Diesel Felicia Estate - Front Coil Spring

Hi

Long story short - Felicia diesel estate (pre-facelift) just failed its MOT on a broken front spring. Garage said they could do it at a decent price and as that was all it needed I decided to have it done.

They've ordered a spring and fitted it but found it now rides about an inch and a half higher on that corner. They've checked with their supplier and they say they sent the right one but are sending a second anyway. If this still proves wrong they're planning fitting the two new ones to level it up but that entails double the labour and parts.

My question is what can be the problem? Could it be that my car had the wrong springs fitted previously or is the one they received likely to be for a different Felicia? (I'd have thought that the diesel would have the longest or stiffest springs so can't see this being the case.)

Any advice greatfully received. It's been a good old car so don't want to scrap it over something so straightforward to fix.

Thanks

Mitch

Edited by Red Studio

It's probably just the other side has got saggy with age (happens to us all). I do find new pattern springs can generally make most cars sit a bit higher than "looks right" though.

Thanks for replying. I thought the same as you but they seemed sure it was more than that. The pair should sort it but it looks like I've walked into a bill twice what I was expecting if they do that. No way back now.

I didn't even know the original spring had broken, not like when the struts collapse. Drove, stopped and steered just fine. Snapped somewhere near the top apparently.

(Looked in the online parts catalogue linked in the "pinned" threads above and there are two standard spring types plus another heavy duty listed for the 1.9 Combi. Looks like a new matched pair is the easiest option as I can't see us getting a part number off one of the old ones to see which one it is.)

Edited by Red Studio

You never change springs only on one side on an old car. Unless you plan running at NASCAR on an oval circuit ;)

• Like 2

I have a pair off springs in good condition if it's any use to you... came off a low mile slxi air con felicia another thing that can make them sit funny is if they changed the top mounts I just did my 16vers ones and found after a new top mount she sat low on side not done

Edited by uma1998

Hi uma thanks for the offer. I was away over the weekend so didn't see your reply. I think they've found a pair now but they're waiting for them to arrive.

They fitted the other spring from the initial order to bring both sides level but now it sits so high at the front with both springs fitted that it looked like the engine was out or it was half way to being converted into a 4x4. They said they've tracked down a pair of the right length now though they're a bit vague as to whether these are Felicia springs or just some that happen to be the same dimensions.

As a rough guide does anyone have an idea how much supplying and fitting a pair of front springs should be? I was originally quoted £130 for the one and realise it'll be a bit more than that but don't want to inadvertently pay for their mistake when the final bill arrives.

Thanks

Mitch

This is the list of available front coil springs for 1.9D.

Some dealers have the bad habit of disregarding the letter at the end of the code for the part.

Some Chinese coil springs sold in nice packages labeled "made in EU" are intentionally made longer because they will sag quickly (poor quality steel).

SW2FbFU.jpg

Yes, the list in the pinned threads seems to back that up too - three alternatives, one of which is heavy duty.

He's phoned and left a message to say it's ready. When I pick it up I'll see if he can let me know the part number he used and where it comes from. That may help someone else.