06 L & K ECU problems

It certainly does seem like an electrical problem rather than ECU.

I had a dodgy earth connection on my Seat Cordoba PD130 and that caused similar problems. It would just start beeping and throwing up all the warning lights then stall.

Took a while to trace it and check all the fuses and wiring but found it in the end. It was the negative lead to the battery that had some corrosion inside the cable.

Good luck!

Afternoon Phil

And do you see a battery warning light with the ignition on but the engine off?

Yes. Everything behaves as you'd expect until the fault appears.

I checked the alternator o/p and it does seem a bit spiky ( compared to the wife's car ) TBH I don't know if it's acceptable or not, so  I think it's time to go to the local garage and get their electrician to have a look at it.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all

I tried a different battery with no improvements.

I checked the main battery earth cable (as Phil suggested) and it looks OK with no sign of corrosion.

I gave up on removing the alternator for testing. I had thought about removing the drive belt but it would appear that it sits under the cam belt, and I don't fancy running it with the alternator belt hanging next to the cam belt.

Reconnected the battery to see more faults.

The following LED's are lit : EML, Steering, ABS brake warning (flashes) ASR and EMS.

Faults found:

Engine            05705 DTC definition not found.

ABS brakes     Link error.

Trans              18259 Powertrain data bus missing message from ABS controller.

CAN gateway  00466 control module for steering column electronics (J527)*

01316 Sporadic 004 No Signal

*Am  I right in thinking this will reset itself after a short journey.

It stalled after about five minutes on tickover.

The 'missing message from ABS controller' seems to indicate that it's lost it's connection.

Can anyone tell me where is it located please?

Cheers

Dave

Afternoon all

I left the battery disconnected overnight, and reconnected it this morning.

Things seem to have got worse. What I believe is the Exhaust Gas Recycling unit (in the inlet manifold on the front of the block, just above and to the left of what looks like an oil filter) has started to make a high pitched noise when the ignition is turned off. It stops if I unplug the connector on it (four wires). This seems to be confirmed in the engine readiness test in OBD mode which shows EGR system as a fail.

This is getting ridiculous. I cant 'talk' to the engine, and the ABS controller seems to have gone into hibernation.

Any suggetions would be appreciated.

TIA

Dave

Afternoon all

If anyone wants it for spares or repair, please PM (MSG?) me.

It's an estate withh 77,000miles on the clock. MOT expires next week.

FSH, mainly Skoda dealerships.

Climate control, DSG box, Leather upholstery, heated front seats, electrically adjusted driver's seat (three settings storable on different keys),  rear parking sensors, five full size alloys with nearly new tyres, traction control (ASR), Stream radio with six CD changer.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by davejohnson