ObedP, what kind of method would you use to even the head surface after the epoxy has cured? Simple brushing wont do because the material is quite hard with those metal filled epoxies.

I think milling or at least sanding should be done afterwards. Are there pitting all the way under metal rings or just about?

These following chemicals have been used succesfully in some difficult cases when there has been situations where a head gasket had to be used second time or even third time (not in Skoda engines but in water cooled engines both cast iron blocks with iron or aluminium heads and aluminium blocks with aluminium heads) without refacing the surfaces. Just cleaned with knives and chisels, washed with brake cleaner.

VHT Copper gasket cement

Blue Hylomar aerosol

Permatex Copper spray-a-gasket

Please note, that these repairs had not been meant to be permanent solutions, but they have been useful in those conditions.

Edited by MotorsportFinland
  • Like 1

ObedP, what kind of method would you use to even the head surface after the epoxy has cured? Simple brushing wont do because the material is quite hard with those metal filled epoxies.

I was asking myself the same question too. Given the lack of funds, I think his only solution is to spread the epoxy perfectly flat (only into the pits) with a wide spatula avoiding any further abrasive treatment.

• Like 1

I was thinking on using a spatula to spread flat. I will only do that on two locations where I see the two most big holes. Then sanding a little bit the area to make sure it is perfectly flat and even with the rest of the surface. I read that after cleaning thoughtfully the pits to remove all rust, sanding a little bit inside the pits to make the inside surface rough, then heating the pit with a heatgun, that way I will have a better chance that the mix can have the best grip possible. When I start doing all this I'll take all the pictures I can to show the details.  

Edited by ObedP

Red - mandatory to repair

Yellow - good to repair

Green - cosmetic, let the head gasket do its job

Unmarked - don't bother

FKkzAca.jpg

• Like 1

One more thing. Don't even think using ever again tap water as coolant. The craters in the cylinder head had been a direct result of this trend in Dom. Republic...