Alloy Rim Gators

My car should be here soon and I have had the 19" extremes on it but after reading several posts on here about the standard tyres having no alloy protection on them I was thinking of getting some alloy wheel rim gators just for my own piece of mind as I would be devastated if they got damaged.

Has anyone else fitted this or would you recomend another make of protector as I am open to what's the best protector to fit.

Thanks

It tends to depend on what tyres it's fitted with. As Rob says, different tyres/tyre manufacturers are better than others in this respect. Goodyears or Michelin's Pilot Sport range come to mind here.

If I could issue one word of caution regarding 'rim gators' and such like. I know of one instance on another forum, where the adhesive failed and detached at high speed (motorway). Due to the rotational forces involved, just one of these made quite a mess of the passenger door when it came off!

As such, I personally don't feel they're worth the risk of fitting. And I don't like the way they look when fitted either.

I've spoken a few times on the Alligators. They definitely protect the rims. The downside I found over time was that the ones on the front kept working out due to the steering effect flexing the side walls more than the rear. I have the original 18" rims. When I put Goodyear F1's on the front I left them off as I got sick of the weekly rounds with a rubber mallet. Unfortunately the F1's don't have as much protection on the Gemini's as they have on a Focus ST 2 I've seen. Guess it's down to width of rim edge. There are others on here say damage is caused by bad driving, but it is so easy in the real everyday world to catch them on a curb.

I've spoken a few times on the Alligators. They definitely protect the rims. The downside I found over time was that the ones on the front kept working out due to the steering effect flexing the side walls more than the rear. I have the original 18" rims. When I put Goodyear F1's on the front I left them off as I got sick of the weekly rounds with a rubber mallet. Unfortunately the F1's don't have as much protection on the Gemini's as they have on a Focus ST 2 I've seen. Guess it's down to width of rim edge. There are others on here say damage is caused by bad driving, but it is so easy in the real everyday world to catch them on a curb.

I've just got f1s on the front of my VRS with Geminis thinking they have great protection like they do on the wife's BMW but alas the design of the Geminis mean they are actually less protected than when fitted with the contisport2s that the car came with.

I'd say the alloy Gators are more hassle than they are worth though

I've seen wheels have very light scratches as a result of having them fitted. It goes against what they are supposed to do. They will protect the wheels but no doubt but if they are leaving behind other little marks I'd rather do without personally.

• Like 1

Just had my vRS with 19" Extremes, the design of the wheel is such that the polished bits are actually proud of the rim, with the profile being so low I don't think the alloy gators would be of much use - I also enquired about these a few weeks ago (£130 fitted was my best deal)..... As I have done on previous cars, I'll be going up one size on the width to 235's when I need new tyres, along with some rim protecting ribs, the extra width has certainly helped me keep the alloys damage free with them.

Just had my vRS with 19" Extremes, the design of the wheel is such that the polished bits are actually proud of the rim, with the profile being so low I don't think the alloy gators would be of much use - I also enquired about these a few weeks ago (£130 fitted was my best deal)..... As I have done on previous cars, I'll be going up one size on the width to 235's when I need new tyres, along with some rim protecting ribs, the extra width has certainly helped me keep the alloys damage free with them.

Mmmmmmmmm that's assuming they don't get damaged before you need to change the tyres.

I may just have to go straight to a tyre fitters straight from the dealers when I pick it up as I have a wife that will be eager to drive my car instead of her own when I actually get the bloôdy thing.

Mmmmmmmmm that's assuming they don't get damaged before you need to change the tyres.

I may just have to go straight to a tyre fitters straight from the dealers when I pick it up as I have a wife that will be eager to drive my car instead of her own when I actually get the bloôdy thing.

Just have to hope your tyre fitters don't damage the wheels changing the tyres like mine did :-(

When there's the potential, however slim, that they'll detach - I just wouldn't risk it. 

This one, fitted to a Polo decided to come off half way round a roundabout and was still half attached to the wheel. Result was damage to the wing, door, bumper and the bonnet...

Alloygatordamage03.jpg

I'd like to know if there are any sort of rim protection devices out there having now managed to do the drivers side wheel thanks to a pesky pheasant who had anything but road safety on it's tiny mind.

Just a slight graze along the rim, nothing like the other side (got the new one to replace it), this one will be easy to do.