Shall I go for it.......Possible new Yeti owner

mluton

So I took a look at this on Saturday and fell in love with it.

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicleadvert/skoda/yeti%20outdoor/611280

Spec-wise its fine, big improvement over my vRS, I want the 2 wheel drive, I want the outdoor look, I want the high MPG, price I'm happy with, includes an extra years mechanical cover also............but the original plan was to get something bigger than my mk1 octavia vRS and this to me seems the same size seating wise and also reduce my fuel cost as I currently do 300-350 miles per week.

3 kids, 2 in boosters, 1 in car seat. Currently OH has to sit in the back middle to accommodate all of us.......but it's once a week we will clamber into mine or we go on a family trip. We do have a Y reg Picasso which is fine for the big days out to, but is a petrol and might be replaced in the next 12 months.

Also I will be financing 70% of it and I'll be tied into it for 5 years in theory.

Only got a part Ex price of £300 for my vRS. :(, so that will be sold privately.

So undecided.........

Edited by mluton

Motorpoint are best avoided... they buy the cars that main dealers shy away from - and you have to ask yourself why the franchised Skoda dealer network didn't buy them - considering they can retail them at a higher price than motorpoint / car supermarkets.

I know someone who used to work there and he would never buy a car from them - many have been in an accident, have missing service history or are customer returns that have persistent issues on them that nobody could solve, so they go to auction, the dealers don't bid on them, the car supermarkets buy them instead, have a go at fixing them (often unsuccessfully) so they hide the issue and then try to back out of any come back via warranty by blaming the customer for having broken something.

• Like 1

I'd take the add to a Skoda dealership and see what they can do to get near the price, at least then your getting an approved car with main dealer history :)

It's a shame this car is not of interest

Wardy's Yeti Linky

Probably the best Yeti on here (no offence intended towards other Yeti owners)

I'd have to agree. Having had both the 2WD 110 and the 4WD170 Yetii, the latter is a far better car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So I took a look at this on Saturday and fell in love with it.

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicleadvert/skoda/yeti%20outdoor/611280

Spec-wise its fine, big improvement over my vRS, I want the 2 wheel drive, I want the outdoor look, I want the high MPG, price I'm happy with, includes an extra years mechanical cover also............but the original plan was to get something bigger than my mk1 octavia vRS and this to me seems the same size seating wise and also reduce my fuel cost as I currently do 300-350 miles per week.

3 kids, 2 in boosters, 1 in car seat. Currently OH has to sit in the back middle to accommodate all of us.......but it's once a week we will clamber into mine or we go on a family trip. We do have a Y reg Picasso which is fine for the big days out to, but is a petrol and might be replaced in the next 12 months.

Also I will be financing 70% of it and I'll be tied into it for 5 years in theory.

Only got a part Ex price of £300 for my vRS. :(, so that will be sold privately.

So undecided.........

Depends on what you call high MPG, but anything the size and shape of a Yeti is never going to be great (Mid 40’s I would say is the norm) , they claim:

"This SKODA YETI OUTDOOR achieves 

55.4 Miles Per Gallon”

:D

I tend to agree with the advice so far. You clearly plan to finance the car for a long time and don't want to be stuck with a lemon. Although this will still be under manufacturers warranty for a couple of years (but check this hasn't been compromised in some way) I'd pay a few quid more each month for peace of mind and an approved used warranty. Failing that, a more reputable used dealer. Also, if you are getting the finance from Motorpoint, their interest rates are often uncompetitive, so whilst the sticker price may look good, the monthlies on a more expensive dealer car may be less.

That said, the car itself should tick all your boxes. Space wise it's probably a tad smaller than your VRS but the space more useable. Because they are not that aerodynamic, don't expect brilliant mpg, particularly if you do a lot of motorway work. We find over 50 on a long A road run is perfectly possible, but a 70 mph motorway journey will see closer to 45 mpg.

I think the advice to print the ad and visit a few dealers to see what they can do is sound. But remember, if you're buying on finance, it's the cost to change based on deposit and monthly payments that really matter. Don't be put off by the price on the windscreen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with the advice so far. You clearly plan to finance the car for a long time and don't want to be stuck with a lemon. Although this will still be under manufacturers warranty for a couple of years (but check this hasn't been compromised in some way) I'd pay a few quid more each month for peace of mind and an approved used warranty. Failing that, a more reputable used dealer. Also, if you are getting the finance from Motorpoint, their interest rates are often uncompetitive, so whilst the sticker price may look good, the monthlies on a more expensive dealer car may be less.

That said, the car itself should tick all your boxes. Space wise it's probably a tad smaller than your VRS but the space more useable. Because they are not that aerodynamic, don't expect brilliant mpg, particularly if you do a lot of motorway work. We find over 50 on a long A road run is perfectly possible, but a 70 mph motorway journey will see closer to 45 mpg.

I think the advice to print the ad and visit a few dealers to see what they can do is sound. But remember, if you're buying on finance, it's the cost to change based on deposit and monthly payments that really matter. Don't be put off by the price on the windscreen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers for all the advice, Think I'll give the car supermarkets a miss.

Might have to put off the purchase a bit longer to get a bit more down payment and see what a main dealer can offer, But I will take a journey down to local skoda dealer the weekend to take a look.

Might get more than £300 for my perfectly fine 150K vRS from Skoda to.

I bought a Honda Jazz hybrid from Motorpoint. The car has been excellent. I liked the straightforward no haggle WYSIWYG approach. Nothing is more painful to me than dealing with slippery car salesmen!

I bought a Honda Jazz hybrid from Motorpoint. The car has been excellent. I liked the straightforward no haggle WYSIWYG approach. Nothing is more painful to me than dealing with slippery car salesmen!

I thought the sales approach was great and friendly on saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some good lease deals on SE spec which work out about £4K over 2 years, try mad sheep or fleetprices

Assuming you can hand it back just before second service then is going to be less than owning and taking a depreciation hit.

Last week were some bonkers deals on Monte Carlo spec (averaging about £125 per month) but they went quickly

Last week were some bonkers deals on Monte Carlo spec (averaging about £125 per month) but they went quickly

I always wonder why that is .....surely not excess stock on hand due to lack of demand?.

Finance co competition perhaps?.

Edited by Ryeman

Cheers for all the advice, Think I'll give the car supermarkets a miss.

Might have to put off the purchase a bit longer to get a bit more down payment and see what a main dealer can offer, But I will take a journey down to local skoda dealer the weekend to take a look.

Might get more than £300 for my perfectly fine 150K vRS from Skoda to.

Just dropped you a PM with some thoughts :)