280 Eco Mode

Doing a little experiment for myself ....

Last Thursday to this Thursday running in Eco with Stop Start on.

Very careful with the throttle and trying to exploit coasting.

Run will mainly be 3 miles too and from work. Stop start traffic and hills.

I've seen reports of people using Eco on trips and actually getting worse fuel consumption.... I reckon it's mainly for use around town.

Anyway next week from Wednesday to Wednesday i'll drive without Stop Start and in Normal as usual.

Does the 280's DSG box have the coast mode that pulls the clutch in when the car is on overrun or going downhill?  

Does the 280's DSG box have the coast mode that pulls the clutch in when the car is on overrun or going downhill?  

Yeah

I find it makes quite a difference to fuel economy but only operates in Eco mode, or Individual mode if set to do so. Obviously this is on a TDI so horses for courses......

• Like 1

OK. End of Phase 1.

Driving as carefully as I can. Taking as much advantage of Coast Mode as I can and with Start Stop engaged.

This weeks final figure is ........... Exactly 23MPG.

Next weeks normal driving test runs Wednesday to Wednesday.

Interesting little experiment, I'm not a 280 owner and one of the reasons is fuel consumption, but to be honest 23mpg is less than I imagined, especially if as you say you were driving as carefully as you could. My 190 is consistently doing 40mpg round the doors and I do a lot of that, trips of less than 5 miles usually 3. On longer runs 46mph and on good runs with dual track and good A-class 50+. I would love to have a go in the 280 or 220, a car I did consider, but I just couldn't put up with mileage like that. Looking forward to seeing your next results.

• Like 2

@Russ

you have to pay for performance!
when i went from TSI 220ps to Passat B7 2.0TDI 1?0ps i noticed TDI doesn't go,
between that two cars you have to drive something less powerful for few days :)

2.0 TSI 220ps DSG6
non-urban: 6.5-7.8 l/100km
urban: 9-11 l/100km

2.0 TDI 1?0ps DSG6 Passat B7 2011
urban: 6.6-8.8 l/100km

Edited by MartiniB
  • Like 1

Interesting little experiment, I'm not a 280 owner and one of the reasons is fuel consumption, but to be honest 23mpg is less than I imagined, especially if as you say you were driving as carefully as you could. My 190 is consistently doing 40mpg round the doors and I do a lot of that, trips of less than 5 miles usually 3. On longer runs 46mph and on good runs with dual track and good A-class 50+. I would love to have a go in the 280 or 220, a car I did consider, but I just couldn't put up with mileage like that. Looking forward to seeing your next results.

Interestingly this is slightly better than my 1.8Tsi Scout that was doing around 22. Like I said it's not really a fair test. All week. Cold start. Stop start traffic and all hills for 3 miles. No runs at all.

I'm off to Cumbria on Friday so a spirited run over the Snake. Motorway and then some decent twisties when we get their. I'll also post the figure when I get back.

Like I've said before MPG didn't come into the equation for me. I've owned cars that did 3-5 mpg ! It's about enjoying the motor not how much fuel I can wring out of it.

If I could afford it I would have an E63 and I wouldn't be worrying about the fuel for that either :happy:

• Like 2

On close to 4000km (around 2500 miles), my long term average is 9.6l/100km, which is close to 30mpg.

The 4000km are made of very roughly 1/3 in town or around town, 1/3 on the motorways around Milan, where speed is limited to 90km/h (56mph), and 1/3 on highways where speed is limited to 130km/h (81mph). And I do respect speed limits, which is rather an exception here. Just the occasional kick down when somebody is bothering me.

On the highway at a constant 130kmh (81mph) speed (with ACC and little traffic), consumption is 8.3l/100km = 34mpg.

I have tried Eco mode just a bit in town and around town, but it is difficult to make comparisons. Not a significant difference anyway.

In Eco mode, you have to use coasting as much as possible. No engine brake, but it comes back as soon as you touch the brake pedal, and coast mode comes back again as soon as you touch the throttle. Surprising at the beginning but you easily get used to it.

• Like 1

This is, I guess, off topic as I’m barely conscious that eco mode exists, and even less have I considered trying it.

But, my long-term average (6500 miles) is 29mpg (just under 10 l/100km) with a rather heavy foot and mix of ‘sport’ and ‘normal’ modes plus occasional flat-out sprints. I frequently flick the lever into ‘sport’ just for better downshifts on deceleration (often a good alternative to ‘resorting’ to the paddles). Given the power, size of car and 4wd, I think that’s pretty damn reasonable.

From memory, I got 35-38mpg (8-7.5 l) over the roughly same mileage in the 190TDI 4x4* that I temporarily drove for a few months; similar conditions and driving style except that car didn’t do any flat-out autobahn running as my current has.

Given the substantial bonus in terms of power and smoothness / quietness of the TSI vs. TDI, I think that’s excellent trade-off.

*There's clearly a 4x4 mileage cost, but I'd never want to be without it again.

Edited by eurotraveller
  • Like 1

This is, I guess, off topic as I’m barely conscious that eco mode exists, and even less have I considered trying it.

But, my long-term average (6500 miles) is 29mpg (just under 10 l/100km) with a rather heavy foot and mix of ‘sport’ and ‘normal’ modes plus occasional flat-out sprints. I frequently flick the lever into ‘sport’ just for better downshifts on deceleration (often a good alternative to ‘resorting’ to the paddles). Given the power, size of car and 4wd, I think that’s pretty damn reasonable.

From memory, I got 35-38mpg (8-7.5 l) over the roughly same mileage in the 190TDI 4x4* that I temporarily drove for a few months; similar conditions and driving style except that car didn’t do any flat-out autobahn running as my current has.

Given the substantial bonus in terms of power and smoothness / quietness of the TSI vs. TDI, I think that’s excellent trade-off.

*There's clearly a 4x4 mileage cost, but I'd never want to be without it again.

Don't worry this is it for Eco mode lol !! It's just a test... Never again... I'm looking forward to the drive home !

This weeks final figure is ........... Exactly 23MPG.

23mpg in any mode strikes me as p---poor. I'm getting similar figures to eurotraveller and seriously struggle to get it below 25 mpg when I'm giving it loud (which is every occasion circumstances permit).

Are you still faffing with the paddles all the time? The DSG does a good job and the 280 has good engine braking so matching speed/gear to all but the tightest bends seldom requires my intervention.

I tried Eco once, for about a mile. Never again. Didn't realise ECO stood for Engine Cripple Option.

• Like 2

23mpg in any mode strikes me as p---poor. I'm getting similar figures to eurotraveller and seriously struggle to get it below 25 mpg when I'm giving it loud (which is every occasion circumstances permit).

Are you still faffing with the paddles all the time? The DSG does a good job and the 280 has good engine braking so matching speed/gear to all but the tightest bends seldom requires my intervention.

I tried Eco once, for about a mile. Never again. Didn't realise ECO stood for Engine Cripple Option.

Paddles. No I'm mainly in drive and Sport. Still do use the paddles but only when I'm by myself and i'm properly pressing on and want that extra bit of interaction.

8800 miles,long term ave of 31.8,i drive in normal,sometimes use the paddles and sport,dont hang about,i love driving,thats why i bought a 280,and today on my 48 mile drive home i achieved 36.6 mpg,39 mies of motorway at 75 mph,then nine miles  of country roads,a new best for me.the worst i ever see was 27 mpg driving like a lunatic when i was late for work.nick,23 mpg,i think you have a problem!! Kevin.

On the subject of eco mode,have tried this,put my all into driving with a light foot,using the coasting system,nearly fell asleep,and got about 2 mpg more.never again.drive in normal mode,sometimes sport/paddles,enjoy and smile.eco mode isnt for the 280,using eco drive mode is like owning a three legged greyhound!! Kevin.

Don't worry this is it for Eco mode lol !! It's just a test... Never again... I'm looking forward to the drive home !

I've tried Eco mode in a vRS once, but the coasting seemed so wrong, so I've not bothered with it in the new Golf.,

the average mpg so far is hovering around 31 mpg, with a similar powertrain to a 280.

DC

I've tried Eco mode in a vRS once, but the coasting seemed so wrong, so I've not bothered with it in the new Golf.,

the average mpg so far is hovering around 31 mpg, with a similar powertrain to a 280.

DC

Hi DC, is the Golf R 300PS?

Back from the Lakes .... Mixed driving... Over the snake. Motorway and all those twisty Lakes roads where the car had some proper hammer....

32.8 :-)

• Like 1

Back from the Lakes .... Mixed driving... Over the snake. Motorway and all those twisty Lakes roads where the car had some proper hammer....

32.8 :-)

Sounds like fun, don't have those sort of roads down here.

I guess if you want better overall fuel consumption, you should change jobs & enjoy a 40/50 miles a day commute on good roads.............

DC

Sounds like fun, don't have those sort of roads down here.

I guess if you want better overall fuel consumption, you should change jobs & enjoy a 40/50 miles a day commute on good roads.............

DC

Yeah :-) Not really doing this for me but I know others maybe interested ...