Decorative foils and insurance

Gyp

So if the car got bumped and the car was inspected by the insurance company's assessor and had the stripes on it,the cover would be null and void?

Indeed. They were clear about this during my call.

Sound advice and would undoubtedly reduce the chances of grief...especially for a youngster. (I started my first advanced lessons and tests at 18).

But likely to fall on deaf ears. A glance on most forums and a earwig in on most conversations (and this one is no exception) reveals far more interest in chipping your engine, fitting LED lights to various parts of the trim <snip>

When the lad got his motorbike, I added some remote control LEDs above the engine

https://youtu.be/c8U58OuHrMY

He's made it clear that if I even think I'm going to put LEDs on his Citigo he's going to break my nose

Edited by Gyp

Take the foils off,pop them in the post to the insurer and ask them to destroy them for you as £540 was a little too steep.

• 11 months later...
On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 20:04, alltorque said:

Get your lad to join IAM take the driving course. Once he has joined, get a quote from IAM Surety Insurance ... for IAM members and families only. They are brilliant tomdeal with and sholdcsave him/you some real money.

And the IAM driving tuition might well save his life, one day.

I think that the IAM insurance scheme will not insure under 19-year-olds?  I agree that Surety (now trading as Cornmarket) are great to deal with.  Lowest quote for me for the past 4 years and also an excellent policy.  £200.60 for my car with protected no claims, £200 excess, 10K miles per year and wife as named driver (she has not driven the car in 4 years "because it's an automatic"!).  But £40 dearer than Saga for my wife.

• 8 months later...

If it's of any interest whatsoever, I'm currently in the process (due later this week) of changing my car from a 75 PS Citigo SE-L to a 60PS SE-L.     The insurance from when it was new, in June 2016 was £191: from June 2017 it was a rather eye-watering £268.  The quote for this new Tonka Toy is only (er..."only") £168.  Yeah, I'm one year older now (pushing, or more aptly leaning on 78) & I've one more years' NCB, but the value of the vehicle has increased again, even though the Group has perhaps decreased by a factor of One.    Presumably??? there's perhaps around 4 months (ie. 1/3rd of last years premium of £268 also to be applied to the new premium - say £90) which would perhaps equate to a new total of some £250?    So, the cynical view is that car insurance continues to be on the up & up & up.       What must it be like for the younger/newly qualified drivers?   

The story unfolds further.................    I today contacted the Insurance Company to finalise their quote (speaking to a totally supercilious guy) only to find that their quote had now been increased to £191.   Only a Fiver I know, but when I queried the extra, I was told "because you now have a Number & that's generated a new quote"    So, apart from now having the Registration number (without which I previously couldn't proceed to complete on their original quotation)

not nuffin else has changed.   What a bunch of Plonkers!!!!!!    Motorists are (to them) but a captive audience who are there to be fleeced/shorn/screwed at will. but the Law says that we have to have them - warts (& there's certainly plenty of them) & all.

On 29/01/2018 at 11:59, Michaelski said:

So, the cynical view is that car insurance continues to be on the up & up. What must it be like for the younger/newly qualified drivers?   

Well, when I first got my 60PS SE-L at 18, the insurance came to £570 for the whole year and my family live in a VERY low risk area, I had 1 years NCD from being a named driver on my parents car with Admiral, and we had the multicar discount applied to the premium. That was the cheapest quote without a black box.

This year, however, I have 2 years NCD, my sister has been added on to the policy (she's 22 but has not accrued any named driver NCD), the car has been moved up to her student house, still a relatively low risk area, and our quote went up to £670 for the year (we moved the car sort of midway through the year so the renewal was actually £540 for the year).

Basically, people complaining that their insurance quotes 'are expensive' when they're anything over £200 really are sodding lucky. New drivers are regularly being quoted four figure sums for insurance, I'm still paying more than £500 a year for insurance and this year's renewal will most likely be over £500 again, and that's on the cheapest car we could find to insure. If I'd gone for an old banger Fiat Panda like I initially planned to do after passing, I was being quoted £1,500 a year to insure them WITH black boxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheInsanity1234 said:

Well, when I first got my 60PS SE-L at 18, the insurance came to £570 for the whole year and my family live in a VERY low risk area, I had 1 years NCD from being a named driver on my parents car with Admiral, and we had the multicar discount applied to the premium. That was the cheapest quote without a black box.

This year, however, I have 2 years NCD, my sister has been added on to the policy (she's 22 but has not accrued any named driver NCD), the car has been moved up to her student house, still a relatively low risk area, and our quote went up to £670 for the year (we moved the car sort of midway through the year so the renewal was actually £540 for the year).

Basically, people complaining that their insurance quotes 'are expensive' when they're anything over £200 really are sodding lucky. New drivers are regularly being quoted four figure sums for insurance, I'm still paying more than £500 a year for insurance and this year's renewal will most likely be over £500 again, and that's on the cheapest car we could find to insure. If I'd gone for an old banger Fiat Panda like I initially planned to do after passing, I was being quoted £1,500 a year to insure them WITH black boxes.

I’m 18, got a Citigo and it’s £600 and something. 

My 'umble commiserations to both Thelnsanity1234 & Jonny118118.

There aren't that many advantages in getting old & decrepit (I'm now leaning on 78) but car insurance must be one of the very, very few (cheapo seats at the Flicks, apart), as I reckon that when the Policy is due for renewal, I'll probably be getting mugged for some £200-£300 (if not more) & will just have to grin & bear it.

And that's one of the penalties of being a "young buck" I'm afraid - but it's a darn sight better than being a geriatric dropout, believe you me.

You'll get older: your NCB's will increase: you'll earn much more & then it will all fall into context  - it's called life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

My son had a similar thing with his 1999 MK1 yaris sr , decided to go the black box route they came out to fit it  and  inspected the car for any modifications  . Got a phone call later saying the wind deflectors on the front windows were not standard fit and they would cancel insurance if they were not removed . :angry:

15 hours ago, Michaelski said:

My 'umble commiserations to both Thelnsanity1234 & Jonny118118.

There aren't that many advantages in getting old & decrepit (I'm now leaning on 78) but car insurance must be one of the very, very few (cheapo seats at the Flicks, apart), as I reckon that when the Policy is due for renewal, I'll probably be getting mugged for some £200-£300 (if not more) & will just have to grin & bear it.

And that's one of the penalties of being a "young buck" I'm afraid - but it's a darn sight better than being a geriatric dropout, believe you me.

You'll get older: your NCB's will increase: you'll earn much more & then it will all fall into context  - it's called life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Worth being aware that a lot of companies won't start new policies for the over 80's, so the opportunity to shop around is massively curtailed. It's worth ensuring that whomever you're with at 79 hasn't got a reputation for significant rate increases for older drivers as you might not get the opportunity to switch insurers - it may be a choice of whatever the ever-increasing premium is, or getting the bus

Unfortunately that's life too.

Thanks for that Gyp.  I'm resigned to the fact that I may have to stick to my present Insurers when I reach that magic age.    However, I also may be dead, or banned from driving on health grounds (I wonder which is the worst) so will meet that problem as-and-when it arises.   When you're young, & think that anyone more than 40 years of age is on their last legs (as I once did) it's sort of reassuring to know that there is life (at least "some" form of it) well after 40, & all one has to do, is to seize it.     On the plus side, "old age" does have a tendency to make one somewhat phlegmatic.