Cycle rack and roof bars

I have a Mk2 vRS hatch (without a towbar) and am looking to fit a bike carrier.

I found a few old threads on here suggesting the ones that hang on the back of the car aren't a great idea, as the top clips would need to fit to the rear window glass and the bottom one's don't really have anywhere to go.

How do roof bars fit?  As far as I can tell there's a ridge along the edge of the roof rather than a channel, so do they clamp between the ridge and door frame?  Does this cause the already leaky door seals to get worse? 

Roofbox.co.uk are showing package deals of bars and a pair of carrier for £90 for Cruz Bici-racks, or £145 for  Thule freeride 532, both with the basic Cruz roof bars, but also offer Cruz Premium bars, Altera bars or Whisper bars.

Anyone got any experience of these systems, or any better suggestions?

I have a Mk2 vRS hatch (without a towbar) and am looking to fit a bike carrier.

I found a few old threads on here suggesting the ones that hang on the back of the car aren't a great idea, as the top clips would need to fit to the rear window glass and the bottom one's don't really have anywhere to go.

How do roof bars fit?  As far as I can tell there's a ridge along the edge of the roof rather than a channel, so do they clamp between the ridge and door frame?  Does this cause the already leaky door seals to get worse? 

Roofbox.co.uk are showing package deals of bars and a pair of carrier for £90 for Cruz Bici-racks, or £145 for  Thule freeride 532, both with the basic Cruz roof bars, but also offer Cruz Premium bars, Altera bars or Whisper bars.

Anyone got any experience of these systems, or any better suggestions?

I have just a few weeks ago got hold of a set of genuine Skoda roof bars (actually Thule Aerobars) and the Freeride 532 carriers.

The bars sit on top of the roof with moulded pads that fit over the ridge in the roof, and then a metal plate slips between the door seal and the door frame and clamps up by tightening an allen bolt. If you open the doors and look at the top of the frame you will see a threaded hole, this is where the metal plate anchors. (Doesn't thread in, just sits in the hole)

I poured a good few watering cans of water over the doors post fitment, and didn't notice any leaks. It hasn't rained particularly hard here yet so hasn't been tested 100%.

The Freeride 532 biked carriers im very happy with, once you get to know exactly how they work its a breeze getting bikes on and off.

post-42335-0-79782300-1458823114_thumb.jpg

Edited by brown_d9
  • Like 1

Get Thule Aero or Wing bars rather than cheap square bars, you'll be surprised by how much they can whistle. 

Thule 591 bike racks are easy to use and if you shop about just as cheap

If you order your roof bars from Roofbox etc  give them a call and get extra locks keyed alike so you only need the one key to open any of the locks.

Cheers, sounds like Thule might make sense if they're the ones Skoda rebrand, but they're about £100 more than the basic Cruz ones, anyone here tried the Cruz bars?

I'm assuming the bars go on and off pretty quickly?  I'd only be using them occasionally so wouldn't want to leave them on all the time, so not overly worried about noise or fuel economy as the bike's will presumably be more of an issue than the bars.  

Cheers, sounds like Thule might make sense if they're the ones Skoda rebrand, but they're about £100 more than the basic Cruz ones, anyone here tried the Cruz bars?

I'm assuming the bars go on and off pretty quickly?  I'd only be using them occasionally so wouldn't want to leave them on all the time, so not overly worried about noise or fuel economy as the bike's will presumably be more of an issue than the bars.  

There easy enough to get on and off, but its a pain in the arse.

I thought I would take them on and off, but in the end have just left them there.

The Aerobars are quiet enough not the bother me being on there all the time, a crosswind is the only time the noise gets annoying.

Soon fixed with the stereo volume controls though!

I bought my bars for £77 second hand, and the roof carriers were only £38 each (brand new) from rosebikes.com

They arrived from Germany in 2 business days.