Looking at a Fabia VRS mk II - few questions

Hi - trying to quickly get up to speed before looking at a few Fabia VRS.

It'll be 2010/11 1.4 VRS I'll be looking at. 

I gather some drink oil, some dont. What's the deal?? Are oil drinkers ones to avoid??

Any other weak points to look out for.

Anyone on here know 'NX11GEJ' ??

Cheers

I just took the plunge last week and got a 2010 Fabia VRS and love it, I was slightly put off by the oil issues, and from what I can gather mainly effect the CAVE engined cars which a 2010/2011 would be, and I think it was basically pot luck if you got a good one or not, I decided to go for it in the end as it was such a nice example , looked very well looked after and drove very well.

After getting it I did notice in the history that it had an oil consumption test which is a way of testing for the oil issue so I was slightly panicked by that discovery. But I phoned Skoda UK they were brilliant gave me the dealer details that had serviced the car. I found out it had  actually had 2 consumption test sadly failed both, then a shed load of warranty work last year followed by a third consumption test that it passed. I'm currently speaking to Skoda UK to try, and get the details of exactly what was done on the car last year, as the garage didn't want to share the details as they had a different owner on record, hopefully Skoda UK will sort this out for me.

But for extra piece of mind I've taken out a warranty that specifically covers the engine, and gearbox, so that if something does goes wrong I wont have to foot the bill, also I'm hoping what ever work was done in November last year will also be under Skoda Warranty, You can also take a warranty out with skoda direct. I feel a lot happier with the warranty, and the money I saved on insurance by getting the VRS covers the warranty costs.

Edited by scoobysn7x
  • Like 4

I've owned mine just over two years now and it's never missed a beat. 2011 CAVE mine is. Oil can be an issue but I kinda expect some usage due to the type of car. I'd say top up between 1/2 litres between each yearly service. I'm happy with that. Oil is cheap as chips.

I would say, ring skoda customer services and ask them for any history. They would have info on any warranty work carried out if any. As Scooby says, you could could take out extra cover for peace of mind :-)

I love the car. Still brings smile to my face every time I drive it. Just service it regularly, keep on top of spark plugs and put some decent tyres on and you're all good.

• Like 4

How much oil consumption to 'too much'. In the old day (pre little children) I had cars that needed regular topping up - didnt overly concern me. Or are there underlying problems lurking within the more oil-thirsty units?

Edited by evtilsley

I just took the plunge last week and got a 2010 Fabia VRS and love it, I was slightly put off by the oil issues, and from what I can gather mainly effect the CAVE engined cars which a 2010/2011 would be, and I think it was basically pot luck if you got a good one or not, I decided to go for it in the end as it was such a nice example , looked very well looked after and drove very well.

After getting it I did notice in the history that it had an oil consumption test which is a way of testing for the oil issue so I was slightly panicked by that discovery. But I phoned Skoda UK they were brilliant gave me the dealer details that had serviced the car. I found out it had  actually had 2 consumption test sadly failed both, then a shed load of warranty work last year followed by a third consumption test that it passed. I'm currently speaking to Skoda UK to try, and get the details of exactly what was done on the car last year, as the garage didn't want to share the details as they had a different owner on record, hopefully Skoda UK will sort this out for me.

But for extra piece of mind I've taken out a warranty that specifically covers the engine, and gearbox, so that if something does goes wrong I wont have to foot the bill, also I'm hoping what ever work was done in November last year will also be under Skoda Warranty, You can also take a warranty out with skoda direct. I feel a lot happier with the warranty, and the money I saved on insurance by getting the VRS covers the warranty costs.

They may have done the "breather mod" or they may have changed the bits that spray the oil onto the bottom of the pistons, both have been known to fix issues.

How much oil consumption to 'too much'. In the old day (pre little children) I had cars that needed regular topping up - didnt overly concern me. Or are there underlying problems lurking within the more oil-thirsty units?

even my CTHE used some, I used to top up a litre every 3-5,000 miles.... which is fine...

the limits are a bit silly, like more than 1 litre every 500 miles will fail it! otherwise it may pass :o

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

There is a pinned thread at the top of the page written & posted by vxh26 which cover about all you need to know on the Twincharger issue with oil, and the Fixes.

Plenty good cars around and a replaced engine already in the car should not put you off.

Just be sure to buy a Skoda Warranty even if a Dealer sells the car with a Warranty. 

(lots of threads on the subject if you look.)

The Oil use that Skoda / VW said was within tolerances is 0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles)

So 1 litre in 1,242 miles.

Even they know that is sharn and they have replaced engines or done replacement oil spray jets when Oil Consumption Tests have shown oil used at 0.3 Litres in 621 miles.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

^^^ loads of good cars with CAVE engines... I had one! ran it for 50k , and never topped it up once! lol..... (and I had a TMC box on it running 199 bhp!) 

we have tried a few poles.... in a very un scientific way it seems about 25 % of them have issues (of people who came here, bear in mind people often come to forums to sort an issue!) ... so in the real world, chances are you will get a good one!

my best advice is try to get contact details of the previous owner , and ask them ;)  because my local dealer knew my CAVE car was a  good 'un they wanted it on the forecourt, and did the right deal to make it happen, they sold it 3 weeks later, and I still see it around! saw it last week! happy its still doing its new owner proud! the one I replaced it with, is now with another brisky member, and he loves it :)

I may yet end up with another! lol..

I pay just under 400 quid for the year. 10 years no claims I'm 30+. That's with business miles included. Before I had to add business, I was paying less than 300 quid! Can't believe how cheap they are to insure consider the power on tap

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

There is a pinned thread at the top of the page written & posted by vxh26 which cover about all you need to know on the Twincharger issue with oil, and the Fixes.

Plenty good cars around and a replaced engine already in the car should not put you off.

Just be sure to buy a Skoda Warranty even if a Dealer sells the car with a Warranty. 

(lots of threads on the subject if you look.)

That's kind - thanks for the pointers. One issue; I've got b*gger all spare time (1 wife, 2 jobs, 3 young kids). What I need to know is am I likely to end up with a pup with a CAVE engined car is it's not been tweaked. Cant afford to get it wrong! 

Who is selling NX11 GEJ (GREEN) & how many miles has it covered.?

http://ukvehicle.com/NX11GEJ

Have you checked the Service & Warranty History with Skoda UK Customer Services.?

There are plenty of good ones around and also some real horror story ones.

So best do your checking or it really is a lottery, and maybe one not worth playing.

You need to know what you can on the Engine and DSG, 

and any outstanding Service Campaign jobs.  ie DSG.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Edited by GoneOffSKi

PS

Many CAVE do not need tweaked.

Never needed or received a Breather Update or any other actions.

But it is best that the Car is running the latest Skoda Software Update, the later Spark Plugs or better still ones that are not the Skoda OEM fitment.

As to the DSG Service Campaign, not all cars 2010-2014 need the Oil changed and the Software Update on the DSG ECU.

Looking at the MOT History, @ 45,479 miles Feb 2016.

Failed on Sidelights, Brake light, Washer etc, fair enough. 

Before Brake Discs as Advisories etc.

So be sure all is looking OK now, Discs not too pitted and generally all well around the car, 

Lights, Washer, Tyres etc.

Advisory 2016 on Rear Coil Spring Fit not correct!!

Check out what that is all about, 

is the car lowered, what is fitted.

Stepping Rear Tyre.      

BUYER BEWARE!!

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I take it they meant uneven wear or such.

Maybe that tyre is replaced, maybe a rear suspension issue.

The Rear Coil is an odd one on the Advisory.

Basically take care that you know what you are looking at and check all you can, 

and have a second opinion.

It costs getting an Alignment Check done, getting the suspension or rear beam sorted out if there is an issue.

New Discs and Pads are £140 if those are required now or soon.

Tyres £75-£100 each.

??

How much is the car being sold for?

One to avoid at that price quite likely. Quite a few have been in accidents in the last year and a few written off then broken for parts. Plenty good ones at cheap prices without buying an accident repaired

Well unless you want one I crashed and repaired. Maybe best not to.