Cruise control retrofit 1.9 tdi

I have a mk1 octavia estate, 1.9 tdi glx 90bhp. I was thinking of installing a retrofit cruise control system. There seem to be a few sellers on evil bay selling the stalk and loom 'kit'. Has anyone done this before? Is that all I need? Do I need a switch for the clutch pedal to deactivate the cruise control? What do I need to do to programme the ecu so that everything works?

I've had a look round the forum and can find some info on fabia retrofits but not much for octavias. Any advice would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows of a thread, can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

You need a car with a drive by wire throttle, and I'm not sure that your Octy does. If it does, then you need the stalk and loom, and access to VCDS to tell the car that the kit has been fitted.

Cheers for the reply, yes my car is definitely drive by wire. Its an AGR engine. I'm almost certain all the diesels are drive by wire? I think I might treat myself to a vcds lead also.

Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket stalk switches? Good, bad, indifferent?

Buy genuine Skoda. Bought and fitted mine last year, genuine parts were very well designed and only £71 from the dealer (Stalk and loom) with comprehensive fitting instructions. Just be aware when removing the connector prongs/ relay socket that there is a locking mechanism (pinky purple colour) that holds the prongs/relay base in place, and you will also need a removal tool (£6 from ebay) to get the prongs out.

Fitting can be carried out if you're ok with a set of spanners and feel comfortable removing the wiper mechanism, airbag, steering wheel and stalk, also make sure you're working under cover or on a day that will be dry as when you drop the relay box any water running off the screen will run straight through the bulkhead and into to the cab.

Once the stalk and loom is installed you will need vcds to let the car know that it is fitted.

Although there is quite a bit of fiddling about, it is worth the effort especially with all the road works and speed limits that are imposed these days.  

Hope this helps. Dave

Forgot to mention you will have to drop but not fully disconnect the fuse box through the bottom of the dash as well, not a hard job but you will find the fuse connector prongs locked in place with another purple locking bar.

All the best. Dave

• 1 year later...

These are listed on ebay for just over £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321717180959?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#vi-ilComp

Do they 'appear' to be what is needed to retrofit cruise control?

For £20 seems worth the gamble?

Anyone know if customs will slap much on top of that as they come from China....

• Like 1

That kit only appears to have the wiring to the junction box not the wires for the other side that goes to the ECU, as for the petrol cars you need to put a couple of wires into the ECU  https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/skoda/octavia/octavia-1u/cruise-control-retrofit-skoda-octavia-sdi-tdi-diesel

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a TDi so shouldn't affect me.

Good news - parcel arrived a day early

Bad news - indicator stalk doesn't have cruise control on :rolleyes: messaged and will see what happens

Edited by Metalligator

• 3 weeks later...

So, seller admitted packing guy packed wrong part, right one arrived a while ago but only just got round to fitting.

Problems encountered:

Didn't know you had to 'open' connectors to insert pins (push the purple bit)

After opening accidentally turned a connector round and plugged into round hole.

Getting the washer motor assembly out.

Activated it using vcds lite and all working :-)