170 DSG - anything NOT to like?

Chubbs

Decision time!

How far Off ££ from a new Discounted car?

Is Trade in good?

Difficult to say exactly as you can't purchase a new 170 any more, probably in the region of £4 to 5k. No trade in.

My Passat is on the list.

I sat with a VW customer service rep a week ago and she said there would be no change to mpg or performance and the software release was due first week in March.

Have you got that chiseled into a stone tablet?

Fred 

As per the title really.....looking st a 15 plate purchase very soon. Anything to cause concern? What about the VW diesel gate thingy.....anyone affected or had a recall!

Can you get the 170 on a 15 plate? It must have been one of the last out of the factory. My 15 plate is a 150.

That's the point, they haven't said ANYTHING about 'performance' but, some time ago, they DID claim no increase per Km for CO2, and thus we presumably, for consumption also.(?)

It appears that power comes with NOx as a byproduct from high combustion temperatures and without SCR it has to be dealt with PRIOR to combustion

It seems these are just basic diesel characteristics.

The letter I received from Škoda UK says the following: 'Our objective is to achieve the applicable emission targets without affecting engine output, fuel consumption or performance'.

I can't comment on what you might have received from Škoda-Oz.

Whilst that may not be a definitive promise and guarantee that there will be no identifiable changes in performance or fuel consumption, I prefer to wait and see what happens rather than assume that we are all going to be shafted as the odd poster likes to continually proclaim.

For the CR170 (and 1.2 TDI), the mod will, according to the letter I received, be a software update. The 1.6 TDI gets a software update and air mass sensor flow 'transformer'. I have every confidence that Škoda will provide a software modification for TIBET III that does not cause loss of performance or an increase in fuel consumption. For sure, if my hopes are proven wrong then I will be a tad miffed and revaluate the situation. 

My comment regarding the OP purchasing a secondhand CR170 and 'compensation' was meant to try and get some kind out of commitment out of the supplying dealer, rather than any actual compensation from Škoda UK which is known to be unlikely to happen.

As I said, I remain confident that all will be fine post mod - there is little point painting a picture of doom when no one knows what the outcome will be as the software mods haven't been carried out on anyone's car yet.

Glass half full time....

• Like 2

So why install it in the first place, seeing the 189 is a 20 min fix?

Unless

It involves a simple increase of exhaust gas regurgitation and meaning a greater carbon deposit load on the EGR valve.......I would be asking for a response in writing before they touched mine.

Edited by Ryeman

I've decided against the Yeti.....time for a change from Skoda perhaps and the emissions scandal didn't inspire confidence!

What alternatives have you considered and/or looked at?.

No direct alternatives, like I said, it was get the Yeti with the head or get something like a 335d Beemer or Golf R with the heart.

Edited by Chubbs

No direct alternatives, like I said, it was get the Yeti with the head or get something like a 335d Beemer or Golf R with the heart.

I take it ground clearance is not an issue then?.

Gonna come back to the SUV thing in a couple of years when there'll be plenty more to choose from their forecasted boom in production......

Gonna come back to the SUV thing in a couple of years when there'll be plenty more to choose from their forecasted boom in production......

You have to wonder about the conventional sedan's future, sales are falling rapidly here.

Very happy with my L&K 170 DSG. I had the smaller (148?) before. The 170 is noticeably quicker, but that does affect the mpg, if you have a right foot like mine!

I'm now getting about 42mpg with 9,500 miles on the clock. The old one averaged about 45mpg.

As an old slushmatic box user in various cars before, the DSG is a revelation. Changes up in the blink of an eye and also changes down to help with deceleration.

I gather they are not the most reliable thing in the world after a few years, but enjoy it now.

The 6-sp DSG (as fitted to the 170) is pretty much bulletproof according to everyone I have spoken to.

It's the 7-sp that's the problem one and you won't find one of those in a 170.

I've decided against the Yeti.....time for a change from Skoda perhaps and the emissions scandal didn't inspire confidence!

Emission scandal raised exactly for this reason. This is complete political bool****. And at  the end , how this scandal touching endusers ?

Such reasoned & well thought through opinions.

• Like 1