Warped discs

zorst

I've had four new tyres put on the car. They were balanced and then checked on the balance again.

But I'm still getting minor vibrations through the car between 50 and 70mph.

I know the car has got warped discs, probably the front.

My question is can warped discs give the effect as though your wheels are unbalanced.

I certainly don't remember it being there prior to the new tyres.

Thanks

Yes they can.

Either drive at 49mph or 71mph.

If you know your discs are warped, why not change them ? Not being funny, but they can either kill you or save your life, for the sake of a few quid, I know which I'd prefer...

There's also a chance warped disks will shorten the life of the wheel bearings (Which can take the ABS sensors with them), so another vote for changing the disks and pads from me. Disks mostly don't warp unless they're pretty near the end of their lives anyway.

How do you know you have warped discs?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Usual symptoms. When braking I can feel the car have a jerky slowing down affect. They are on, then off, then on etc. 

if I just drive around like a pensioner, you don't notice. but more aggressively they have the pulsating effect. Probably through getting hot.

Yes they can.

Either drive at 49mph or 71mph.

If you know your discs are warped, why not change them ? Not being funny, but they can either kill you or save your life, for the sake of a few quid, I know which I'd prefer...

Well that confirms it. If they can then I'll have to get it done.

Maybe I am trying to avoid getting them done for now. And also because there's plenty of meat left on the pads  but this fecking car has already cost me enough this week because I've had a sensor, four tyres and the turbo actuator replaced. So you can imagine how much I've spent so far.

Oh well next job it is then.

Thanks very much for the input though.

Before changing the discs try some repeated heavy braking, say 60-20 as hard as you can repeated 5-6 times. You want to be able to smell hot brakes.

Are you normally light or heavy on the brakes?

I feel your pain as regards spending, but to be fair, if your pads are nearly new, keep the pads, unless they are visibly scored/unevenly worn, and discs are cheap enough really, and not a pain to fit yourself ( unless you are too lazy, like me ) . Unfortunately, all the crap seems to come at once, doesn't it ?

Before changing the discs try some repeated heavy braking, say 60-20 as hard as you can repeated 5-6 times. You want to be able to smell hot brakes.

Are you normally light or heavy on the brakes?

I drive accordingly to road conditions but aggressively and to what the car can handle while making good head way on where I want to go.

A bit 50/50 on the brakes but never can smell them.

I feel your pain as regards spending, but to be fair, if your pads are nearly new, keep the pads, unless they are visibly scored/unevenly worn, and discs are cheap enough really, and not a pain to fit yourself ( unless you are too lazy, like me ) . Unfortunately, all the crap seems to come at once, doesn't it ?

The pads are straight (by visual through the spokes of the wheel) and with 5mm ish left on them. The discs are nice and smooth no scores on them.

On the price of the discs and pads these can vary. I've seen Mintex discs and pads on Ebay, delivered for £80. I AM capable of doing mechanical jobs, I'm usually fettling peoples motorcycles for them. This is easy because they're fair weather riders and so undoing nuts and bolts on the bike is no problem.

As appose doing work on the car. I might struggle a bit. Yeah the pads should be dead easy I just foresee an issue with getting the disc off?.

I can get the front done supplied and fitted for £150.  

Edited by zorst

Just try some hard braking to clean any deposits off the discs before splashing out on new discs. I used to get the symptoms of warped discs in my old octavia as I am light on the brakes. But some repeated hard braking and everything was fine again.

• Like 2

Discs are surprisingly easy to remove, it's usually just one screw holding them on, the wheel bolts secure them really. i can do most stuff, but due to a very fragile back, and admitted indolence, I find it easier to pay someone else to do it. the discs and pads sound reasonable, but if you can do the pads, you can do the discs to be honest. Google  a 'how to' you can sit in the warmth of your house for 10 minutes, makes notes, and save £70, for an hours work.

Try Trundlenuts suggestion first, and potentially save yourself £150. HTH

Edited by Mr Grumpy

Just try some hard braking to clean any deposits off the discs before splashing out on new discs. I used to get the symptoms of warped discs in my old octavia as I am light on the brakes. But some repeated hard braking and everything was fine again.

Interesting,  something to think about. yeah I'll give it ago.

Just for the input of the thread. I've been looking through the paperwork/receipts for the car.

I bought the car at the end of March 2015 and it had 60,000 miles on it. The car now has 79,000miles.

There is a receipt for 2 discs and pads from National Tyre Service at 56,000miles from July 2014.

It doesn't say if it's the front or the back. Either way I think that's a good innings.

Thanks again lads.

Edited by zorst

• Administrators

Yup cars and there 'cash' spree's. Mine used to announce it self, worse was insurance, mot, service, 4 tyres and a new rear beam, hence new tyres all in the same month... that really really hurt.

If you have ESP, the rears can wear quicker, but you need to be doing a lot of A/B road triggering stability control, my 4x4 superb rears ran out before fronts ;). Typical driving, I'd say the fronts were those replaced @56k, unless an underlying issue.

For parts, http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/370343-briskoda-parts-p-p-pick-up-parts-genuine-dealer-parts

Or checkout the sponsors section for 3rd party and other options. Plenty of independent fitters around you too, awesome for one.