What to do....

Hi,

I Recently picked up a 2011 fab vRS. 28,000 miles. CAVE engine  :sweat:

Would like to get some more power out of it and unsure of what to do.

A remap? The only place anyway near me (Hertfordshire) that does the 1.4 tsi seems to be AMD Essex however have seen some dodgy reviews for them....

Is it too risky to remap a CAVE engine?? I'm guessing an ecu remap will void the extended warranty which I dont have but am thinking about..

The only other option  i have seen is the tmc tuning box. Whilst I have no doubt this makes more power I have concerns about if its any good for the engine.

Will be upgrading exhaust/suspension/shocks/brakes/spark plugs/RARB whatever happens. Anyone recommend products? save me searching forums for all eternity.  

I13177055_10208667034330936_3930696832388e

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbup:

If you've only recently had the car I'd personally wait awhile before upgrading the power to be sure you have a good one (i.e not an excessive oil burner). These engines, particuarly the CAVE variant have a reputation for being potentially fragile and tuning them increases the likelihood stirring up trouble /unmasking the issues. Having said that there a alot of good ones out there! The TMC box is a good bet, has a good reputation.

Springs and RARB offer a brilliant upgrade to the handling on these. :)

Edited by Furbytom
  • Like 3

Cheers guys,

Only done 1k miles in it and haven't noticed oil level drop but will wait a while before doing anything with the engine. got it at 27k been serviced at 11,19,27 but none from Skoda is it worth taking it to get checked over by them anyway?

Ally did you have issues with Skoda having the tmc box? I know its easy to take on and off. Can they tell once its been fitted even if removed? I'm looking at getting the extended warranty as looking to spend £1.5-2k on handling and exhaust etc. So dont fancy funding an potential engine swap myself as well  :sweat:

Welcome to the forum.

A Bluespark or TMC Tuning box will not be an issue, but you really are as well to cover some miles with your Warranty Valid and be sure all is well.

Be sure the oil usage is fine, but importantly be sure the Spark Plugs have been replaced by now.

Have you checked the previous Servicing and Warranty History for anything that was done in the first 3 years.

If it had a Breather Mod and ECU Update?

Did it qualify for the DSG Service Campaign work, and has it been done yet?

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

I would seriously suggest buying the Skoda Warranty & having that for 1 year, & keeping it valid by not modifying the engine 

even with a Tuning Box.

Just use good oil, plugs, air filter and Super Unleaded and if you want to go faster just floor the accelerator.

Change suspension & brakes as much as you want to.

• Like 1

Ally did you have issues with Skoda having the tmc box? I know its easy to take on and off. Can they tell once its been fitted even if removed? I'm looking at getting the extended warranty as looking to spend £1.5-2k on handling and exhaust etc. So dont fancy funding an potential engine swap myself as well  :sweat:

Nope, not a trace. Once my car was out of warranty, I even got it serviced with that the induction kit on it still. Skoda didn't bat an eyelid.

It really would have to be a APR on a CAVE for good reliable improvement if you are starting with a sound engine.

http://goapr.co.uk

There have been members here that had Remaps from AMD Essex and they said they were custom maps, 

but i seem to remember the outcome was a bit like having a REVO Remap, and that is not a good thing.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Cheers guys,

Only done 1k miles in it and haven't noticed oil level drop but will wait a while before doing anything with the engine. got it at 27k been serviced at 11,19,27 but none from Skoda is it worth taking it to get checked over by them anyway?

I rant a TMC box on my CAVE vRS for about 30k, (car up to 50k) and it gave no issues. I did, many track days like that, and a trip to the Czech republic,  I had it RR'd on setting 7 , and it gave a useful 199bhp. certainly made a difference!

plus point is the ability to simply remove it for dealer servicing ect :)

the airfield in czech...

I agree with all Furbytom says but just to say I have had a remap done by AMD Essex and I am very happy with it, my car is a 2011 CAVE uses oil but not to badly and getting better with age. 

I also have Eibach springs and an H&R RARB and I wish I had done them as soon as I bought the car because they in my opinion transformed my Vrs for not much money.

Thanks for the info everyone. Think i might save up some pennies for a while and take it up to apr once i have all the mechanical stuff out the way.

Looking at buying the springs and RARB today. What shocks are prople using with there lowering springs?