2015 1.2 TSI 105 Timing Chain Replacement

Well mine went in for its first service today, but I dropped it off last night as I'd noticed a rattle on cold starts. Pretty subtle to be honest, and only maybe 2-3 seconds, I wasn't particularly concerned but I wanted it noted before the warranty ended incase it ever became a problem.

Well I've just had a call to say they are replacing the timing chain under warranty today, and it should be ready by 2pm.

So what do we think, quiet workshop today? Or am I too cynical? ;)

I guess I should be pleased - well I'll certainly be impressed if it's all sorted on the first visit! It's done 9600 miles and is a year old on 31st March, although I'm not sure when it was actually built.

I guess they will be updated parts, but I'll ask anyway.

Edited by Tom_vRS

In thought it was a reasonably well documented issue on early 1.2TSIs in Polos etc.

I'll be interested to see if it sounds the same!

Well it's back. According to the invoice the timing chain was stretched and has been replaced at the grand cost of £694.70.

Parts used:

03F198158B - Repair kit (this looks to be comprehensive, including guides and tensioner - I'd be interested if anyone can confirm this).

Coolant topped up (x2) - its well over the max mark now, at least I can suck a bit out and keep it for future top ups *sigh*.

Sealant and paste.

Glad I didn't foot the bill. I'm impressed they did it the same day, I can't fault that at all.

I have mixed feelings about the overall service though, but that's for another thread. ;)

Well it's back. According to the invoice the timing chain was stretched and has been replaced at the grand cost of £694.70.

Parts used:

03F198158B - Repair kit (this looks to be comprehensive, including guides and tensioner - I'd be interested if anyone can confirm this).

Coolant topped up (x2) - its well over the max mark now, at least I can suck a bit out and keep it for future top ups *sigh*.

Sealant and paste.

Glad I didn't foot the bill. I'm impressed they did it the same day, I can't fault that at all.

I have mixed feelings about the overall service though, but that's for another thread. ;)

As long as they wer careful putting it all back together you should be ok :-). I always worry when they do such work on a turbo driven car that you end up with a boost leak as usually it involves taking off all the hoses for the turbo/intercooler!

• Like 1

Timing chain should not wear after those low miles and 1 years use.

Obviously why they changed to a long life belt on the new 110ps model.

Does make you wonder about the quality of VAG engines.

According to Honest John there is a long history of problems with timing chains in these VAG engines.The fault appears to be with the quality of the stampings as these are inferior due to the fact that VAG would not pay the price for the quality.This appears to be peculiar to VAG as other manufacturers have chain timed engines and no problems.

It's not just VAG mate, Vauxhall have had problems with chains for donkeys years, even Skoda had problems with chains when they were actually Skoda designed and built engines.

I hope the modified parts are a proper cure. Chains really should last the life of the engine IMHO.

According to Honest John there is a long history of problems with timing chains in these VAG engines.The fault appears to be with the quality of the stampings as these are inferior due to the fact that VAG would not pay the price for the quality.This appears to be peculiar to VAG as other manufacturers have chain timed engines and no problems.

I wouldn't say that. I shelled out almost £500 to have the chain and associated parts replaced on my Astra - and wasn't an unusual fault.

Some rattle on startup is fairly typical as the tensioner works from oil pressure. If it starts rattling when hot then you need to worry! Regular servicing helps, which is why I'm not a fan of variable or extended service schedules.

Edited by RapidPaul
  • Like 1

Honda dont have problems with their timing chains.

Nobody buys their cars anymore. ...lol...but the engines are great.

• Like 1