buying a used superb

mjin

Hello, I went to view a 06 superb 2.5tdi. The dealer told me that MOT was done but was asked to add a 'link' in order to pass it.

I should have asked for clarification what 'the link' means. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

Is this a cause of concern?

Thanks very much!

Saw the MOT history just now, the advisories:

offside rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
offside front Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt inner (2.5.C.1a)

Are these common? Need replacing? 
Thanks!

Could be an ARB drop link - simple job and they do get a hammering, so quite normal - if it's the link they mean.

Brake pipe and CV gaiters also both degrade with time, both perfectly normal things that will come up from time to time.  Stopping's quite important, so I'd have a good look at that pipe and replace it if I wasn't happy with it.  CV gaitor I'd keep a watching brief on, but again is a simple job if you're handy with a spanner.  I did both on my Superb, and my B5 Passat before it.

All perfectly normal wear & tear parts, which wouldn't put me off on their own, although I might use them to haggle on the price a bit.

Gaz

• Like 1

Thanks very much, Gaz. That's somewhat reassuring to know that these are wear-and-tear sort of problems. 

I think your guess (drop link) is probably right, as in an earlier MOT, the report says 'Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint both upper'. Maybe another age-related issue? 

2.5tdi is a very heavy car, perhaps its parts go quicker than other variants? 

I only got a chance to check the MOT history when I saw the plate (masked in the photos on autotrader). 2800 quid isn't a steal.

The Superb MK1 has a complicated front suspension set-up comprising of 2 upper and 2 lower control arms. They can be a real pig to do and also expensive as they are aluminium.

I had a knocking on my last Passat (same design) and because non of them had any obvious play I did a complete side + ARB link which cost me about around £200 for Febi parts. It also required dropping the subframe to get one of the lower bolts out.

So make sure you are aware that if your keeping the car a while you might have to do part of the front suspension

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

Thanks for this. In your opinion, do I have to worry about the wheel alignment? 

Guess the best bet is to have it checked by a Skoda technician...

The Superb MK1 has a complicated front suspension set-up comprising of 2 upper and 2 lower control arms. They can be a real pig to do and also expensive as they are aluminium.

I had a knocking on my last Passat (same design) and because non of them had any obvious play I did a complete side + ARB link which cost me about around £200 for Febi parts. It also required dropping the subframe to get one of the lower bolts out.

So make sure you are aware that if your keeping the car a while you might have to do part of the front suspension

To be honest, after re-building one side with all new bits and getting a set of new tyres I never got round to checking the tracking and I didn't get any uneven tyre wear or handling problems. The ride and handling is pretty rubbish compared to the modern variants anyway.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

:nerd:  which seems to endorse the robust chassis it's got. Yeah I must admit that it floats a bit, like bmw 730 at speed, no worse. Thanks!

To be honest, after re-building one side with all new bits and getting a set of new tyres I never got round to checking the tracking and I didn't get any uneven tyre wear or handling problems. The ride and handling is pretty rubbish compared to the modern variants anyway.

I found my Passat to be great at speed, it was the corners that took some of the pleasure out of driving it. The Saloon may be better than the estate though as its not got the heavy duty rear suspension

Edited by SuperbTWM

I've got the car now. Overall it's smooth, quiet, robust. 

On A1, it feels that it's pulling to the right just slightly.

It's got two different front tyres too. Should I change them and check alignment?

Could its alignment cost more than cars with MacPherson?

I found my Passat to be great at speed, it was the corners that took some of the pleasure out of driving it. The Saloon may be better than the estate though as its not got the heavy duty rear suspension

Check tyre pressures before looking at more expensive options.  If the tyre pressures are all good, swap the wheels over.  If it then pulls the other way, you know it's more likely tyres than tracking.

Tracking wasn't any more expensive for me.

Gaz

• Like 1