Walnut Shell Decoke

Dear All,

Does anyone know who does this service (Including New Seals, Clips and Gasket  etc) for  an Octavia 2 VRS TFSI 2007 Petrol in the Beds, Herts area?

All best,

P.S. They could do Runner Flap Delete and RS4 Fuel Pressure Regulating Valve at same time

FYI: symptoms: vibration at 750 - 800 revs, only when warm. when cold revs at 1200 and therefore no vibration

when driving , when in neutral at 60 mph+ , no issue with vibration when idling (guessing due to air being pushed through air inlet valve at speed)

But below, vibration at idling, so guess it is air inlet valve related and guessing it is a misfire due to not enough air (i.e. blocked inlet valve)

No issues with pulling away in high gear at low speed and no difference when clutch is engaged or not. Also no issue with clutch biting

All best

I have heard of walnut shell blasting as a gentle stress relieving process (Rolls Royce Motors used it) and have no doubt it is a mild way of cleaning up a cylinder head. But putting all that carbon  and walnut shell debris into the cylinders and then into the exhaust system and catalyst just seems plain silly and is asking  for a worse problem . Just my opinion.

Looks like you are right - from another video I saw. But it looks a somewhat random and blind process.  An endoscope would be needed to check the process properly. I'm not confident that valve stems and guides would be as  clean as they should be afterwards. Described as a 2 hour process.

Looks like you are right - from another video I saw. But it looks a somewhat random and blind process.  An endoscope would be needed to check the process properly. I'm not confident that valve stems and guides would be as  clean as they should be afterwards. Described as a 2 hour process.

Presumably any intake valve decoke would involve a complete intake manifold removal, which I doubt very much that even a skilled VAG mechanic could do within 2 hours, as well as the cleaning and putting back together.

I have heard of walnut shell blasting as a gentle stress relieving process (Rolls Royce Motors used it) and have no doubt it is a mild way of cleaning up a cylinder head. But putting all that carbon  and walnut shell debris into the cylinders and then into the exhaust system and catalyst just seems plain silly and is asking  for a worse problem . Just my opinion.

The valves are closed.  You blast, then blow away the remaining debris with shop air.  The amount that would go into the cylinder would be minimal.

You can't do walnut blasting with the manifold on.  You are thinking of a chemical clean using fluids

I am in the process of trying a Vapour? clean (long winded)  thro' the purge system,  using Seafoam,   would value any comments/input regarding method/solvents to use, OR NOT :sweat:  especially from Brad  

I am in the process of trying a Vapour? clean (long winded)  thro' the purge system,  using Seafoam,   would value any comments/input regarding method/solvents to use, OR NOT :sweat:  especially from Brad  

I use a garden sprayer / mister through the intake air temperature sensor hole.

Almost any solvent will do the job but (unusual for me) I err on the side of caution and load my mix up with water so that it won't catch on fire.

It varies but mostly I use 200ml water / 100ml white spirits (mineral turps) / 100ml degreaser.  I have used carburettor cleaner, methylated spirits, kerosene, petrol, simple green or automatic transmission fluid (very high in detergents).  If nothing else, it's a good way to dispose of all those bottles with a centimetre or 2 of fluid left.

• 4 months later...

Dear All,

Has anyone had a Walnut blast carbon clean done? Neild5?

As I am having a very similar issue with a rough running:

Dear All

I have a very similar issue to Mat-Manchester, and also Neild5:

I am seriously considering a Walnut Blast carbon clean of the inlet valves....:

I have already replaced the: MAF, PCV & PCV hoses, I have had the Coil Packs and Throttle Body replaced by a garage (who said we know exactly what the problem is - and a lot of £ later it has not sorted it. I have also had a teraclean done (just in case it was dirty injectors), I am losing the will with this car, as this can only be the last option to try?

All the best!

Edited by 1984