Rear reading lights, should the buttons be illuminated?

Hi All,

Loving my new superb apart from a few niggles. It slips into reverse without pushing the gear leaver down & selecting reverse...but my question is should the rear reading light buttons be illuminated at night so the rear passengers can see them as mine don't illuminate? Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Loving my new superb apart from a few niggles. It slips into reverse without pushing the gear leaver down & selecting reverse...but my question is should the rear reading light buttons be illuminated at night so the rear passengers can see them as mine don't illuminate? Thanks in advance.

Just checked out mine on my SEL Exec, front overhead control buttons, above driver do illuminate, the rear passenger buttons do not illuminate, I have tested with the ignition on, engine running, side lights on and main headlamps on, the rear buttons DO NOT illuminate.

I am sure others will also confirm.

Edited by roughrider10

Nope even on a L&K they do not illuminate.

It's taken me two days of ownership to work out how to switch these lights off! Now, how do I get them to come on when the doors are opened?

Do any of them come on now? if not push the button with the door open symbol near the passenger side spotlight.

Fronts are working with the doors but rears only from the buttons. The handbook isn't very helpful on this subject!

According to page 74 of the manual:

Button A enables/disables the door open light function - this should toggle all lights on and off with the doors

Button B switches on/off the rear lights only

Button C switches on/off ALL lights in the front and back

Button D switches the front passenger map reading light on. 

There doesn't appear to be a button for the driver's map light as there is in the Mk2. 

Now, do you have a panoramic sunroof with 'Variant 2' lighting, as also shown on page 74? It appears there is an on/off/auto mode for this type of rear light. Not sure if this defies the logic of the main switch in the front with respect to auto on/off operation with the doors. 

Excellent deciphering of the manual, thanks for your help.  I now have the front and rear lights working as desired; this is with all four buttons in the front and both in the rear pushed in. I have variant 1 by the way, no sunroof, and the rear buttons are not illuminated.  

Excellent deciphering of the manual, thanks for your help.  I now have the front and rear lights working as desired; this is with all four buttons in the front and both in the rear pushed in. I have variant 1 by the way, no sunroof, and the rear buttons are not illuminated.  

Glad you got it sorted. 

Enjoy the car  :thumbup:

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...