Text message help required

Afternoon,

I apologise for asking in this section;I did ask in Ice but got a good ignoring bar 1. I have a mk3 with Admunsen and a galaxy S6 my question is via the voice command is it possible to dictate and send a text message or is smartlink my only option? I can do everything else via voice just not that. My dealer said it was easy but I'll be buggered if I can work it out.

Is smartlink worth if and what else will it give me? Skype voice?

I like Smartlink. I have sent txt and WhatsApp messages just using the voice commands and it works well.

I only have Bolero so I also use it for navigation.

You can also ask questions for example 'who is the Prime Minister of England' and get a spoken answer. Some things it sounds like it displays an answer so I don't know yet if that pops up while stationary/engine off.

I am not a Skype user so can't comment on that.

Google are big in safety so limit what you can 'see'. Which is right really. Don't want to be reading Wikipedia while doing 70!

Car based systems are only going to improve. Early days for them at the moment.

I like Smartlink. I have sent txt and WhatsApp messages just using the voice commands and it works well.

You can also ask questions for example 'who is the Prime Minister of England' and get a spoken answer. Some things it sounds like it displays an answer so I don't know yet if that pops up while stationary/engine off.

Google are big in safety so limit what you can 'see'. Which is right really. Don't want to be reading Wikipedia while doing 70!

skype doesn't come up on smartlink but it is very very useful, if a bit fussy about the cables you use to connect with

Go into the text message screen, press the voice control button, see what options are available.

I know you can ask it to read a text, and you can reply with some generic replies, like 'just leaving, 'running late' etc.

Reading this has me puzzled.  Whenever I ask my Amundsen+ SmartLink connected iPhone a question like "Who is the Prime Minister?", I get the reply (something like), "Sorry, I can't answer that question because you are in the car."    It'll tell me what tomorrow's weather is going to be, but that's about it!

Reading your message Higgs, it implies your Bolero does more than the Amundsen ... can someone tell me the differences between the head units?

I guess it is more the difference between 'Android Auto' and the Apple system, rather than the head units.

Or maybe you need to ask "Who is the president" ;) And hope it does not say Trump.....

I have Mk3 Amundsen and Windows phone. If I receive a text I get the option to have the text read to me and then reply if I want, all by voice, but as far as I can tell I cannot just compose new texts and send via voice. 

I have Mk3 Amundsen and Windows phone. If I receive a text I get the option to have the text read to me and then reply if I want, all by voice, but as far as I can tell I cannot just compose new texts and send via voice. 

It seems to be a function of Cortana on the phone. The Amundsen is merely playing the announcement over the car speakers. If you press the button on the phone for voice search, you can say "Send Text" and Cortana will do the rest.

I tried this legally sitting on my drive - whether this can be done legally on the move is another matter.

It seems to be a function of Cortana on the phone. The Amundsen is merely playing the announcement over the car speakers. If you press the button on the phone for voice search, you can say "Send Text" and Cortana will do the rest.

I tried this legally sitting on my drive - whether this can be done legally on the move is another matter.

I think that might be right, now that I think of it my phone did it the other day when it wasn't plugged in - ie no smartlink, so it must be a google now feature (or cortana or siri) and yes it works when on the move

So what you're all saying that 2 months into my new contract I need to swap to a windows phone ☹️

Or an android one. I think it's just ios that doesn't do it

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Can't comment myself as I've used Windows Phone for past few years, never had an Android one.

In the Lumia, the speech stuff is changed through Cortana settings. Not sure where you would look in Android, sorry.

There must be a text-voice system in it I would have thought?

But I have a galaxy S6?

do you use google now? Might be a feature of the google launcher. If you're using the samsung touchwiz then it might not do it.

So what you're all saying that 2 months into my new contract I need to swap to a windows phone ☹️

Have you tried either calling handsfree or just not using phone while driving :) You might want to reassess - Is it really really "need" or just want ?

Sorry but I'm just lost on this coming from a slightly older generation, its just a phone, ignore it, or pull over it you really really must. So no, you definitely do not need anything of the such.

I prefer driving/riding that ****ing about with phones personally, they are just a distraction. Quite often an unsafe one and certainly an interruption to an enjoyable drive.

Funnily, this issue of mobiles whlst driving came up on tv last night on a programme about "speeding" but they chose to almost totally ignore the primary problem for the incident they mentioned which was that the guy was texted while driving leading to killing that girl

Oh no they preferred to concentration on the easy target - fact he was speeding too as its easy to jump on that bandwagon as you can't capture ****s ****ing about with phones in their hands yet with cameras

(OP post excepted from this statement, I understand you are using voice commands ). But honestly, I don't really see this as a "need" at all

Back in my teens the only people who had and could afford phones were important people like my father who was a major intl sales rep who needed it as he was travelling worldwide often and barely was around. God knows how people coped without such devices inches from their hands at all times.

Edited by vRSAnt

Hmmm,  but what about those of us who are working. Handsfree and voice text saves me loads of hassle and wasted mileage. A lot of the sites I visit have Strict Mobile phone policies which means they have to be turned off and handed in. It can take a while once its turned back on to get missed calls and voicemails so as Im driving down the road a sudden "Tim are you still on site"? can save a lot of grief.

Have you tried either calling handsfree or just not using phone while driving :) You might want to reassess - Is it really really "need" or just want ?

Sorry but I'm just lost on this coming from a slightly older generation, its just a phone, ignore it, or pull over it you really really must. So no, you definitely do not need anything of the such.

I prefer driving/riding that ****ing about with phones personally, they are just a distraction. Quite often an unsafe one and certainly an interruption to an enjoyable drive.

Funnily, this issue of mobiles whlst driving came up on tv last night on a programme about "speeding" but they chose to almost totally ignore the primary problem for the incident they mentioned which was that the guy was texted while driving leading to killing that girl

Oh no they preferred to concentration on the easy target - fact he was speeding too as its easy to jump on that bandwagon as you can't capture ****s ****ing about with phones in their hands yet with cameras

(OP post excepted from this statement, I understand you are using voice commands ). But honestly, I don't really see this as a "need" at all

Back in my teens the only people who had and could afford phones were important people like my father who was a major intl sales rep who needed it as he was travelling worldwide often and barely was around. God knows how people coped without such devices inches from their hands at all times.

Fine in a world where we weren't working in jobs where people expect you to be contactable. Frankly if speaking commands to the car in response to verbal prompts is considered dangerous then we'd better ban speaking to passengers as that is far more distracting.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

A lot of companies have strict mobile phone policies too like you are expected not to be driving and using a phone....so its horses for courses there ! So you wouldn't be expected to have calls or text on site, but not while driving either, what you gonna do ?

I do get the whole problem of the life work balance just that I don't think pushing it to the driving environment is "fair" nor safe....but try telling that to companies ever out to just tick the box, pushing the employee further and further etc

- and I'm sure many bosss don't really care or take into account traffic causing lateness, or 5 minute breaks needed in the hour etc etc.

But ....frankly if it was me I'd just let them sweat and wait until the end of the day, what do they bloody expect up to the minute reports -

but then I've always preferred to do down a simpler route to that my dad went ( deciding life is more important than money and so a job on the road isn't for me anyway.

and family and friends can wait too....whats more important getting in one piece or being everyones bitch? I know from experience big companies like Bosch actually (correctly) frown on mobile use.

But Inevitably its your safety (and others) you have to consider, as long as you feel you are just as safe as any other fully concentrating road user I have no problem. Of course its totally up to the jurisdiction if you were involved in accident and proven to be using the device, handsfree or not, could be considered undue care still - same as its quite possible for me to eat or drink with some common sense whilst driving but its very easy for it to become distracting.

I'm just saying myself I don't think using such devices MORE whilst driving is the answer in all cases - especially personal use - and why would you ask "who is" type questions into a stupid device when your focus should be on driving ? I just don't get it, sorry.

If you really feel its that important maybe you should be going down the automated driver route which is getting more popular unfortunately and the increasing pressure of people to want to take them minds off driving and onto other thigns will only bring about the demise of active driving - I'd personally rather never use devices in a car but do understand to some degree the basic need for business. But this should be short and sweet only.

Oh well, that's the end of this thread then ;)

It wasn't meant to be a threadstopper, sorry, just putting my own personal perspective on this, which (might) make you might even reconsider the priority by looking at a different view point - but perhaps not.

My personal view point is no matter what its a distraction (just how much is up to question) and just allowing technology to make it easier to use doesn't mean its not a distraction.

Yet they jump on speeding as its easy to measure but they can run over someone whilst using a mobile but the emphasis is still on speeding as they can easily jump on that.

Kind of ****es me off hence my rant, as I think technology/phones in cars is becoming a bigger safety issue than speed - of course you are entitled to disagree with me on this I'm not so self-absorbed to assume mine is the only opinion in the world.