight forward, the can bus connectors is a bit fiddly and in a tight area if you have big hands.

The coding can be done by VCDS and most people seem to only charge £20 so a further saving there if you have someone local who can do it for you. The dealer is talking BS in that they can't code a DIY fit towbar.

The PF Jones tow bar and dedicated wiring will be the Westfalia kit which is what VAG use only the swan neck is slightly different in the locking handle design. The lad that did my VCDS coding for the tow bar had done it in 30 mins including making other adjustments for me so not a big job if you have the software.

I think the Scout version of the towbar has different swan neck to counter the additional height. All the other tow bars for Octavia's seem to be the same regardless of hatch or estate only the Scout differs. 

• Like 2

When you connect the dedicated wiring up all the electrics for the tow bar work so you have brakes, indicators, number plate and reverse. It will throw up and error for an unrecognised module fitted to the canbus until it is coded in. This is only shown on error code scan and not through the maxi dot display or any thing else visual.

Once it is coded up it disables the reversing sensors when you connect something to the tow bar electrics and it also extends the car alarm to include the attached trailer so if you're parked it up and someone disconnected your trailer electrics it would trigger the alarm. When you do select reverse it changes the display to remind you have something connected.

towing.jpg

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Witter fitted to my Scout. £350 all in.

It isn't properly integrated though so I get the constant beep from the sensors when in reverse if a trailer is attached.

DSC06098.jpg

IMG_12975.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleased with the Westfalia now, took a lot of doing, not least the integrated wiring, routing through the car and removing refitting the trim was particularly challenging, had it Coded at Westfalia in Bristol, the proper wiring gives you : - A pretty picture of a trailer on the reversing screen, switches off the foglight on the car, if the trailer/ board has a fog light, switches off the reversing sensors when a trailer is connected and gives you TSP, Trailer Stability Program.

• 1 month later...

If anyone in Devon/Cornwall looking for a fitter, I am having PC tow bars from Plymouth fit a detachable as per Skoda fitting with coding for £465.