Uprated DMF

Guys I want to hear from those who have the uprated xman DMF fitted.

What power you running, and for how long?

I'm mainly concerned with the DMF, not the Kevlar clutch and plate.

Hopefully opinions from those that actually have it fitted please :)

Cheers

Oo please do give it a review once fitted for the benefit of those considering it..

Did you get the full kit? And what sort of power you running?

If I was to go for it, I'd probably only want the flywheel, as I've got a brand new sre clutch kit sat waiting to be fitted.

The one thing I don't understand is, if DMFs are tuned by the manufacturers to specific applications (our pd130/pd150s), then wouldn't the xman 2.0 CR flywheel (which probably uses stronger springs) just be stiffer and maybe transmit noises like an SMF due to it having stiffer damping springs in the construction :-/

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it lol

I was planning on doing a comparison for my own info so I could write it up I guess.

I brought the full kit, they are suppose to be good for 400 ft/lbs, currently I have a sachs DMF and uprated sachs clutch, the DMF is rattling and I get occasional slipping (which I think is caused by the DMF freeplay), did not want to pay out another £1000 on a clutch/DMF and don't want the SMF rattle so thought I would give this different set-up a go

At the minute I just have a remap but I am quiet hard on the clutch at low RPM full throttle etc.

I am going GTB1756 this year, the clutch is the first part then the turbo will be getting done, clutch won't be fitted till May as I have to much on at the minute.

• Like 1

That would be great, doesn't need to be a proper write up, just how it feels and if any issues arise etc :)

So you'll be looking at a safe 230ish bhp with that turbo, a lot of people continue to run the standard DMF at 1756 levels.

I've been toying with the idea of a 2260, keeping it at around 270bhp to keep within the camshaft limits.. But really don't want to go SMF.

So it's either sachs sre kit with OEM DMF and torque limited map, or sachs sre with xman DMF and more aggressive map.. Hmmm

Standard DMF/clutch seems to be a bit pot luck, some people seem to run them successfully with high power/torque, my experience has not been so good, after the remap the std clutch lasted about 4000 miles and was toast, the Sachs DMF in it now has been rattling for ages, I have also had two slave cylinders blow which is a total pain as gearbox out to replace them.

This is why I am happy to try out this different combination of DMF/clutch as I would not use another std DMF, it's suppose to be a light standard feeling pedal which I hope will be easy on the release bearing.

If you are going to the trouble of a 2260 not much point in limiting torque because of the clutch, might as well go the whole hog and unleash the beast  :D

Mines fine so far :)

2260 with nozzles running 2.5bar,done circa 7000 miles including a open pit lane track day and two sessions at combe action day.

Pedal is very light,and bite is like standard :)

I have a sachs uprated DMF, unsure of part number though, but it's held up to 4 track days (soon to be 5) and lots of abuse.

For he money I'd say the xman one is good especially as coskev has proven it works well in a high powered fabia

Mine arriving from xman next day or two. Car running 215 bhp and 310 lb ft for the last year,DMF now dying quickly.

Will report back when fitted but spoken to a guy running the same setup in a golf tdi @ 312 bhp and 410 lb ft torque who said he's had no problems with it....

I won't name him here but he's a well respected tuner and his figures are accurate!!

Interesting, looks like payday will bring more spends!

@coskev what's your driving style like? Do you gun it at low revs?

With a 2260 and nozzles you're probably about 360-400 ft/lbs which is bang on where I'll be soon!

@stevobeavo I didn't know sachs did an uprated DMF, isn't there options just the standard DMF and then a lighted SMF..?

@chris-H would like to hear back after you've fitted it mate! And I might know that golf lad you speak of.. Perhaps lol.

@duck yeah I get what you mean mate, but even torque limited on a 2260 will be hella quick! It's just low down, with a 2260 your suppose to use the revs more anyway :)

Might send Piotr a message :)

Yeah your torque comes in much higher up in the revs with a GTB,so they don't hammer the clutch at low revs.

I don't mistreat my car,I've got mechanical sympathy as I know how things work,but I'm not a slow driver either and do use the power on a regular basis ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had some time this weekend so fitted the uprated DMF and clutch kit, I can report the clutch is very light to operate, easily as light as standard if not a bit lighter, I had a sachs uprated clutch fitted and its much, much lighter pedal feel than that, no more rattling DMF and it idles smoothly now so the new DMF is doing its job fine.

Needed 2 washers between the starter motor and the bell housing to space it out, the ring gear on the new flywheel is wider than the original 1.9 DMF and the starter motor just catches the flywheel without spacing.

I took the trouble to weigh the original clutch/DMF and the new clutch/DMF, the clutches both weigh the same at 6kg, the 1.9 sachs DMF weighs 12.8kg, the 2.0 DMF weighs 10.5kg, so as well as being a stronger DMF you also save 2.5kg in weight.

Only time will tell how well this clutch/DMF lasts, I have had the gearbox out of the car 4 times now and hate doing this job so hope its tough and lasts a long time, next up is head bolts, FMIC and GTB1756 which should be a good test for it, also being an everyday car it will soon rack up some mileage.

Edited by duck
  • Like 2

I had the nose of the car in my single garage as it was tipping down with rain, not much room but dry and out of the wind, ideally I would have done the job on the driveway, a mate came around to help for a few hours and it definitely made it easier get box in and out with two people.

Took 10 hours to do, I have an engine hoist which I use to take the weight of the gearbox as they are very heavy, the subframe has to be lowered and pushed back slightly on the N/S to get the gearbox out.

I have seen people on the forum saying clutch change on the VRS is not to bad to do I but I think they are a naff job! 

• Like 1

Yeah your torque comes in much higher up in the revs with a GTB,so they don't hammer the clutch at low revs.

I don't mistreat my car,I've got mechanical sympathy as I know how things work,but I'm not a slow driver either and do use the power on a regular basis ;)

This is true, he drives pretty quick for an old man.

I had the nose of the car in my single garage as it was tipping down with rain, not much room but dry and out of the wind, ideally I would have done the job on the driveway, a mate came around to help for a few hours and it definitely made it easier get box in and out with two people.

Took 10 hours to do, I have an engine hoist which I use to take the weight of the gearbox as they are very heavy, the subframe has to be lowered and pushed back slightly on the N/S to get the gearbox out.

I have seen people on the forum saying clutch change on the VRS is not to bad to do I but I think they are a naff job!

Just weighing up my options, its either pay someone to do a oem clutch change for just over £500 or go for the uprated clutch for a similar price and fit it myself.

I did the pulsar on my drive which whilst wasn't as bad as expected, it's still not a job id want to do again.

Cheers for the input though.

• Like 1