It's dead

Well that's my vRS dead. day after I took it to the dealers to complain about a rattle on start up from the timing chain area, only to be told " they all do that Sir, its normal " The timing has jumped on start up and caused " catastrophic timing failure " according to the AA

Only had it 22 days and bought from a Skoda main dealer. Of which they've had it 5 days with other faults.

That's really good news just give them it back and either get your money back and buy another car or get an equivalent car from them. If it was me personally in your situation I'd go elsewhere that's only because iv had lots of problems with my car.it takes lots of visits to the dealers before they diagnosed the correct problem.Good luck with your next car Edited by firefox2
  • Like 1

I have. Abandoned it outside the dealership Friday night, Keys through showroom letterbox. Letter delivered Saturday morning FAO used car sales manager, rejecting the vehicle as not fit for purpose

• Like 2

I'd say you're on a solid footing here OP

The actual law you'll be relying on is the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and unless my quick glance has mislead me you're entirely within your rights to reject the vehicle within 30days of the date of purchase, with a few provisos

Important points would be, did you test drive the car?  Did you notice the chain rattle at the time?  Should you? Was the purchase price commensurate with a vehicle with mechanical problems? 

I would imagine a dealer that may try to get out of the situation would do so by claiming that you test drove the car and thought it was fine, and/or that the price reflected mechanical issues.

Not taking sides, just highlighting potential issues...

Hope the dealer takes it on the chin and it's not difficult :)

I've given them 14 days to reply. The dealership say a 5 door citigo is a realistic alternative loan car. Skoda assist / customer care disagree and are trying to source me an Octavia sized vehicle. Skoda have been really good, it's the main dealer who is proving incompetent.

Edited by Jondvrs

I've given them 14 days to reply. The dealership say a 5 door citigo is a realistic alternative loan car. Skoda assist / customer care disagree and are trying to source me an Octavia sized vehicle. Skoda have been really good, it's the main dealer who is proving incompetent.

If you're rejecting the car I don't believe the dealer is required to provide you with anything more than a refund of the purchase price...

Can't believe your dealer said that they all rattle. In contrast I was speaking recently to the service assistant at my dealer and I asked about the issues with timing chains. She asked me "is it rattling?" and explained that that would be a sure sign of a need for further investigation. She went on to say that if it was rattling that would be something that the technicians would pick up on.

According to Skoda assist, I get a loan vehicle as part of the 12 months warranty in the event of a mechanical failure until mine is repaired.

According to Skoda assist, I get a loan vehicle as part of the 12 months warranty in the event of a mechanical failure until mine is repaired.

Ah OK, that does make sense, but I thought you'd now rejected the vehicle?

Can you clarify, are you leaving it with the dealer with the intention of them refunding you and you buying another elsewhere, or are you expecting them to rectify the fault and return the car to you?

:)

If you're rejecting the car I don't believe the dealer is required to provide you with anything more than a refund of the purchase price...

The dealer should be bending over backwards to sort this situation out. That is if they value there reputation and there customers they should offer a car similar to what you have as a courtesy car.They should discuss with you other cars in stock that are similar to your vrs that you may be Iinterested in . They will probably try to talk to you about repair to your vrs first last but not least if you want to just get your money back they will have to cover this also.

The bottom line is they sold you a car not fit for purpose you need a car that is suitable for you to use until they sort it out.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I did test drive the car and it drove ok. I paid 8200 for a 2010 petrol vrs manual with 1 owner and full history. It has covered 53k

It only rattled briefly on start up once the engine was warm and never from a cold start.

I explained that didn't seem right and booked it in. On collection I was told it's because the oil is thin when warm, thats why the tensioner rattles. I was told this by the " master tech "

The dealer should be bending over backwards to sort this situation out.

Morally of course they should, but that doesn't change what's required of them by law...

A dealer would be under no legal obligation to provide a loan car for someone to go tooling around in to go motor shopping after they rejected a car, which is why I asked the OP for clarification on exactly what he's asked the dealer to do...

If it's being repaired a loan car would be expected, if it was a simple rejection and refund then I wouldn't...

Skoda assist have said they will liase with the main dealer and provide me with a car until I'm refunded. I tokd them I'm rejecting the car and they said it was " understandable "

This is on top of a hum coming from the clutch / dmf when moving off in first or reverse and an intermittent hesitation / misfire.

yeah don't settle for a repair just get the money back.

Skoda assist have said they will liase with the main dealer and provide me with a car until I'm refunded. I tokd them I'm rejecting the car and they said it was " understandable "

I'd say bravo to Skoda UK then, but that does beg the question...

If they've accepted the rejection how long does it take to raise a payment?

Or haven't they accepted your rejection?

Edited by hrvrs

Morally of course they should, but that doesn't change what's required of them by law...

A dealer would be under no legal obligation to provide a loan car for someone to go tooling around in to go motor shopping after they rejected a car, which is why I asked the OP for clarification on exactly what he's asked the dealer to do...

If it's being repaired a loan car would be expected, if it was a simple rejection and refund then I wouldn't...

I think as the car broke down on Friday and the fact that he had to post the keys threw the door the manager won't know the situation until Monday morning. He is rejecting the car but over the weekend he needs a replacement. Skoda assit is a great service that's why I renewed mine for another two years free car if ever mine breaks down unfortunately I have drove a lott of skoda assit cars of late.you only get the car from skoda assit for 48 hrs if my cars not ready they ask me to return it and give me one of there own courtesy cars or more often than not tell me just to keep the hire car till mine is ready and they cover the bill.

I've only handed the letter over in the dealership. No reply from them yet but I've explained to skoda assist I'm rejecting it.

Sounds good, if Skoda UK are saying it's "understandable" that would make it harder for the dealer to reject your rejection, if you will.

Not sure about the loan car situation, the dealer won't be looking at anything until Tuesday, so late Tuesday or Wednesday is realistically the earliest you'll get it - if it were me I'd probably not be so bothered...

I think as the car broke down on Friday and the fact that he had to post the keys threw the door the manager won't know the situation until Monday morning. He is rejecting the car but over the weekend he needs a replacement. Skoda assit is a great service that's why I renewed mine for another two years free car if ever mine breaks down unfortunately I have drove a lott of skoda assit cars of late.you only get the car from skoda assit for 48 hrs if my cars not ready they ask me to return it and give me one of there own courtesy cars or more often than not tell me just to keep the hire car till mine is ready and they cover the bill.

All sounds very normal for a manufacturer service, but the OP isn't getting the car repaired, he's rejected it, there's a very significant legal difference...

Unless the T&Cs of the Assist program allow for a loan car between the period of rejecting a car and a refund being issued I'd say Skoda are going above and beyond here

Which is nice of course...

Name and shame the dealership if the master tech says they all rattle on warm start up i would be very worried ,and blaming warm thin oil is he for real !, 

you should have an invoice with investigate engine rattle on start up from when you took it to the main dealer ,they dont have a leg to stand on,

The cost of repair if it is major failure at main dealer prices would be well over half the value of the car, it will be interesting to hear what bs the dealer says next,   

i hope you get the outcome you are happy with    

• Like 1