upgraded clutch help!

Right guys need some help!!! i know this has been covered before but I've done a lot of searching reading and phoning.  a lot of my searches have pulled up topics from a few years ago so not sure if anything has progressed since. Ive just made a purchase of a gt1756 hybrid so I'm going to be looking at 220bhp and anything from 330-380ftlb what is going to be the best clutch for daily car with the occasional lead foot.  i don't mind a heavier pedal feel, but i don't want an on\off racing style clutch, and preferably as little chatter as possible.

so my question is, can the above be done or am i ****ing in the wind and can only have power and torque that i want with a chattery car? 

Its installing an SMF which causes the chatter as the gearbox is the part which chatters and is silenced by the stock dual mass flywheel that comes with the car from the factory.

There are a few members on here which run uprated DMFs which can apparently handle the extra torque. (coskev and stevobevo I belive)

I however I opted for a 666 clutch and SMF from CG motorsport. It engages like a standard, does chatter in neutral but I have my radio on most of the time so don't hear it.

hope this helps

cheers for the replies

duck what clutch setup are you running and where did you source it from? I've spoke to man and he hasn't any clutches at the min 

think I'm heading towards sachs organic from darkside

Edited by stu987

I have xman DMF and clutch, its the DMF from a 2.0TDI and Clutch from a VW Transporter as far as I know, suppose to be good for 400lbs torque.

Mine is an everyday car and I decided I could not live with a SMF due to the noise, before this setup I had the sachs uprated clutch and sachs DMF, the DMF died before the clutch which is why I wanted to try a different DMF this time.

The xman setup is close to half the price of sachs, when I brought the uprated sachs I think it was around £1000 with DMF, xman is £530.

Edited by duck
  • Like 1

wow didn't know it was that much difference how long have you had the xman setup? where did you get your uprated sachs from before the dmf failed? i really don't want to be paying almost 1000 for it to fail!!!

cheers stevobevo just out of curiosity how much was the gearbox rebuild and do you know what fluid the replaced stock fluid with? and how are the ns2r's thinking about getting some

duck how much power and torque you running?

I brought the Sachs uprated clutch from one of the site sponsors, looking now a similar set-up would cost just over £800.

I just have a re-map at the minute but have a GTB1756 waiting to be fitted when I get time, had to get the DMF replaced first so everything is ready for it.

• 3 months later...

I have xman DMF and clutch, its the DMF from a 2.0TDI and Clutch from a VW Transporter as far as I know, suppose to be good for 400lbs torque.

Mine is an everyday car and I decided I could not live with a SMF due to the noise, before this setup I had the sachs uprated clutch and sachs DMF, the DMF died before the clutch which is why I wanted to try a different DMF this time.

The xman setup is close to half the price of sachs, when I brought the uprated sachs I think it was around ?1000 with DMF, xman is ?530.

does yours clunk a little when turning the engine off? ive just fitted this clutch and it clunks like mad

• Like 1

I have just fitted an uprated clutch with a reconditioned dmf (2nd hand) from a car running a lot more power than what mine will be doing (started to slip on previous owner after bedding in at the end of a track day, car is ~260 ponies), the dmf sounds like it does a little bit of 'clunking' when you turn off the ignition. It was cheap for what it was, however since hearing the clunk I would not be surprised if it starts to slip once my car is mapped and running full power. Desperate to stay on the dmf route though!

JRJG

does yours clunk a little when turning the engine off? ive just fitted this clutch and it clunks like mad

Unfortunately the xman uprated DMF totally failed and I have received a refund from xman, he no longer sells this uprated DMF/Clutch due to problems with them.

It did not particularly clunk when turning off the engine it just rattled a lot.

I am now using a SMF and it is pretty noisy on idle. 

• Like 1

Its a pity as the setup before it failed was quiet and the clutch pedal was light with a smooth bite and felt pretty much standard, it was holding 350 lbs torque with no problem.

The two halves of the DMF were loose and had so much free play they were knocking against each other causing a really bad rattle/knocking noise, lucky I removed it when I did as I suspect it would not have been long until the two parts went separate ways!

xman was very professional and I got a refund with no drama.

Hopefully it is just a one off. When I came to enquire and order the setup Duck had fitted above, Xman said there had been a couple of returns and complaints so he was no longer selling them as he wanted to perfect the product first.

JRJG

I do reasonably high mileage, the rattle started at 2000 miles and when I replaced it I had done 3500 miles.

xman told me that he did not have the time and there was not enough profit in them to investigate the problems and develop a solution so he said he would no longer be selling them, I think he does a SMF/paddle clutch setup now.

What do you mean clunk?

Like one heavy bang or a "tsk tsk tsk" sort of clatter a few times?

its more of a clatter when switching the engine off...

Unfortunately the xman uprated DMF totally failed and I have received a refund from xman, he no longer sells this uprated DMF/Clutch due to problems with them.

It did not particularly clunk when turning off the engine it just rattled a lot.

I am now using a SMF and it is pretty noisy on idle. 

mines like a clunky rattle haha when turning the engine off... to be fair he said he would replace what ever the fault was but still inconvenience for me to get someone to take the clutch out, for me to send it away and my car to be stuck in the garage to wait for a new one... if this is the case how reliable are his turbos??? 

Phew! I almost fitted one of xman dmfs to mine but opted for a brand new standard setup instead.

Unlucky for Dan! Sounds like it might be faulty?

yeah, not happy with it to be honest mate.. havent got the time or money to be messing around with clutches- just want to fit and forget haha