Remap caused boost leak

Had the Fabia remapped today using an STS from Shark, the car drove fantastic for the first 20 mins but then started to really stutter below 2k rpm, even more than the common BLT stutter. Then about 10 mins later it wasn't boosting properly with reduced power and also as the turbo spools up there's a loud hissing coming from the engine. 

If a pipe had blown off completely would it have no power at all? Thinking maybe a boost pipe is loose or split, not had time to look at all the pipes but the top ones look ok, need to get underneath and have a look at the others. 

Its quite possible that a weak pipe has split or blown off with the increase in boost pressure. By the sounds of it, its going to be a decent size split

• Like 1

It's normally the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler that pops off. Most put self tappers through however you may be able to put a clamp round it like ive done in my project thread but for the turbo coupler.

• Like 1

Would a boost leak create more soot? My clean tailpipe was pretty black after the 30 minute drive, the last 10 minutes were me getting home after the problems started.  

Would a boost leak create more soot? My clean tailpipe was pretty black after the 30 minute drive, the last 10 minutes were me getting home after the problems started.

Yes. The ecu is injecting the amount of fuel for the air it thinks is going into the engine, but this is too much as some air is escaping. Hence the soot.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do remaps create a bit more soot? Going into garage tomorrow morning, hopefully an easy fix but needs sorted so it won't happen again if a pipe has blown off, if it's split then must have been a weakness. 

Edited by VRSD30

Do remaps create a bit more soot? Going into garage tomorrow morning, hopefully an easy fix but needs sorted so it won't happen again if a pipe has blown off, if it's split then must have been a weakness.

They can do. Soot is just a sign of excess fuel.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do remaps create a bit more soot?

I assume you didn't particularly read up about a remap before you had it mapped then?

In simple terms : yes, there will more than likely be more spot after a remap.

I hope they get your pipe replaced for a reasonable price.

JRJG

I assume you didn't particularly read up about a remap before you had it mapped then?

In simple terms : yes, there will more than likely be more spot after a remap.

I hope they get your pipe replaced for a reasonable price.

JRJG

Never had a remap before, should have done more research. My last vRS had a DTUK PD box and hardly produced any more soot. 

Me too, will see what the damage is tomorrow! 

Never had a remap before, should have done more research. My last vRS had a DTUK PD box and hardly produced any more soot.

Me too, will see what the damage is tomorrow!

It's quite possible then that your current map is over fuelling slightly, hence the excess soot, although I think it is a small price to pay for the increase in power, you will just have to learn to love a dirty back end ;) Fingers crossed for you.

JRJG

• Like 1

It's quite possible then that your current map is over fuelling slightly, hence the excess soot, although I think it is a small price to pay for the increase in power, you will just have to learn to love a dirty back end ;) Fingers crossed for you.

JRJG

Is the over fuelling anything to worry about? Heard of bore wash which can cause problems? If not then I can live with the dirty back end :)

Is the over fuelling anything to worry about? Heard of bore wash which can cause problems? If not then I can live with the dirty back end :)

Not really no, in layman's terms to get the extra power more fuel is added, sometimes too much fuel, which is why you see some chimney style - smokescreen remapped diesels. If your's is just enough to be dirtying the exhaust, I wouldn't be concerned. It may be reducing your fuel economy minimally but I doubt it is even worth mentioning since you didn't remap the car for better economy ;)

Alternatively the soot you have seen may well just be cobwebs being blown out since the increase in power, it may clear up after a few thousand miles.

JRJG

• Like 1

Wouldn't expect to see soot on a stage 1 map, especially from Shark. I'd say it's more likely to be over fuelling due to the boost leak, especially as it was running clean before the issue started.

• Like 1

Tailpipe was nearly spotless before the first drive after the remap and when I got back it had a layer of soot coating it, rubbed a finger over the pipe and it was think black. Hope it's just to do with the boost leak, if not will have a crack with Ben. 

A pipe had blown off the turbo and snapped a lug so a new pipe has been ordered, I just hope this won't be a recurring problem.

Maybe worthwhile fitting a hard pipe work kit from DarksideDevelopments, I've got one on the Yeti Greenline project running 2.6bar of boost, great quality piece of kit :) Edited by DarrellGB
  • Like 2

Maybe worthwhile fitting a hard pipe work kit from DarksideDevelopments, I've got one on the Yeti Greenline project running 2.6bar of boost, great quality piece of kit :)

Shame about the £200+ price tag on it though!

Luckily the IC I bought came with the DS kit included :D

JRJG

• Like 1

Off the turbo? Usually it's the boost pipe off the intercooler.

JRJG

The pipe from the turbo to the IC, came loose at the turbo end but wasn't fully off. Not long since it had a new turbo fitted so it's possible it wasn't connected back properly.

Old pipe put back in until the new one arrives, £110 fitted. Took the car on a spirited drive after collecting it and the pipe didn't come off again *touch wood*, it may be OK now but I'd rather have a new pipe on for piece of mind. 

• Like 1

Bore wash is only related for petrols as the petrol "washes" the oil from the bore diesel is an oil so no problems apart from rear end gets filthy and folk think your car is knackered with the smoke lol

• Like 1