TSI buyers advice

I'm pretty sure I want an Octavia mk2 facelift with TSI engine, either 1.2 or 1.4. Why would I go for one over the other? Observations I've made:

I want to get it remapped and from what I've read, the 1.2 can get a fairly decent gain lowering the gap in hp and torque between the two - is this correct?

The 1.2 seems to be rarer. I don't have a set budget particularly but I'd be looking somewhere around the £6k mark. This can get me a 1.4 with less than 50k on the clock but I'm struggling to find a 1.2 within this price range.

The "newer" 1.2 is a completely different engine based on the new EA211. Does this apply to the 1.4 also? How do I identify whether the engine is the older or newer one? I've noticed that at some point the 1.2 gained 8 extra valves - are the EA211 TSI all 16v?

Is there any real price difference between the older and newer TSI engine? If there is, would I be an idiot to get the older one and not stretch to the newer modern engine?

I realise all this information is around if I find it but I'm lazy and I'm sure you guys don't mind talking about it ;)

No idea about the technical stuff, but the 1.4 has been out for longer than the 1.2 so that might account for the difference in used car prices. I ran a 1.4 for 18months and it was great - plenty of oomph for my needs and really good on fuel consumption (I regularly saw 50mpg on motorway runs). It ran out of puff a bit with a full load onboard, so I would imagine the 1.2 would have similar issues. If you don't do the mileage to justify a diesel, then these low-powered TSI's are a great alternative.

Mk2 1.2tsi octavia has an 8 valve chain driven cam engine Code CBZB.

The 16 valve belt driven cam EA211 1.2tsi engine is fitted in the new mk3 octavia, and not the mk2.

Edited by xman

Thanks for the info guys.

I don't think I can justify the extra cost for the newer engine in a mk3. What are the reasons for not going for a 1.4 TSI mk2? I'd be looking at a 11-12 plate or run-off model so hopefully any engine flaws on the older engine would be fixed by that point?

On another note I've seen mk2 1.2 TSIs on Autotrader (late models) that claim to be 16v - is this wrong?

I have a 1.4 TSI on an 11 plate.  Had it almost 2 years now. Its a great motor but the one concern I have is the apparent lack of knowledge regarding the engine on this forum. Don't get me wrong this is a fantastic forum with a wealth of knowledge on Skodas but appears not to have many users that know this engine reasonably well. With the non existence of a Haynes Workshop Manual covering this engine it makes it a bit tricky to find any info you need.

I joined the VW forum as some of the VW's have this engine fitted and you can get a bit more info from there if needed. Its a great engine providing nothing goes wrong, if it does ...........?

You don't need a Haynes manual, instead you can access the same info that Skoda garages have.

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/

It's a paid for service and will let you search by vin to get all the details for your specific car/engine. You can also print or even print to PDF if you want to keep any of it.