Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool

Doily

I'm considering buying a tool but I'm intrigued about the descriptions that read that some wind to the right (most common on vehicles) and some wind to the left.

What is that all about?

For the past 40 years I've used a G clamp and pieces of wood to protect the cylinder etc. I've just pushed the piston(s) back in, without any rotation.

Have I been lucky to get away with it?

What make of tool is recommended for Fabs?

Thanks.

The type you are looking for are "right hand" - the issue with cars that have handbrake mechanism built into the rear callipers is, the piston gets adjusted automatically each time you apply the handbrake (if extra wear in the rear pads requires this), this adjustment is done by rotating the piston.

So, after maybe 4 years of service life, these pistons have gone through a few complete rotations, when you remove the old pads with worn thin friction material, and replace them with new pads with must thicker new friction material, the gap where between the pads where the disc is located becomes too small, also, the pistons have only so much adjustment available - so to sort this out, when you renew the pads you need to wind in (and press) the pistons back to their initial "zero'd" setting.

Edit:- pistons are fitted onto a screw thread (as well as being hydraulically operated) so that is why you need to wind back and press back, pressing back only, if you managed it would mean damaging the callipers.

Another Edit:- as you seem to have a 2004 1.2 Fabia you will have drum brakes in the rear, so a G clamp is good enough for the front callipers.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

As said, you're fine on the fronts as they don't rotate with the handbrake mechanism.

If you do want a wind back kit, I'd definitely recommend this set for DIY use. It comes with both left and right winders, and various adapters to fit different cars. Not bad for £13.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-22pc-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Rewind-Tool-Kit-Set-Auto-Wind-Back-Car-/301735873352?hash=item4640dc0b48:g:WkcAAOSw~otWcRLz

• Like 1

Remembering that if your G clamp is busy, you can still use the proper tool to slowly press back the front pistons - I think that my S-P tool adaptor is big enough and "flat" on the rear so I just reverse the adaptor that I normally use on my VAG cars, and use that on the front callipers.

• Like 1