LED fog lights

I eventually managed to get round to fitting these the other night. 

Very easy to fit, each fog light unit is held in place with 2 torx screws, The front access cover pulls off thanks to a slot in the bottom to fit your hand inside. 

Other than that, the lamp itself is easy to fit. 

Here is the result: 

LED fogs.JPG

The light output is much better than the old halogens. The light pattern is very similar to the old lamps so no dazzling anyone, and no fault codes either. 

Now here's the kicker......

There is a 'dongle' in the cable between the LED lamp and the plug connector. I am guessing there is an LED driver circuit in there. Because of this circuitry, the LED won't dim up and down for the cornering function. It just comes straight on and goes straight off.. :dull:

When driving at night, its pretty obvious when the cornering lights are coming on but they do give out much more light. 

There is a sharp 100 degree bend along my road and it lit the kerbs up much better than the old lamps. It's just this non dimming thing to work out now....

These are the LEDs in question, purchased from here: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-treme-vision-led-fog-lamp

And yes, they are 'kin expensive!  :|

PHI-100-Original-X-treme-Ultinon-LED-Fog

post-6717-0-00666700-1458144632_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've had 3200 lumen output CREE LED kits in my Foglights for a month now too and the power output is immensely better than halogens... But you're right. No "dimming" just instead on/off on cornering and when reversing etc.

The lower drain on the battery is also more comforting so I have my CH/LH lights set to fogs and for a longer time frame now.

If you ever do discover a way to enable them to dim in and out... That would be great! Not essential, but a great touch.

Should be like this from the factory!

Looks weird with white/yellow light combo.

Found a cheaper price on eBay £99.95: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-X-treme-Vision-LED-Fog-Lamp-To-Replace-H8-H11-H16-Halogens-Twin-Pack-/252144375678

Edited by r08shaw

Same here with the CH/LH lighting. Changed to DRL and fog lights and set to 20 seconds rather than 10. 

It all depends on how the BCM handles the dimming of the fog lights. If it's just ramping the voltage up and down, the LEDs will just cut in and out at a certain point, as we are experiencing. If it was controlled via PWM/duty cycling it's likely they would dim up and down as this is the preferred method of controlling LED brightness. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I can confirm. Those lights works & looks well with Skoda Superb III – the light has the same temperature (color) as front beams and LED day lights -> Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Headlights H4 H7 & Fog H8 / H11/ H16 Xtreme Vision.

I tried those before – which I thought would be cheaper – but with no luck -> OSRAM LEDriving LED Fog Lamps For H8 / H11 / H16 (Twin Pack of Bulbs). They probably need extra converters.

• 7 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:02, Gizmo said:

No

LEDs use less power so you are not drawing more power and potentially damaging anything.

hmmmmmm

With a load resistor inline to stop can bus warning (bringing the load back up) are they using less power?

22 hours ago, Gizmo said:

With a load resistor they will draw the same power, if the car is coded for LEDs then they will draw less power.

Whats the VCDS process for coding LED's?

32 minutes ago, The Skud said:

Whats the VCDS process for coding LED's?

Im not sure VCDS can on the PQ35 (Yeti and MKII Octavia) and PQ36 (MKII Superb etc) cars for that you need VCP or maybe ODIS