1.4TSI fuel economy mpg

Having a 2 year old, 25,000 km, direct injection car that does a lot of short journeys and spends most of its time at low revs, I'm a bit concerned about possible carbon build up on the inlet valves.

So last weekend I spent about 30 minutes in 4th gear (manual gearbox) at 110 kph at corresponding 3500 rpm to help loosen whatever might be there.

Considering I had an extra 250 kg in the boot and the 50 km run on mainly dual carriageway rises from near sea level to 350 metres the resulting 7.2L/100 consumption was pretty good and less than 1L/100 worse than I would normally have got in 6th and a 1000 rpm less.

I was expecting worse.

To be fair, 4th and 6th are far too close together in the manual. With the torque that's available at low revs it could easily handle much longer legs.

I agree. I hardly ever use all the gears. 1st, 2nd 3rd then 6th usually !!

However, the benefits of 4th and 5th seem to be when you are cruising at speeds more suited to those, for whatever reason - eg traffic, bends, hills, whatever

It is really more like having three different top gear options according to conditions.

I just got a 51.4 mpg (weird US) on my drive to work this morn. I wasn't so careful on the way home and still managed 40.3.

I've had my 1.4 TSI 140 DSG for almost 2 years, in general I get 30-32 mpg in town and 45-47 mpg on motorway/out of town driving in Normal mode with a normal pace. I can occasionally get 50+ mpg if I'm very careful, but usually I'm not! :) in general, I'm very happy considering it's a fairly big petrol car. Extra refinement and cheaper fuel price at the pump than diesel make me believe more and more that it was the right choice for me, being a low milage driver at present.

My car is 2 years old, has 25k miles & gets driven enthusiastically

I average 30mpg, more like 40-45mpg with the family in the car. Travelling to work 11 miles when the sparrows get up can see averages of 15-18mpg and when the traffic lights are with me, a lot less.

My point ?

Type of journey, traffic and weather will all play a part but, the most limiting factor to fuel economy is the driver's enthusiasm. If I wanted great MPG I'd use CC more often, slow down, cut my balls off and throw them to the Green party bur, that ain't gonna happen so 30 MPG it is and I'm happy with that.

Your want more, visit your local green party member and don't forget your pen knife.

Regards

T

• Like 1

My car is 2 years old, has 25k miles & gets driven enthusiastically

I average 30mpg, more like 40-45mpg with the family in the car. Travelling to work 11 miles when the sparrows get up can see averages of 15-18mpg and when the traffic lights are with me, a lot less.

My point ?

Type of journey, traffic and weather will all play a part but, the most limiting factor to fuel economy is the driver's enthusiasm. If I wanted great MPG I'd use CC more often, slow down, cut my balls off and throw them to the Green party bur, that ain't gonna happen so 30 MPG it is and I'm happy with that.

Your want more, visit your local green party member and don't forget your pen knife.

Regards

T

I'm sure our local MP, Caroline Nutcase, would love you !!!!

Just done a return trip, West Yorkshire to SE London via A1. 2 adults and 2 children, with just a couple of small cases in the boot. I kept up with the traffic and speed limits where appropriate, and the A/C was on all the time. Indicated mpg was 55.4 southbound and 53.4 northbound. Really can't complain at that for a large, brisk family car.

Not sure I can believe that!

When our kids were young there is no way we would have been able to do a similar trip with just two small suitcases for the whole family. :)

• Like 1

Not sure I can believe that!

When our kids were young there is no way we would have been able to do a similar trip with just two small suitcases for the whole family. :)

He didn't say how long they were staying for :)

He didn't say how long they were staying for :)

Neither did I but I was talking about just overnight stays.

That is why we always needed an estate...with a big boot....like an Octavia :)

A trip from Nottingham to the Centre of Hull, well impressed using Tesco Momentum 99

That IS really good! Must have been a nice steady run.

I got similar economy when I did a 250 km run at restricted speed (late night, spare tyre fitted)

That IS really good! Must have been a nice steady run.

I got similar economy when I did a 250 km run at restricted speed (late night, spare tyre fitted)

And you were driving upside down LOL

• Like 2