Front shockers

It's to do with strut size. Think 55mm is for diesel models and the 50 for petrol. Could have that the wrong way round though.

• 3 months later...

Ah right, thanks guys, I've bought new Bilstein B4 55mm fronts, my suspension code is G07/L13. I wondered about there rears being the same size or 50mm. Thanks again

Ah right, thanks guys, I've bought new Bilstein B4 55mm fronts, my suspension code is G07/L13. I wondered about there rears being the same size or 50mm. Thanks again

the rears shocks sizes are standard across the range so there are no different size like the front shocks,  only choice is whether you have sport or standard suspension (this caters for the firmness of the damping - to complement your spring setup)

Edited by wiilydog

Thanks Willydog, so I'm guessing because I'm going to use Bilstein B4's, there's only one type of shock (not sport). If I wanted a more sporty shock I'd have to use another set from the B range, i.e. B6 for example ?

Edited by cj_uk

B4 cater for both standard or sport suspension, if you look at the bilstein catalogue it will give you the spec part numbers for your car dependent on what suspension set up you have. B6 are mono tube high performance shocks hence you pay almost double compared to B4 ones.

The B4 sports shocks are the same as the standard B4 with a shorter stroke, so they can be used with lowering springs, but they're still OEM spec in terms of performance and comfort.

Sorry, just one last question, I've bought new shocks, genuine springs, droplinks, top mounts, front arms and ball joints, do I need to buy new bolts at all. I only ask as I know VAG use stretch bolts in some applications

Edited by cj_uk

It's highly recommended that you replace a lot of the bolts (maybe all of them?). Have a look at this guide, it should tell you everything you need to know - http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/strut-shock-installation-and-replacement-mk5-vw-tdi-and-audi-a3/

The bolts can easily be bought from any VAG dealer, I got mine from the local VW dealer at a cost of just under £1 for each nut and each bolt. The price is a bit steep but it's worth doing them.

Edited by TobyMTDI

Sorry, just one last question, I've bought new shocks, genuine springs, droplinks, top mounts, front arms and ball joints, do I need to buy new bolts at all. I only ask as I know VAG use stretch bolts in some applications

I didn't bother but I re-use stretch bolts in certain applications all the time.  I'm a notorious corner-cutter.

My mechanic reuses the bolts as well, but personally I think it's better to replace them for the sake of £25. I haven't got round to doing the fronts on my car yet, but for the rears at a bare minimum I'd buy the lower control arm bolt and nut, and the lower shock mount bolt. They get pretty rusty so IMO you'll want replacements at hand just in case you damage them even if you're not bothered about reusing stretch bolts (which you probably should be!).

The part numbers for the rear bolts are:

n-106-286-01 x2 (control arm bolt)
n-101-064-02 x2 (control arm nut)

n-910-274-01 x2 (lower shock bolt)

Edit:

Just wanted to add, if you want to replace the top mount bolts the part numbers for those are n-910-661-01 x4.

Edited by TobyMTDI

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this but I'm in the middle of changing my coilovers as the old ones are shot. Does the bottom strut bolt screw out or does it just slide out I'm reluctant to cut bolt if I then need to drill and remove threaded bolt

Cheers

2 hours ago, Maybug said:

I'm new to this but I'm in the middle of changing my coilovers as the old ones are shot. Does the bottom strut bolt screw out or does it just slide out I'm reluctant to cut bolt if I then need to drill and remove threaded bolt

Cheers

Once you undo the nut, the bolt should slide out, although you may need to punch it out due to corrosion.