Noisy wipers

Good evening,

The wipers on my 2010 2.0CR estate have developed a very annoying noise - I think this started when I had the car wshed a couple of weeks ago and the guy sponging the windscreen was "surprised" by the wipers activating (I leave them on auto all the time). I didn;t think anything of this until it started raining and now the wipers make a sort of clonk when they are at the start of their sweep - once going across the screen they do not make any noise. I have replaced the wipers yesterday but they still make the nosie - its not any residue from the car wash on the screen (have cleaned it with glass cleaner) or wipers (which are new). I am thinking that the interface of wiper blade/car wash guy and sponge have moved them on their spindles so that they are now in a slightly different position to before - anybody have any thoughts on this, if it could be the position on the spindles how easy/difficult is this to alter? Or could it be something else. Prior to this they were lovely and silent when operating.

Any thoughts/pointers gladly received.

Happy Easter to all.

Chris

If they're juddering it may be that the wiper arm is slightly twisted. The actual rubber blade has to flip over when the wiper arm changes direction at the end of the stroke. If the arm is slightly twisted around it can't do this properly and you get the blade 'digging in' on the screen and juddering.

You can fix it by using an adjustable wrench to twist the arm back - twist it opposite to the direction the blade is juddering on e.g. if the blade is juddering while it travels up the windscreen, twist the arm towards the bottom of the screen. Apply the wrench to the end near where the blade is attached. Do it a little at a time until the juddering stops.

• Like 1

Sounds to me that they are out of position due to being forced or held while motor is turning.

If you look at them at rest then as soon as you switch them on they are going down for a second then going up which will give you the clunk.

Take it to any garage locally and they should be able to reset them on the spindle at the motor rather than at the arms...

Used to have this quite a lot in my garage at winter time with people putting wipers on that were frozen to the window.

• Like 1