1.2 110 tsi engine issues

Having mega problems with my 15 plate fabia, yesterday it broke down on the motorway after a loss of power,strong burning smell coming through the air conditioning system and a strange sound coming from the engine. AA diagnosed possible turbo issue. Recovered back to main dealer and given a courtesy car. Called later in the day told not the turbo but was the air conditioning system and was now all sorted, collected the car, was driving for 10 minutes and the car stalled for no apparent reason... had to manually restart (start stop on the car) drove home with no issue following that. Drove the car to my partners and on the way home it stalls again for no reason. Called the dealership this morning who told me to call skoda assist to assess the car - engine rattling (sounds like a diesel when it's a petrol and not normal!) Car goes back to the dealer and the guy at the dealership said the engine rattle is normal! When I know it's not!!!!

The guy is trying to blame this on Morrisons fuel, however I've been running my car on this for the last 10 months with no problems! He basically told me to.stop using it and go for a branded fuel from now on whilst conducting "road tests" using the fuel in my car.

Plus it took over 6 hours to get a replacement car to me!

Any suggestions as to what it could be or advice greatly appreciated?

Might be worth trying different fuel in case you got a bad tankful, maybe dirty or have water in it.

Generally I try to rotate between supermarket fuel and Shell BP Esso etc. I think the additives and extra octane can help sometimes.

As to the Morrisons Fuel and VW Group petrol engine cars.

The VW, Skoda, Seat & SEAT Dealerships will have been very busy collecting and diagnosing faults of 100's of VWG cars cutting out at the roadside.

Then all those others that do not fill up at Morrisons but at other filling stations were the Unleaded comes from the same depots as Morrisons did seeing as Morrisons are not a Refinery Owner or Producer of Unleaded or even Diesel Fuels.

Morrisons and most other supermarket fuel doesn't have additives like Shell V power or BP Ultimate.

I think occasional usage of additive fuels helps keep your engine in better condition.

IN MY OPINION

I have stayed clear of supermarket fuel after hearing my mother's tales of filling up with Morrison's petrol. She had driven an old Nissan Micra for years on Morrison's but the car started to lose power, judder from time to time and then finally broke down. Her local garage asked about what petrol she used and advised her to switch to one of the big retailers, which in her case was Esso. Since then she has not been troubled by the lurching/juddering that she got from the Morrison's petrol. Where I live, we have both BP and Gulf filling stations and our Fabia 1.2 TSI gets one of those. It's never suffered from loss of power. I know that arguments pop up from time to time about the quality of supermarket petrol. However, I don't find that my local Tesco is much cheaper than the Gulf or BP, so I'd rather pay a penny more and feel more confident about the car's performance. You pays your money .............

Re Gulf Petrol,

what is special about the Unleaded that Certus Energy supply to Gulf Filling Station among the 1,300 other independents they deliver to.

The 'Greenergy' that produce & supply Tesco Momentum 99 also supply the Tesco 95 Unleaded, 

and all ESSO Stations in Scotland and many in other parts of the UK.

Yes some 95 Unleaded & Diesel might or might not get different additives, 

and 97 ron Super Unleaded & Premium Diesels will.

They do all need to meet minimum standards, but as is often reported some Diesels on sale in the UK are being blamed 

for wrecking DPFs on some Manufacturers cars.

You need really to look at where fuels come from that go to Branded Filling Stations and to Supermarket, 

because often they are from the same depot.

Only the Transportation / Distributor is different.

Re Gulf Petrol,

what is special about the Unleaded that Certus Energy supply to Gulf Filling Station among the 1,300 other independents they deliver to.

The 'Greenergy' that produce & supply Tesco Momentum 99 also supply the Tesco 95 Unleaded, 

and all ESSO Stations in Scotland and many in other parts of the UK.

Yes some 95 Unleaded & Diesel might or might not get different additives, 

and 97 ron Super Unleaded & Premium Diesels will.

They do all need to meet minimum standards, but as is often reported some Diesels on sale in the UK are being blamed 

for wrecking DPFs on some Manufacturers cars.

You need really to look at where fuels come from that go to Branded Filling Stations and to Supermarket, 

because often they are from the same depot.

Only the Transportation / Distributor is different.

Not all UK retail fuel is UK refined. Cargoes of refined product do come to the UK from elsewhere. Not saying that is, necessarily, a problem but at least one major supermarket chain fell foul of a bad batch of fuel from a storage facility on the Thames that wasn't of UK origin. But yes, there are lots of exchange deals. We each make our own decisions.

It certainly does come in from lots of places.

Greenergy and Royal Dutch Shell bring it to their shared facilities.

http://greenergy.com/press/news

As do others,

even bringing in Winter Grade Gasoline to the UK when other Countries Buyers have stopped buying.

eg from 2012

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

Edited by GoneOffSKi

My current 110 TSI and my last 105 TSI Monte have been almost exclusively ran on Morrisons unleaded with no problems recorded problems whatsoever so from my point of view, the problems experienced by the OP has not been caused by so called supermarket fuel.

Our 105 TSi which is five and a half years old has been run on the cheapest fuel available, usually supermarket, and hasn't missed a beat.

Where do you hear the rattle. From within the car? or with your head stuck under the bonnet?

If your head is under the bonnet then the direct injection does somewhat rattle

I wonder if something has been disturbed  (such as crank sensor?) when the airconditioning was repaired (sounds like it was a seized compressor)

How about a second opinion from another dealer?

Edited by bigjohn

BigJohn the tapping has been noted to be coming from the fuel rail (AA tech used a listening tool to find the source) but the tapping can also be heard from within the car and can be heard both on idle and when being driven and engine revved. My car has never made these noises before.

I'd make two further points: 

1. What Goneoffski said. Supermarkets buy fuel in through tiered framework agreements in much the same way as the likes of Tesco buys electronics through 'grey stock' merchants. That is, whichever distributor is cheapest for a given period of demand will win the business. That could be Certas, World Fuel Services, Esso UK, Harvest.. there's dozens out there. Point being, I sincerely doubt any fuel station in the country has fuel specific to that station or that brand. The only difference will be the octane. 

2. I've run an MX5, a modified A3, a modified EP2 and an R33 Skyline on all sorts of fuels. It's nice to go to Shell and buy Optimax/V on a clean tank to give myself the placebo.. but frankly I've never encountered any problems or any real difference between Texaco and Asda or Tesco and Morrisons. See point 1. 

• Like 1

I can add some real data to this

my car was run for its first year (8000 miles mainly short runs with odd long run) on morrisons unleaded, since February I changed jobs and now doing mainly long runs

my i20 http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/i20/2015/bluecar2/353201

march last year about july last year I was getting reasonable mpg then a gradual decline until February this year, since then I have tended to use more branded fuel, purely the fact of where I needed to fill up not many supermarkets, also longer runs and as you can see from my fuelly stats I have had a steady increase in MPG, and the engine is a lot quieter and smoother as well as bit more powerful

so what is the reason?

longer runs helping?

the more comprehensive additive in the branded fuel?

to balance that the wife i10 always run on morrisons fuel shows virtually flat mpg? http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/i10/2015/bluecar2/353179 that has a 20 mile each way commute 50/50 m/way and A roads no issues at all

so what is the reason?

i can discount plug fouling as the plugs were changed in mark at first service and no immediate increase in mpg (Hyundai replace plugs on first service then every 40,000 after)

i suspect exhaust valve fouling or sticky rings which the long runs have help with in combination with the branded fuels

the ultimate would be if i ran the wifes i10 on branded for a few months, but it goes soon, she is returning to a citigo after just 18 months with the i10

Between Oct or November and March depending on where you are in the UK if Oct or November 

the filling station were been distributed winter petrol maybe still some was going out in April..

The is petrol that is less hygroscopic.

This was not a particularly cold winter in much of the UK but the Winter Spec Petrol and Diesel is what goes to filling stations.

In the Summer it is a different formulation of fuel in the UK.

So this needs considered as another factor for those that watch MPG with 95,97 or 99 ron petrol, 

or Diesel / Premium Diesel.

The noise the op is complaining of may simply be that the work carried out on the air con has caused a pipe somewhere under the bonnet to move and make contact with the bulkhead, cylinder block or some other part that it was not in contact with prior to the work being carried out. This could be echoing/enhancing the engine internal noise to other parts of the car. It's not uncommon and you'd be surprised at how many times an owner will come back to tell you about a previously unheard noise after some work under the bonnet has be completed. It requires a discerning look by a tech to find the culprit and move it, just a little to make sure the noise goes away. Often that's all it takes. Of course it may not be that, but that's not an uncommon thing to happen, I know from experience in the trade. 

Well a quick update, the car is now back from the dealer having been there since Friday! the tapping noise has stopped and the dealer and myself are none the wiser as to what it was. It drives better and is actually quieter now than it was before it went in so I think they may have had a tinker with it. But hey I'm happy

I always hate "BT Syndrome" of we are not going to admit to finding a problem and fixing it, that way you can't sue us or complain

just be truthful and admit there was a problem and tell people, as not knowing the cause leaves people unhappy as they are unsure if the problem will return

• Like 1

Surely you will have any Warranty Work done where it suits you and where Skoda UK are paying so that will need to be at a Main Dealership,

be sure to let them know you want a Dealership where there are competent Technicians..

Maybe best to ask Skoda UK to confirm in writing what was wrong with your car.

They can ask the Dealership and also confirm if Skoda UK has an official stance on Morrison Fuel and Skoda owners

are advised not to buy unleaded fuel there.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

It will go to another skoda dealer just not the one where I purchased the car from. I contacted Skoda UK about the issue and they were as good as useless to!

When contacting Skoda UK Customer Services on anything technical there is no point talking with Call Handlers or Communications Managers, 

you ask them to have a Customer Services Manager contact you, then politely ask them to talk with a Technical Person with 

more than Secretarial or IT / Sales training but a knowledge of Motor Vehicle Engineering.

• Like 1