dashcam questions

Hi all,   I am thinking of buying a dashcam but am slightly put off at the thought of the power lead running around the cabin to the 12V socket by the gear selector. 

Should the dashcam be mounted high or low?

Can the cable be hidden easily ? Is hard-wiring an option?

Ideas and advice please if you have experience of this issue.

Recommendations for the dashcam model as well please 

Many thanks as always

K

I've hard wired mine in quite easily, used the rear wiper fuse as that's on only when the ignition is engaged.

My camera is set up just behind my rear view mirror, as such The cable is routed at the top of the windscreen, down the door seal and through to the fuse box behind the glove box.

As Courty said, mount it centrally at the top of your screen and route the cable.

This should give you the best all-round view. Having it at the top lets you aim the camera downwards so you don't see as much of the sky which helps avoid the camera exposing for the sun i.e leaving the rest of your image dark.

Halfords do a fitting service wiring to the rear wiper fuse for only £30 - if you are not happy with getting behind the glove box this is a good option.  I also rate their Nextbase 512G as a good buy with very clear video.

• Like 1

As the others have said it is quite quick and easy to hide the power supply near the fuses and then tuck the wire behind the plastic/headliner so that only a couple of inches is visible and that is behind the rear-view mirror.