Metallic scraping sound from front wheel

Hi all,

Whilst I had my car up over the weekend, I noticed the front driver side wheel making a scaping sound when turned by hand in neutral.  My first thought was something caught in the brake caliper/pad but I can't see any obviously bad grooves in the disc.

https://goo.gl/photos/ruF28BvFvqv9CtmPA

What else should I look at? The car's going in over the next month or so to get new shock mounts and bearings so I can ask them to take a look and replace parts at the same time.

Cheers!

I've had stones caught in the caliper 3 times, and every time it was rubbing on the edge of the disc not the face.

Stone trapped in the "slot" the disc fits into in the caliper. I couldn't see the stone until the caliper was removed.

Also reversing for a few meters can be enough to flick a stone trapped there out.

• Like 1

Sounds very much like something scraping the shield inside the disc

Have it up again, go full left lock and see if manipulating the shield changes the noise...

• Like 1

I've had stones caught in the caliper 3 times, and every time it was rubbing on the edge of the disc not the face.

Stone trapped in the "slot" the disc fits into in the caliper. I couldn't see the stone until the caliper was removed.

Also reversing for a few meters can be enough to flick a stone trapped there out.

Sounds very much like something scraping the shield inside the disc

Have it up again, go full left lock and see if manipulating the shield changes the noise...

Cheers guys, I'll try both.  Had to take the day off work to get the manifold reinstalled, so I jack both sides up and give it a go just as soon as I'm done with this mare-ish task...

Depending on the state of the disc shield it may be the shield itself touching the disc. Mine are rusted and as bits rot and become loose they bend into the disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk