Auto lights, ILA and HBA?

Hi guys,

Could someone tell me if the VRS has auto lights - as in lights that come on automatically depending on if it's dark or light?

What's the difference between intelligent light assistant and high beam assistant? Skoda brochure doesn't mention HBA but says ILA controls if car put full beam on, detects cars etc.

Thanks

Light assistant is typically auto lights and wipers. Some SE spec cars have this with a manual rear view mirror but on most variants where it is standard fit comes with an auto dip mirror too.

IBA is essentially light assist with high beam assist. Two types. Cars with HBA but no lane assist have a diode based HBA device mounted in the rear of the rear view mirror base. It detects lighting changes and isnt a camera....its OK of not foolproof. Fitted to Elegance/SE-L spec cars as standard, likely optional on the SE. These cars have an Audi-esque rear view mirror also.

Cars with Lane Assist, HBA functions via the camera that is used for the lane assist. Its more accurate and works better as I understand. Cars with Lane Assist but no HBA have all the relevant hardware already to support HBA and it just needs coding with VAG-Com. Some pay Skoda to have it from the factory and theres no need.

Unlike the Mk7 Golf that can be had with true ILA where the lane assist camera controls flaps in the bi-xenon lamps that adaptively mask the main beam to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic (so the car is always in main beam) the Octavia doesnt have that tech.

And yes the vRS has light assist. It can be coded to support ILA with HBA as they also come standard with lane assist in the UK.

Edited by pipsypreturns
  • Like 1

I'm slightly confused by this. Our style combi has auto lights/wipers (light assist as it's been referred to) but doesn't have Lane Assist (LA) and the associated camera and from my understanding then it doesn't have High Beam Assist (HBA).

There is some diode, as Pipsysreturn said above, in the forward facing part of the rear view mirror so can HBA (albeit a slightly primitive version) be enabled via VCDS or is this diode used solely for the auto lights?

If your mirror base looks like this you have diode based HBA which Skoda brand as Intelligent Light Assistant (sorry for the long URL)

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3910%2F14719222810_c07238c534_o.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfmk7.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D5157&docid=EjaYpgdWMTK99M&tbnid=clZXhd77cHiKUM%3A&w=1024&h=683&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=0K7qVojiNcTpUo7PmYAG

If you have lane assist it will look like this. The lane assist camera can also support HBA (thus giving such an equipped car ILA and not just Light Assistant) with just coding changes...the hardware is already there.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fphotos-0.carwow.co.uk%2Fblog%2F1600%2F42aa87bae9347e260df22d98e34b95855975f0e9.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carwow.co.uk%2Fblog%2Fvolkswagen-golf-options-review-036&docid=TECnlHNueZjgIM&tbnid=i1rPppEMrBZ45M%3A&w=600&h=400&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=ia_qVufwMMj_ULmBk9gJ

The light and rain sensor is separate to the HBA/Lane assist hardware regardless of the solution. Vehicles with light assistant only have a light/rain sensor...with or without a dimming rear view mirror depending on the vehicle spec/option selected.

Edited by pipsypreturns
  • Like 1

Brilliant. Thank you.

So my UK VRS with lane assist can be coded for HBA. That saved me some dollars.

Yep indeed it can...either buy a VCDS cable or see if one of the chaps on here who lives in the locality might do it for you for camaraderie/beer tokens :-)

• Like 1

Brilliant, that saves some cash for a simple software change which Skoda/VW charge heftily for.

All over it (like a ......!). I've just got to get the car and then get it to one lovely Briskodian to play with.

Beer tokens will be inbound.

If your mirror base looks like this you have diode based HBA which Skoda brand as Intelligent Light Assistant (sorry for the long URL)

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3910%2F14719222810_c07238c534_o.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfmk7.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D5157&docid=EjaYpgdWMTK99M&tbnid=clZXhd77cHiKUM%3A&w=1024&h=683&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=0K7qVojiNcTpUo7PmYAG

If you have lane assist it will look like this. The lane assist camera can also support HBA (thus giving such an equipped car ILA and not just Light Assistant) with just coding changes...the hardware is already there.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fphotos-0.carwow.co.uk%2Fblog%2F1600%2F42aa87bae9347e260df22d98e34b95855975f0e9.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carwow.co.uk%2Fblog%2Fvolkswagen-golf-options-review-036&docid=TECnlHNueZjgIM&tbnid=i1rPppEMrBZ45M%3A&w=600&h=400&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=ia_qVufwMMj_ULmBk9gJ

The light and rain sensor is separate to the HBA/Lane assist hardware regardless of the solution. Vehicles with light assistant only have a light/rain sensor...with or without a dimming rear view mirror depending on the vehicle spec/option selected.

Thanks for the reply Pipsyp.

I have neither type so I was mistaken when I quoted you above in post #2 - sorry about that. What I have can be seen here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/374815-annoying-wiper-issue/?p=4411384 and what I was wondering about is the sensor on the right hand side of the mirror body itself, not those attached to the windscreen.

I guess though from your reply I won't be able to code HBA given the lack of hardware.

Thanks for the reply Pipsyp.

I have neither type so I was mistaken when I quoted you above in post #2 - sorry about that. What I have can be seen here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/374815-annoying-wiper-issue/?p=4411384 and what I was wondering about is the sensor on the right hand side of the mirror body itself, not those attached to the windscreen.

I guess though from your reply I won't be able to code HBA given the lack of hardware.

No problem HeBeGeeBee, sounds like you have light assistant with auto dip mirror with no HBA hardware, same as my Mk7 Golf.

The sensor on the rear of the mirror is for detecting oncoming light, there is a similar sensor on the face of the mirror that detects lighting from the rear. The mirror uses these two feeds to control the photochomatic layer in the mirror glass (what makes it dim).

What the... !? Looking at these pics, I am pretty sure I have the camera there on my VRS, but no Lane Assist options visible anywhere in the car menus...

Is this something I can just enable with VCDS?

Now it is late, but I need to make some photos during daytime to show my setup, but pretty sure there is a camera on the base of the rearview mirror...

Sorry to go over this again......

It seems like the Skoda brochure is unclear about these differing tech's.

Light Assistant - Auto lights, coming home/leaving home lights/ LED DRL's.  Uses light and rain sensors.

AFS - system to control light direction (only with Bi-Xenon's).

ILA - System to modify lighting pattern dependant on weather, terrain, speed and on coming vehicles.  Uses Lane Assist camera module.

HBA - System to turn on/off full beam automatically.  Uses LA camera module.

Lane Assist - detects lane with camera module.

Brochure states that ILA also turns on the full beam automatically.  I assumed these were different systems?  Please correct me if ILA and HBA are part of the same system?

Also, for my peace of mind - VRS has Lane Assist, Light Assistant, Bi-Xenons with AFS, rain sensor and thus a auto dimming rear view mirror?

VRS does not come as standard with ILA and HBA but can be coded?  As it has the Lane Assist camera?

Sorry.......just making sure, as there are differing references to ILA, HBA, Auto lights etc etc.

Thanks.

Seb

Also, for my peace of mind - VRS has Lane Assist, Light Assistant, Bi-Xenons with AFS, rain sensor and thus a auto dimming rear view mirror?

VRS does not come as standard with ILA and HBA but can be coded?  As it has the Lane Assist camera?

Your vRS will definetly have dimming rear view mirror although the brochure is very confusing on this. 

As far as i'm aware yes, VCDS can code ILA with HBA on the vRS if its not be ordered from factory...

See post 29... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299424-octavia-iii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/?p=3821291

Edited by Exeterj
  • Like 1

Sorry to go over this again......

It seems like the Skoda brochure is unclear about these differing tech's.

Light Assistant - Auto lights, coming home/leaving home lights/ LED DRL's.  Uses light and rain sensors.

AFS - system to control light direction (only with Bi-Xenon's).

ILA - System to modify lighting pattern dependant on weather, terrain, speed and on coming vehicles.  Uses Lane Assist camera module.

HBA - System to turn on/off full beam automatically.  Uses LA camera module.

Lane Assist - detects lane with camera module.

Brochure states that ILA also turns on the full beam automatically.  I assumed these were different systems?  Please correct me if ILA and HBA are part of the same system?

Sorry.......just making sure, as there are differing references to ILA, HBA, Auto lights etc etc.

Thanks.

Seb

ILA on the Octavia is effectively Light assistant with HBA.   Its not true ILA like the Golf Mk7 can be spec'd with.  That employs additional shutters in the bi-xenon lamps that mask of parts of the main beam to allow the car to keep it on permanently without dazzling oncoming vehicles.  That does use the lane assist camera to control it.  You have to spec adaptive bi-xenons, lane and side scan assist on the Golf to get ILA though.

AFS is a feature of the adaptive bi-xenons, using various feeds it adjusts the beam shape depending on speed and weather conditions.  Its not ILA.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses.

This is what was confusing me - does AFS adjust the light pattern or does ILA with HBA.

The brochure says that ILA adjusts the pattern dependent on conditions, vehicles and can if required turn on/off full beam.

But my Skoda dealer said that ILA only turns on high beams and VRS adjusts lights normally.

I thought AFS just moved the headlights depending on turning the steering wheel, braking, accelerating etc. It's good but tech that's been around a while.

Not sure if it's inconsistency in documents.

Thanks for all your help. I will get whatever system I can enabled.

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses.

This is what was confusing me - does AFS adjust the light pattern or does ILA with HBA.

The brochure says that ILA adjusts the pattern dependent on conditions, vehicles and can if required turn on/off full beam.

But my Skoda dealer said that ILA only turns on high beams and VRS adjusts lights normally.

I thought AFS just moved the headlights depending on turning the steering wheel, braking, accelerating etc. It's good but tech that's been around a while.

Not sure if it's inconsistency in documents.

Thanks for all your help. I will get whatever system I can enabled.

Cheers.

AFS Bi-Xenons (as fitted to the Octavia) can adapt to speed/weather conditions....the basically have city, highway, rain and fog modes whereby the lights move around to provide a suitable beam pattern...they do this whether in dipped/high beam.  Fog mode only works with the fogs on, rain mode only works if the rain sensor is activated or the headlights have been switched on, on account of rain.  City/highway mode is speed dependant.

ILA on the Octavias only refers to high beam assist.  So cars with HBA in skoda speak have ILA.  Its no more clever than that.

True ILA is what the Golf Mk7 can be equipped with, really its intelligent High Beam Assist as rather than turning the high beam on and off....it turns it on and masks it from oncoming traffic as required.

So AFS is the adaptive beam pattern functionality of the bi-xenons, ILA is any Octavia that has high beam assist whether it has halogen/bi-xenons or diode/camera based HBA.

• Like 1

Perfect, thank you.  

It's good to know there are some tech geniuses on here, coz I am definitely not one! 

I'll ask a kind member with VCDS to activate the auto high beam (ILA) function for me.

Was reading Octavia manual in prep for when car arrives (hopefully next week), they call Brake Assist (HBA)?

Cheers.

Reading through the manual today properly for the first time I discovered that AFS adaptive bi-xenons do not operate in E=Economy mode - gawd knows why. However you can tweak them via the infotainment system (where you can system settings for each mode) to work even in Economy mode. I'll have a play tomorrow.

Reading through the manual today properly for the first time I discovered that AFS adaptive bi-xenons do not operate in E=Economy mode - gawd knows why. However you can tweak them via the infotainment system (where you can system settings for each mode) to work even in Economy mode. I'll have a play tomorrow.

So...to clarify, because I'm a little confused, if a vRS is advertised with HIGH BEAM ASSIT it in fact has the Intelligence Light Assistant 'extra'.

I've tried looking through specs, and building from scratch, and I can only have HBA included in ILA and not have it as a separate entity.

Yes. It seems to be that High Beam Assist is an active part of the Intelligent Light Assist. This is not standard on the VRS....which confused me and I didn't spec it! Luckily it can be enabled via VCDS, I am led to believe.

The AFS modifies the beam pattern as per the conditions, speed etc as well as moving the headlights dependent on the mode your in. This is standard on the VRS.

It confused me when I was looking at options and specs.

Hope that helps.

Seb

Thanks Seb. We've just bought a poorly advertised pre-reg vRS estate (picking up at the weekend) and trying to make out the true specs. It's advertised with, and we've been told it has, HBA which means it actually has ILA...I think.

• Like 1