Filling Haldex - problem

I have a 4x4 (not Scout) and want to replace my Haldex oil. I have the right oil and I know which is the filler and drain plug. My model has no oil filter.

The filler plug is seized. The correct size Allen key simply rotates, the plug has no flats and there is now no way to remove it. Presumably the Skoda garage that last replaced the oil was too heavy handed with their key.

I can remove the drain plug - so the only way to fill it is through the drain and I am okay with that - except that I don't want to drain it and then find the oil won't go in!

Does anyone know if there is an air bleed or vent in the Haldex? Because if there is not, then once I have drained the oil there will be no way to get it back in, all that will happen is that the air in the Haldex will compress as I use my oil gun and the new oil will be forced out as I'm pumping (or even worse, it might force its way through internal oil seals?)

If there was a filter on this model I could of course remove or slacken that. I have tried removing the holding bolts (in turn!) but their tapped holes are all blind-ended, they do not connect with the inside and therefore cannot be used as vents.

At the moment I daren't drain it in case the oil won't go back in. If that happens I'm stuffed, there's no way to refil it.

Suggestions please...?

Filler plug is not that accessible, it's just about possible to fit the Allen key in it.

I'm wondering if the dealer actually managed to get the filler out when he was supposed to do the last oil change. If he did not, that's a worry, because it will have done 130,000 miles on the original oil! 

• 3 weeks later...

Filler plug is not that accessible, it's just about possible to fit the Allen key in it.

I'm wondering if the dealer actually managed to get the filler out when he was supposed to do the last oil change. If he did not, that's a worry, because it will have done 130,000 miles on the original oil! 

are you sure that is the right one the control oil fill plug is fairly easy as opposed to the rear diff which is (from memory) harder to shift 

the length of that drain (PLUG!) makes you think you may be undoing the wrong one I'm currently applying gravity (no centrifuge ) to see what's in the bottom something that looked like jelly?

Drain plugs are about 12 or 15mm long iirc. Shouldn't be too gunked up. Plus there is a magnet fitted inside

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Edited by J306TD

Tech1e, yes, that is the filler I've been trying to undo, but its female Allen faces are rounded.

What I need to know is if I can fill through the drain (not rounded, and okay to undo).

But I don't want to fill though the drain if the unit is sealed (no air bleed) or my oil gun will just compress the air inside and the oil will blast out again.

Nobody seems to know if this will happen and I daren't try it or I'll end up with no oil in the Haldex.

according to the exploded diagram  there is an elbow and a soft? "U" shaped tube with a something/valve/vent on the end somewhere above the filler plug shown above   I would get a new one (2?)for what they cost and try removing the existing with a small chisel/punch (rotate)   not too sharp it's ally'