Car alarm keeps going off

Hi guys,

I have a 14 plate vRS - recently moved into a cul-de-sac in January, for the past 2 months I've been hearing a car alarm, very intermittent happens during the day, and during the night, but haven't heard it at work....

You can say it goes off 3-4 times a day though. As we moved I didn't think nothing of it, until today, when I went outside and noticed that it was infact my car making these sounds.

The only change I've had to my car since February is I've had a Kenwood DNX521DAB installed by Skoda. It's been in and out the garage 3-4 times due to missing cables, and niggly things that needed to be done.. Do you think this is the cause of the issue? My only assumption is that as it goes off once in a while and not constant, I thought maybe a cat / dog has walked past it to trigger it. Are there any sensors within the unit to be aware of?

I think its an internal ultrasonic sensor but dont know where its located. If we leave our dog in the car it will trigger it. I believe spiders near the sensor can set it off as well as abrupt temperature changes, usually becaise a window is slightly open.

It can be turned off by pressing the small switch in the drivers door card above the door pocket and then lock the car within 30 seconds.

Oh right I see, would that always be the case, just weird how it's started happening, if I press the button and lock the door, the alarm wont go off?

Yes, I think so. In addition to the internal sensor I think there is a vibration/tilt sensor that sets off the alarm if the car is moved or pranged. Not sure if you have to double lock (as you do to remove deadlocks) to disable that alarm or if its covered by the internal switch procedure. Check the manual, its in there.

Edited by xman

Thank you.

I spoke with Skoda they have had 4 reports within 10 miles of each other within the past 5 weeks. Aparently this is a fault and requires the sensor to be removed and re wriring. They have said this is a big job and will take 3 days, all under warranty with courtesy car.

Very odd.

Which MOD Establishment do you live near or pirate radio station or the likes?

Or is some Car Thieves going around trying out badly their robbing technique for disabling alarms!

?

So was it the same technician that c-ock-ed up fitting Kenwood Installs to 4 different cars?

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay!

I do not live near any pirate radio stations or know of any car thieves in the area :)

My car went into the garage last Thursday and all they had done is stuck in a diagnostics machine into it and out came no faults, it has been referred to another skoda dealer ship which is next Friday, however the current dealership advised that the siren should be removed... They were willing to remove this but were not willing to pay for my insurance premiums... Considering this isn't my issue, I have raised an issue with customer care and they have advised that it should go into another dealership to find out if they can resolve it.. Chances are they may not be able to.

I am not sure whether the siren is corroded or damaged in some way hence it going off randomly, shall find out, but they do not seem to care about the fact it is disturbing my neighbours.. I have tried to swing this back into their hands of them being the fault, but the fact they can't fix it is really pathetic. They refuse to do work on it as they have had a few reports of this and they have been unable to fix the issue on the other cars.

Was a new siren fitted under warranty as a try?

I read your car is a 2014, 

but Alarm Siren replacement actually appears in the Service Schedule / Guidlines as to be replaced at 5 years,

obviously many last much longer than that, some are bound to be dodgy before then.

Skoda UK the Warranty Provider or a Dealership doing the work needs to get a Auto Electrician onto the job.

After all your Insurance asked if Tracker was Fitted, Factory Fit Alarm or Immobiliser, 

they did mean a working one.

Anyway, that is the beauty of a Warranty, Skoda need to get it sorted. 'Simply Clever' they are,

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Nope, absolutely nothing was done.. Because they tried to fix the other few cars that had the issue they thought it would be no point throwing money at a car when quite simply they had an idea that it wouldn't get resolved.

Skoda do really need to get their act together, if it doesn't get fixed after the new dealership has had a look, then I need to review my options as I don't know what else I can do.. I have literally thrown everything at them.

• 2 weeks later...

My car went into Northampton on Friday, they were able to perform some work on the car, they had replaced the interior sensor.

2 days later, alarm went off again and went off yesterday too. I've had enough, I've made a deal with MK Skoda, I'm buying a Octavia vRS 230 - they are write off my existing finance that I owe on the car due to the issues I've been facing.

So sad, but I can't deal with a car where an alarm goes off randomly and Skoda can't fix the bloody issue.. If I had this attitude and I did this At my work. I would get the sack.

Not only that, I am having to give up days holiday and drive to Northampton atleast 40 minutes away and they won't even give petrol money... Yet they still want to investigate car

• 4 weeks later...

Car is in the garage, the technician took the car home and it didn't go off, he's taking it home tonight also. I will be gutted if it does not go off as it's gone off 12 times in the past week.

This is so frustrating.

They wont replace any parts unless they can see it fault.. Even though I showed them a video

• 7 months later...

I had the problem with the alarm and indicators going off randomly, which kep the neighbours awake.

This was solved by changing the wiring loom, the one in the drivers door, and the door lock. It also had the interesting trait of setting off the indicators (all 4 of them), whilst driving, which is the problem I still have.

Any advice gratefully received on this one.