Electric Car Lease Deals

silver1011

What about a plug in hybrid rather than a full electric then you always have the engine as a backup should the battery run out of juice,

I know the PHEV's usually do less to a charge than a full electric so your full journey might not be electric,

Altho i have no idea what lease deals they do on them

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm with you on the salesmen's explanation of battery. Having looked at the Zoe where Renault say it's mandatory to lease the battery with no purchase option, then I'd at least be able to get some real information about it. I also find the various manufacturers' configuration and pricing really confusing. You go to build your Tesla, it's IMO very straight forward. Here, you have lots of different finishes, options, and it's not always clear to identify what they mean. And the biggest one being the battery isn't clearly explained either!

The only PHEV I'd consider right now is an i3 REX. All the others IMO are a fudge purely for government grants and tax dodgings. A massive SUV with only 20 miles electric range. Really?!? What's the frikkin point if it isn't just a box-ticking exercise! Apart from the i3REX kind of cars, all the others are just ICE with a token electric motor thrown in. It's probably a biassed view mind you :)

What about a plug in hybrid rather than a full electric then you always have the engine as a backup should the battery run out of juice,

I know the PHEV's usually do less to a charge than a full electric so your full journey might not be electric,

Altho i have no idea what lease deals they do on them

This is what prompted me to bring this old thread back to life, the new range of hybrids that have entered the market since I first looked at the Leaf.

Unfortunately the battery-only element of most hybrids is only for 15 to 20 miles and as the engine is normally a 1.6 litre or 1.8 litre petrol the overall MPG isn't any better than a decent diesel.

For example Kia claim 78mpg on their new Niro, Auto Express real-world tested it to 50mpg. My current Skoda Superb is averaging 49mpg.

Xavier above is correct. Hybrids aren't yet a viable alternative to a decent diesel for people like me doing decent mileage and their additional components make them much more expensive to buy (or lease).

As soon as they get an all-electric car to 200 miles per charge, in the winter with all the lights, heaters and wipers on running through deep puddles I'm all over it like a car bonnet!

I can completely remove my diesel costs, charge it during the night (cheap rates) and for free during the day (at work). These savings cover the cost of driving a newer 'in warranty' car all the time.

Edited by silver1011

Yeah.

Shame Chevrolet aren't selling the Bolt over in Europe / UK.

We'll have to wait for the Tesla Model 3 (and anyone else who does something). But RHD Model 3 won't be for at least another year I think. I have a reservation for one to get "in the queue", but I'm considering it just an investment for now.

Edited by Xavier

I think the target was USD35k before rebates. I reckon it will be around £30k in the UK, down to £25k if the grant is still available. But that will be for the entry-level car (still 200+ miles range and 0-60 in 6 seconds). But I wouldn't be surprised if the top end one is closer to £50k with options. I have a suspicion that the increase in current Model S and X pricing is not just due to exchange rates but also starting to differentiate them leaving room for the Model 3. But they are getting silly expensive now. Mine in similar spec (albeit larger battery) is £25k MORE than what I paid for it 6 months ago...

• Like 1

A minor point maybe, but no where on this thread or in the calculations can I see any mention of the cost of charging the car? Can I know where you guys are getting free electric at home, I'd like some for my weed farm :)

"According to a spokesman, it costs £2.03 to charge it from flat to full, taking eight hours.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2243534/How-does-cost-charge-electric-car-home.html#ixzz4UDWVxjSQ"

So if you're charging it fully every night (as you've suggested you'll need a full charge - hence require the fast charger at work), and work a normal 5 day week, that's £40 per month in unaccounted costs.

Just a thought :)

Dan, the costs are a fraction of fossil fuels.

Unfortunately, I can't charge at home, so I have to rely on the public charging infrastructure. I'm fortunate to have a Tesla Supercharger in Reading which is the fastest and free to use for the life of my car. But it's not by choice. Should I be able to charge from home, I would. The convenience of leaving home every morning with a full tank if required is really amazingly refreshing. In the winter months, whenever I leave home, my car is already heated up, the windscreen and windows have already defrosted, I'm ready to go in a cosy environment. Jusy the other day, I came out fo drive off and as I walked up to the car, my neighbour parked next door was scraping his windscreen. He commented on how my car was already defrosted so I explained I remotely did that from the phone. OK, going off topic here :)

The charging costs if you charge at home are incredibly easy to work out. Just take your electricity rate (between around 6p/kWh and 15p/kWh) and multiply it by the capacity of charge you're putting in. So say you have a Tesla Model S with a 60kWh battery, you've arrived home and it's 20% charged. You want to charge it up to, say 80%. So it's a 60% increase in charge. 60% of 60kWh is 36kWh. If you electricity rate is 10p/kWh, then it's £3.60.

How much mileage will that give you? Well, if you average 300Wh/mile, it's 0.3kWh/mile. So that will give you 300/0.3 = 120 miles range. So cost is 3p / mile. :)

Naturally, if you're charging at home, it makes sense to get an electricity tariff that gives you better rates. Economy 7 which makes it cheaper at night when you configure the car to charge. If you're then paying 6p/kWh, it's effectively less than 2p/mile and that 60% increase in charge will cost you £2.16.

Those numbers are for a Tesla. It's a little "thirstier" in electricity because it's a heavy (2.2 ton) car. A Leaf / Zoe is ligher so electricity costs are cheaper / mile (but you have less maximum range). It's like comparing a Skoda Citigo with a really small 30 litre tank to a Superb with an 80 litre one.

• Like 1

Current Grants, but who knows what the next UK budget can bring.

http://gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants/eligibility

http://gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants/what-youll-get

Tell me about it when it comes to benefit in kind tax for company cars.

I bought mine as a company car for tax reasons (100% write-off so effectively saving 20% in costs over the purchase price). The BIK for zero emissions used to be 0% then it was 5%, now 7%, creeping up to 9% then a massive 16% or so before apparently dropping back down to zero by 2020 :o

• Like 1

Aren't those charging numbers assuming 100% efficiency converting mains to battery?

Ias previously stated by people there never seems a lot of info on actual consumption increase. Important when electric cars are still expensive.

Edited by gullyg

A minor point maybe, but no where on this thread or in the calculations can I see any mention of the cost of charging the car? Can I know where you guys are getting free electric at home, I'd like some for my weed farm :)

"According to a spokesman, it costs £2.03 to charge it from flat to full, taking eight hours.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2243534/How-does-cost-charge-electric-car-home.html#ixzz4UDWVxjSQ"

So if you're charging it fully every night (as you've suggested you'll need a full charge - hence require the fast charger at work), and work a normal 5 day week, that's £40 per month in unaccounted costs.

Just a thought :)

Post #42, see line "Electric".

Or here again for you  :notme:

post-47983-0-37043400-1483024154_thumb.jpg

Dan, the costs are a fraction of fossil fuels.

Yes but if he's factoring in monthly tax on the superb at £12 he should factor in charging costs on the Leaf. Its not £0 so it should be factored in to any cost calculation rather than ignored, regardless of if it is a fraction or not?

• 1 month later...

Some help please.

I have read that Bossfox had Leafs & Kia Soul EV's,   and now i have watched various Youtubes on KIA Soul EV's.

So i am interested in a KIA EV.  Not yet gone to drive one, but i have driven a Leaf  a Zoe & for a laugh a Kangoo EV van.

http://kia.com/uk/new-cars/soul-ev 

Anyone have experience of them, knowledge from a family member, friend or acquaintance.?

Just the pro's and con's of using one in the real world for local runs with home charging and occasional longer runs.

My requirements of one are not that demanding,

It will not be getting used as a main vehicle and not need for getting anyplace in a hurry so just a run about really.

thanks

George

Edited by Awayoffski

59 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Some help please.

I have read that Bossfox had Leafs & Kia Soul EV's,   and now i have watched various Youtubes on KIA Soul EV's.

So i am interested in a KIA EV.  Not yet gone to drive one, but i have driven a Leaf  a Zoe & for a laugh a Kangoo EV van.

http://kia.com/uk/new-cars/soul-ev 

Anyone have experience of them, knowledge from a family member, friend or acquaintance.?

Just the pro's and con's of using one in the real world for local runs with home charging and occasional longer runs.

My requirements of one are not that demanding,

It will not be getting used as a main vehicle and not need for getting anyplace in a hurry so just a run about really.

thanks

George

George, have you asked about a long-term test drive? If you're familiar with EVs and the electric drive train, then it's more a "is the Soul the right car" rather than is an EV the right car.

• Like 1

I have petrols and diesels and am getting an EV, (i have a 17 year old Jimny that has done 24,000 miles and a 2003 with only 46,000 miles covered, they just do local journeys now & one will do for anything offroad.)

So a Jimny will be replaced by an EV.

it is just not a Zoe or Leaf for me as the seats are rubbish, 

so the Soul is just about the ugliest car next to a Fiat 500L, but i fit in one as i have been in a diesel Soul, just interested if there is anything i have not yet heard in the many reviews.

I have driven a Yaris Hybrid and the size is good but not really looking at the other Toyotas that EV's and i am not wanting a Hybrid.

Edited by Awayoffski

So on the look out for a Used Silver Soul for a bargain price, i can not take the blue and white seriously.

Or i might just be waiting till i see what Philip Hammond MP comes up with in the Budget and look at getting a new one.

I would prefer paying around £17,000 for a used one though that still had 6 years warranty.