Leaking tailgate on MK1 vRS

Hi,

I have identified a leak in to my vRS boot.

The water runs in to the netted storage area on the right hand side; I can see it dripping in directly above this area, so it isn't coming in via the rear lamp unit and it isn't wash/wipe pipe leaking, that's on the other side.

I know this has cropped up on previous threads (and I have taken all their advice!) but I still can't solve it.

I can re-create the leak by running water down the right hand side channel, so I don't believe there is any ingress at the hinge at the top (apparently this is common?)

I've checked the rubber boot seal and that is fine.

I have unbolted the gas strut, pumped some sealant in and re-tightened it.....no joy.

I have smeared sealant on top of the weld points that are above and below the strut retaining bolt. .....still leaking.

Out of desperation I have tried smothering the entire bolt/bottom of the strut with sealant. That seemed to work temporarily, but then failed and the water started flowing again! Of course the fact that this blob of sealant is forced to move when I open/shut the boot probably doesnt help!

If anyone can through any light on this then I would be extremely grateful! It seems that the area around the strut mount is the weak point, but I've run out of ideas to fix it!

you issue sounds just like what I had . I did all the points you raised also. in the end I found my issue to be caused by a poor weld on the roof channel. I think I posted pics few years back. if you lift up the black channel trim you will see the welds . I poured water down that channel and could replicate it . I lightly smeared tiger seal down that channel. I painted mine same colour as car as my ocd was playing up. but it fixed my issue. hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bowders1

The other place they are prone to leaking is the boot seal, but underneath it where it fits over the lip. Had this issue on my Octavia, so I took the boot seal off filled the back of it with silicone sealant then refitted it and ever since no water has got into my boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently fitted a new boot seal due to a few different leaks all coming up at once on my hatch. The lions share of my leaks were coming from the rear sunroof drain channels. The ball and socket connection took very little to get overwhelmed by small volumes of water. I also resealed all the usual spots and seem to be 100% leak proof now.

Thanks for the replies folks. 

Unfortunately it isn't anything as simple as the boot seal and I'm sure the leak starts in the right hand channel of the hatch rather than under the roof trim.

I've got some clear waxoyl in the garage. I've not used it before......if I paint this in to the channel is it likely to act like like a sealant of just create a bloody awful mess?!! 

Predictably the waxoyl plan was pretty rubbish. 

The car is now sporting a makeshift water collection system involving a 5 litre container and black masking tape.

As long as Mrs Intheshed remembers to empty it before driving off then we'll be fine for the short term, however it looks like I'm in the market for a new vRS.