After market folding tow bar and wheel & headlight issues

I didn't know whether to post this in the Mk II or Mk III forum!

1.  I have a Mk II Octavia Estate fitted with the Skoda approved folding towbar which involved the replacement of the rear bumper metal bar.  How different is the new Octavia Mk II - given that I still have the old bar as good as the day it was removed, can the folding towbar for a Mk II Octavia be fitted to a Mk III Octavia Estate if I treat myself to a new one? 

2.  Also I note that the new Octavia could come with 17" alloys, my Mk II only has 16" alloys - is there any difference in the way the wheels mount as I have a set of 16" steel rims fitted with winter tyres that I use for Ski trips.  Could these be fitted to the new Octavia with its 17" wheels for a short time?

3.  Also, does anyone know how you flat-beam/dip the headlights for continental driving on the new Octavia Mk III's - it's a two minute job on the Mk II!

Any answers to any of the above would be useful.

Many thanks

I didn't know whether to post this in the Mk II or Mk III forum!

1.  I have a Mk II Octavia Estate fitted with the Skoda approved folding towbar which involved the replacement of the rear bumper metal bar.  How different is the new Octavia Mk II - given that I still have the old bar as good as the day it was removed, can the folding towbar for a Mk II Octavia be fitted to a Mk III Octavia Estate if I treat myself to a new one? 

I would guess no on this one but I'm not 100% sure.

2.  Also I note that the new Octavia could come with 17" alloys, my Mk II only has 16" alloys - is there any difference in the way the wheels mount as I have a set of 16" steel rims fitted with winter tyres that I use for Ski trips.  Could these be fitted to the new Octavia with its 17" wheels for a short time?

Quick answer is - Yes only difference is the vRS cannot take 16" wheels due to the brakes. lesser model with smaller brakes you can use the same wheels as on the mk2.

3.  Also, does anyone know how you flat-beam/dip the headlights for continental driving on the new Octavia Mk III's - it's a two minute job on the Mk II!

I'm sure that I've seen a setting in the infotainment to change this (though mine is a vRS)

Any answers to any of the above would be useful.

Many thanks

I'd guess that setting is only an option if you have xenon headlights which the vRS and L&K will have.

With reflector lights I guess you'd have to use the stick on adapters.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments - I'm off to see the potential Mk III today.  It is excellent news that my existing set of steel rims should fit, they were £600 with tyres new when I got them and they've still got really good use left on them.  It's a shame about the tow bar, but I guess I was expecting that - I'll just have to get one fitted to the Mk III if I get it.  It's a double shame about the flat beam lights - I've read for some-time that Skoda had shafted owners who drove their Octavia's on the continent with making it the case that you couldn't get to the lights to flat beam them - its something I've got really got at on my Mk II - that and the fact that it's blown headlight bulbs like no tomorrow.  Unfortunately I'm not looking at the vRS or the L&K only an Elegance so I'll make a point of finding out the recommended solution if you can't do anything in infotainment on that.

Many thanks for all the info. 

I had a result - I've agreed to buy so a Mk III is mine, when I got there it already had a tow bar fitted :-D and it was a sufficiently up-specced Elegance that it came with those xenon lights and the infotainment system copes with the change in driving on the other side of the road with just a few button presses as described above.  So I am really pleased and I collect next week!

• Like 2