Avoiding Traffic

Google Maps gets traffic and accident alerts from Waze and that works wonderfully with Android Auto.

TMC works as well but nowhere near at Google's level of detail.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use Waze on my phone and only rely on the built-in system when I have no signal. The experience should improve when it eventually joins Android Auto, but I'm not sure if Apple will incorporate it into their car play.

• Like 2

How dare you put such a reasonable post on here!!! Our members are proud of their ability to take offence at any ridiculous suggestions such as you have made. I trust you will behave more appropriately in the future.

:D

• Like 2

I very much doubt us fruit phone users will get Waze any time soon. Obviously Google owns it as it integrates into some of the traffic data you get on Google Maps. 

As as already been said before, It's coming to Android Auto very soon but don't expect to see it coming to Apple Car Play. What I tend to do is check Google Maps before setting off to miss the worst traffic snarl ups (I too drive in and around London often), I also check the TMC data on the Columbus unit as well.

I've tried Apple Maps on CarPlay but I don't like the interface one bit. It's not intuitive and the traffic data isn't as accurate as Google's. It's getting there but still has a 'waze' to go (you're welcome). 

I also hope Apple overhaul the overall CarPlay experience when they release iOS 10 sometime in September. Again, I'm not holding my breath.......

I find the TMC system is pretty crap woefully slow at updating new issues on the road as well as clearing down older issues that have been dealt with. 

I generally know which routes are best and tend to stick with them. The M3/A316 is an excellent route into London after about 0930, for example  :p

Failing that, sit in the traffic and look smug in your shiny new car. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Never heard of Android. What's that?! (Yes, I am one of those stupid Apple fans who even in the face of complete incompatibility with anything other than Apple products hangs on to my ithings for dear life! Hopefully the iPhone will work with the Apple Car when it comes out...)

So yes, I hear you all. It's not looking good basically. Oh well. I didn't buy it for its satnav. At least I can watch movies now as I queue for the Blackwall Tunnel.

The big issue with TMC is it relies on services such as the Police to provide updates and when last I looked into it only updates every 20 minutes or so. I keep a separate Garmin SatNav with a -D type number as this uses DAB for traffic data and runs in a 30-sec update cycle. It has pretty much always got current data that TMC is still waiting to get.

It may also be down to the low (by comparison) data rates that the VHF FM analogue voice service that TMC piggybacks onto allows compared to the relative ease of adding a data stream into an existing digital system with no corruption to the audio.

• Like 1

have your smartphone in a cradle and still use Waze?

yes, no better way right now

I very much doubt us fruit phone users will get Waze any time soon. Obviously Google owns it as it integrates into some of the traffic data you get on Google Maps.

tunnel isn't as dark as you describe :)

i'm in Waze's beta system and can say Androd versions delays about two-tree months after iOS betas

i guessing it isn't cause owner Google, but maybe project developers use fuitPhones

• Like 1