Are some of the budget manufacturers coming of age?

Nathanio

I always enjoy reading AutoBild 50 tyre wet/dry braking test, AutoBild performance tyre tests and EVO mags tyre reviews. 

What is becoming more apparent is that some of the cheaper brands are finally spending some decent money on development and actually trying to make a decent tyre that competes at the mid to high range of the market. This is good news as it helps the market overall and new players will hopefully drive new competition and innovation. 

For instance; GT Radial now has a development centre in MIRA and test centre at the 'Ring. That shows real intent. Their first real effort the SportActive has had a reasonable preview in EVO and on TyreReviews.co.uk (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/GT-Radial-SportActive-Launched.htm). Come a couple of generations of development it could be good. They also have been using an independent body to verify their product (DEKRA in this instance) which shows some home belief in it. 

I found it interesting that in the 50 tyre brake test (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2016-Summer-Tyre-Market-Overview-Braking.htm) that Semperit came 3rd! It's wet braking was very good. I also noted that the final 10 were classed as unsafe but I've seen plenty of cars on the road using them. Best to worst performance was 14m of distance! 

So is are some of them finally waking up and smelling the coffee and actually getting on with doing a proper job?

• Like 1

Different size, but i got 2 new pirelli p1 tyres fitted yesterday (195/65 R15) and they feel pretty good. Cant remember off hand what the firestone all seasons they re placed were, but theres still 2 on the back so i must check.

the P1 definitely sem quieter and grippy but less resistance ie braking is good, cornering feels good, but pulling away feels more lively and mpg is also better, though its early days, only put 150miles in them so far.

Ive done the budget tyres, on previous cars, and now ive stepped up the ladder a bit, i wont be going back down...

Some seem to be. Jinyu tyres get very good reviews and they're just about the cheapest tyre you can buy!

We had some Jinyu Zetas on the back of our Fabia when we bought, I wouldn't touch them with a 40mile barge pole! Absolutely dreadful; noisey, squealey, oversteer at 15mph on a damp bend.....

They felt like they were made of plastic and not rubber.

I only use AutoBild or Evil tyre reviews for comparison as they are the most independent out there. I generally don't follow user reviews unless I know whether they are reliable or not (I.e some of the members off here for instance).

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Barum Tyres for quite a few years now on Citroen Xantia & C5 and have two on the rear of my Octavia and honestly think they're fantastic tyres with solid wet and dry grip ... My vurrent from tyres are Rovelo RPX-988 which haven't caused an ounce of bother during the wettest winter I can remember .. Not sure what they'd be like on the back but they certainly aren't ditch finders in the way some budget tyres are ...

I fitted Wanlis to the front of a Xantia and exchanged them that same day as they where leathal with no grip in the dry so god only knows what the wet handling was like ... I'd a brand called Triangle fitted on the rear of my C5 when I purchased it that spun the car 3 times going around a roundabout on a mildly damp road so they where gotten rid of for Barums.

I am going to get the Barum Bravuris 3 in a couple of months when mine are down. I had the Bravuris 2 on my previous car. They are made by Continental with pretty much everything the SC5 has and named Barum and sold as mid range tyre.

Many chinese tyres are about o.k. in normal use but do not have a lot of reserve when the envelope is pushed, i.e in emergency situations.

Edited by 26DIPP

General tyres also made by Continental and have a punctute/damage warranty covering first few mm of wear (at my local at least anyway). Don't ride too bad either, bit hard to tell on swmbo's car though as it drives like a sailing yacht anyway. They're pretty quiet though. Do seem good value.