Hi all,

I have my roomy and I am trying to change my steering wheel, obviously its a 5J and the wheel I currently have is just plain standard 4 spoke with airbag, So what I want is a multifunction wheel, I bought a Octavia 4 spoke identical to mine but with radio controls on so of course there are more wires. The current slip ring has a 6 pin connector on it and my standard wheel uses 4 of them for airbag and horn. Now the new wheel has 6 wires but the connector is different as its a 1Z style as opposed to 5J. So the question I am asking "at last" is - do I need an adaptor, new slip ring, different steering wheel? and the other question is? how can I go about programming the steering to work once I get it fitted.

Many thanks for anyone who reads this and any help/advise will be greatfuly received.

Andy. 

Not done it myself yet, but I understand that the 3 spoke Fabia 2 'mfsw' will fit, but will need some vcds coding. 

Not strictly 'mfsw' as the functions are limited compare to that on Golf V platform cars such as our Golf Plus which will scroll the maxidot functions. 

Thanks for your reply, I was really hoping to be able to use the 4 spoke wheel I have already, I think I can manage it if I could get a spare steering wheel cable harness with the right connectors on which allow me to modify the wiring slightly????????

• 2 years later...

Hi there olive_fist, still getting nowhere unfortunately, been busy doing other things and time has run away from me. I was hoping to get some help on here but as you can see by the postings only one person had any comment to make, so I am a bit shot down really and not sure what to do next. If I have any luck I will update this post, however if you are doing a simular project and get somewhere I would love to hear from you!!!!!!

Hi @AndyDavis - I’m at a similar stage to you, although I haven’t purchased a new wheel just yet. 

I have 2012 Roomster with standard 4 spoke wheel, ideally I wanted to rip it out and go for a racing wheel, but I’m not sure that’s even legal, let alone do-able. 

Ill keep you you posted though. 

I am not the one to offer you the solution, but as Fabia section is more crowdy and vivid than ours, why don't you throw a question there?

To be honest I am really curious of the technical solution to your problem. Knowledge is always an asset.