Tyres on citigo sport

DanGray

Well most tyres have ample dry grip for normal road use and you probably won't be doing track days in a Citigo so one of the better performers for wet grip might be a good idea.

I am toying with the idea of a set of all season tyres when the time comes to replace my Citigo tyres as it is truly hopeless in the snow on the Bridgestone Eco tyres but failing that I would be looking at something that is "A" rated for wet grip and reasonably quiet. Goodyear and Dunlop would be the ones that I would look at first (Goodyear own the rights to the Dunlop brand name in Europe so Dunlop E marked tyres for sale in the UK will almost certainly be made by Goodyear).

Edited by ronime

new tyres will seem better regardless, over worn ones.

Ive run the original set and just finishing a set of "better mpg, quieter" and in the end they made no difference.

just get round black ones. although I was discussing with my little son why they dont do multiple colours?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Have recently exchanged the Conti 2's on my new(ish), June 2015 5 door Greentech, at just 4.25k, as I reckoned that the factory-fitted Conti's were very "old hat" - as indeed they were, as Continental have discontinued making them & recently introduced the "5".  

I lashed out, & had Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Generation 2's fitted, & WHAT a difference (even though I do not tear-arse around corners);  they grip like "good 'uns": wet handling is superb, & the noise levels are fantastic.  They're extremely "confidence-making" & re-assuring.

I had initially wanted the Michelin Cross Climates, but they're not yet issued in the 14" version, but I'm more than happy with the Goodyears - (skint, but happy)!   Yeah, they cost me a (totally unnecessary) few hundred quid, but, one's life depends on just 4 little palm-sized patches of rubber, & even a "minor" bump/incident is going to cost more than a few hundred ackers - not to mention the time: trouble: trauma etc which is likely to be involved.

Incidentally, one of my neighbours (a nice girl, but somewhat ignorant about the merits of tyres) has recently stuffed her car into the back of another car (it's "one" way of stopping, but personally, I prefer using my brakes) & if she'd have had good tyres on her car rather than the well-worn budget tyres that she had,, she'd have probably not had the bump.  Her car's been in dry dock some 2 weeks now, & she's had to pay for a hire car to get her around.   THAT could probably all have been avoided, with more attention to her tyres.  But, we live & learn!!!

Thanks for sharing your positive views on the Vector 4Season 2s. I'm pretty certain a set of those will be going on our Citigo when the time comes to replace the current tyres.

Hi ronime, mate.

This "may" be of possible interest to you?

When I was first exploring the notion of fitting 4Seasons to my little jamjar (on a Briskoda Forum), another Briskodite suggested that I buy the tyres on line, & have them delivered to & then fitted by my Tyre Factor.   I'm pretty sure that the website that he suggested, was "camskill", & if I went down his route, I would have saved myself some £70-ish on the deal.

But as I would have also then had to pay VAT, tyre disposal costs and the fitting charges, I decided that there wouldn't be all that much in it, & I took the "easy" (albeit probably a tad more expensive) option - I used Kwik Fit to supply & fit the tyres, & I found them to be all that I expected or indeed wanted.

Whatever route one chooses, there's always someone who knows a cheaper route, but "you pays yer money, & you takes yer choice" is my motto. 

I'm all for an easy life, & whilst it may well have cost me a few quid more, the tyres themselves are excellent - I don't regret making the change for one moment.  Any driver with years of experience "knows" the difference between good & not-quite-so-good tyres, &  the 4Seasons are bloody good.

Make the change & see for yourself ronime, but do please keep everyone posted.

Edited by Michaelski
  • Like 1

I'll have said it before but I do happen to have the Goodyear All Seasons on my little Hyundai i10. Fitted them from new (sold the original OEM tyres with less than 50 miles on them). No complaints whatsoever. And they're hardly what you'd call expensive. They're wearing well having been on there for five years but the mileage is low.  

In your position the Cross Climates would have been first choice but if they're no available in that size then so be it.

I have winter tyres and steeel wheels for the Yeti and TBH wouldn't bother next time...I'd get the Cross Climates. Nothing wrong with winters tyres and steelies - but it is a bit of a faff swapping and storing them...especially if Michelin C/ Climates are almost as good.

Hi oldstan,

I'm sure that it's already crossed your mind, but at 5 years old (& totally irrespective of the mileage) your tyres must really be coming to the end of their "eat by" date, as they'll have really suffered through the ravages of time, & can't be as road worthy as when they were new(ish).

A potential problem (& a perhaps expensive one) but at 5 years old, I really would have them checked out by a wholly-reliable tyre factor, as tyres do deteriorate after just a few years - & it is your life that's depending on them.       Also, (& not a lot of people know this) but if you "were" to have a major bump, Insurance Assessors (so I was actually told by one) do check out the state of tyres fitted to the car, & if they feel that the accident could have been partially self-inflicted, then (as they're paid to) they recommend the Ins. Company to dodge paying out, by claiming that the adverse state of the tyres were a contributory factor.  

Just thought that I'd put in my 2 pennorth on that, but best of luck with your black, roundy things! 

Point taken, Michaelski.  Obviously enough I do check them meticulously and they show no outward signs of degredation...but an issue well worth considering.

Edited by oldstan

Well, best of luck with them, oldstan, but, & without prejudice,  I have the notion that tyres can deteriorate on the inside as well as the more obvious signs on the exterior walls.   I'd bet that most tyre factors would recommend you binning them (& in the process, filling their coffers with your cash) which is why one has to have total faith in the integrity of one's local "tyre man".

Personally, as I don't believe in economising on tyres to even the slightest degree (hence me recently shelling out hundreds of my hard-earned ackers on replacing mine at just 4.5k) & worthless as my life is  (according to SWMBO) I don't regret changing them at all - I feel much more confident & safe with the new black things, & it was money well worth spendingThe money that I did spend, is but a drop in the ocean should I have suffered some sort of front-end-shunt.