Mk1 VRS 2ndary Air Pump - DIY?

shm

Hello all Briskoda users!

New member here, and new owner of my first Mk1 Octavia VRS Estate.

I have a question regarding the secondary air pump system on the car – as I have discovered doing at bit of research on the interwebs, these pumps can become a problem (i.e. noisy!).

The pump on my car isn’t as bad as some stories I’ve read, but does make a blowing/squealing sort of sound (although not every time the car’s started from cold).

My question is: would changing the pump be a job I could do myself?

I understand it needs doing from underneath the vehicle, so I’d need ramps or access to a lift (or would a kerb be enough?). I’ve also never done any vehicle maintenance before, but am a practical person.

I have read the Haynes manual section about the air pump and it seems pretty straightforward – couple of hoses and mounting bolts basically.

Sounds easy enough in theory, or am I being extremely naive?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

welcome to briskoda :) to be fair I don't know a great deal about the sai system.... its still there on my car but obsolete as its been mapped out....  its one of the things that can be deleted... I think there is a guide on here somewhere, but i don't know where! (I would be grateful if anyone knows where it is, as I want to take all the gubbins out of my engine bay!)

if you want to replace, its should be fairly simple to do, but check hoses too, to make sure you don't have a leak anywhere!

• Like 1

you will need ramps yes no a kerb will not do!!    the bolts to remove are a pain in the ass, lot of twisting and swearing, before you go off buy a new  one, its more likely the rivets have broken so just buy some bolts maybe m3 washers and nuts drill out rivets put bolts in and re fit pump.    should find it quieter,

as sharkrider says you could take it out get it mapped out, some have used a resistor but seems few people have seen the dash light still show up as a fault,.

• Like 2

Great, thanks sharkrider.

I did try the forum search first but must've missed the thread you linked to.

I just need to confirm the part number and track down a replacement pump.

Seems straightforward enough to replace. I'm not planning on going down the full removal process.

Good point about checking for leaks first though.

You'll find it easier for access once you have the car on ramps or axle stands to quickly remove the tray that slots into the underside of the bumper valance. The rivets mentioned hold the two halves of the pump plastic body together and you should definitely have a go at drilling these out and replacing with nuts and bolts. You'll find a new pump at the dealers costs an arm and a leg!

Don't go too mad. Look at the pump it'll likely be the forward rivets that have corroded. The rears may still be ok. Push the corroded rivets out with a small bradal or similar and replace with a nut and bolt. Sorted mine, think I was able to access all bar 2 which were ok anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rocketeers. Finally got round to looking at the pump and it appears just the front 3 rivets were corroded so I replaced with bolts. No noise now so a successful fix (until any of the other rivets fail perhaps). Thanks to all for the advice.

• Like 3