SEPT 15 sport back 1.6 sport

Hi just a few observations for perusal.

1. I Cannot seem to see a flap to change rear lamps if needed?

2 Driver door internal door handle Crome peeling off.

3 Carpet beneath and behind glove compartment coming away

4 Extremely frustating sat/nav. Mainly predictive postcodes streets and towns. Fortunately this is a fixed unit otherwise it would have had wings on many an occasion. I cannot find a way of disabling this function

5 This is obviously my fault but cannot admit any knowledge as to how why or where. The plastic bottom sump guard is broken. In over 50 years of driving I have never had this happen?????????

6 Is there a general consensus that the general quality is not up to previous skoda IE my previous Octavia scout/ VW

7 oil information light came on at 8200 miles stating service due in 800 miles total would be 9000 miles when I informed the dealer the actual service is 10,000 or annual.

The all above are general observations and for some reason I still like the car?

Kind regards Mike.

The car is indeed a budget motor, and a parts bin special. The interior trim should have been the giveaway of this fact when you test drove it.

Rear lamp gels need to be removed in order to change any rear bulbs. There is no internal access flap. Increasingly common not to have access flaps for rear lights these days, combo of cost saving and also helps the manufacturer reduce road noise leaking into the cabin.

The 'chrome' door handles are just plastic. Chrome finish will come off if man-handled alas.

However, that and the carpet are easy warranty claims.

Can you explain what your issue is with the nav (assuming you have the rns315 Amundsen). Don't understand what you mean by having a 'fixed' unit and having wings? Have you been pouring Red Bull into it. That's generally a bad idea.

Sump guard broken - driver error from grounding out.

Service light - there have been some issues with cars being set up on the wrong service interval. Easy for a dealer to correct though.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

The car is indeed a budget motor, and a parts bin special. The interior trim should have been the giveaway of this fact when you test drove it.

Rear lamp gels need to be removed in order to change any rear bulbs. There is no internal access flap. Increasingly common not to have access flaps for rear lights these days, combo of cost saving and also helps the manufacturer reduce road noise leaking into the cabin.

The 'chrome' door handles are just plastic. Chrome finish will come off if man-handled alas.

However, that and the carpet are easy warranty claims.

Can you explain what your issue is with the nav (assuming you have the rns315 Amundsen). Don't understand what you mean by having a 'fixed' unit and having wings? Have you been pouring Red Bull into it. That's generally a bad idea.

Sump guard broken - driver error from grounding out.

Service light - there have been some issues with cars being set up on the wrong service interval. Easy for a dealer to correct though.

Thanks Chris, in short I would have thrown it out the window if the GPS was a portable unit. My unit is the one with four switches either side of the touchscreen and a blanked off cd slot under the screen. My cheap Tom Tom was easier to work. the predictive should have a on/off or has it? Is the rear light cluster/ lamps a dealer job?

Kind regards Mike

No, rear bulbs are entirely user serviceable. I believe there is instructions in the manual (don't have mine to hand right now) on removing the rear lens.

Sounds like you have the new generation infotainment system. Might be worth paying for the Garmin upgrade module. Sounds like the new VW map system is a step back from the rns310/315 interface.

Hey Chris, if he has a Spaceback SE Sport, that is top of the range isn't it? - it shouldn't give off a cheap vibe inside.

Satnav though I totally agree.  I've tried the new (MY16) satnav in several cars and although it is better for map upgrades and POI's, the nav system itself and displays are utter pants in comparison with RNS315 / Amundsen + / Seat Media 2.2 that went before.

My other VAG motor does have a 9000 mile (15000km) Service interval, but I'm not sure about this 1.6Tdi we're discussing here.

Edited by camelspyyder

Ive not really experienced any of the problems in the OP but I do agree last gen Skodas wer far superior in terms of build Quality! My dad had an octy VRS 08 plate one and it was just so solid! And it included little things like puddle lights for the doors and all the little features that manufacturers dont even advertise that the rapid actually doesnt have! It's a shame really they've decided to go this way as I dont think I would realistically buy another Skoda. Theres nothing wrong with my rapid and its been 100% reliable in the 4 years i've had it. Its just a little disappointing to see you can buy a brand new car that is already a long way behind the game/competition in terms of tech, features and build quality.

Hey Chris, if he has a Spaceback SE Sport, that is top of the range isn't it? - it shouldn't give off a cheap vibe inside.

Satnav though I totally agree. I've tried the new (MY16) satnav in several cars and although it is better for map upgrades and POI's, the nav system itself and displays are utter pants in comparison with RNS315 / Amundsen + / Seat Media 2.2 that went before.

My other VAG motor does have a 9000 mile (15000km) Service interval, but I'm not sure about this 1.6Tdi we're discussing here.

Alas, the SE Sport will still have the same low-grade rattling scratchy plastics and every other model in the Rapid range. It just has nice seats.

Seems there's little love for the new model Amundsen across the board (VW and Seat owners seem united in their view that for operational use its nowhere near as good as the 315.

• Like 1

I've obviously had crap cars before my Rapid as it feels quite nice inside compared to my Ibiza and old Lancer.

My biggest gripe about the satnav was the lack of postcode search. But now I've worked out how to input postcodes it's much better than my old Garmin in the Ibiza. But that was utter ****e so it's not really a compliment.

My biggest regret was not getting smart link installed!!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Can you not upgrade to smartlink via the dealer? The Bolero in my car says contact the dealer for a code when I press the Smartlink icon.

Apparently it's not possible at the moment. Ill ask again when its due its first service.

Apparently it's not possible at the moment. Ill ask again when its due its first service.

Yes you can. Any dealer that says you can't is talking rubbish.

Have a search and there is a long thread that shows info was slowly getting through to the dealers last year.

When I got the keys to mine in March the guy told me they can do it, but it has to be plugged in to their systems (this was without being asked about it - seemed to be just part of the car intro)

• Like 1

Have a search and there is a long thread that shows info was slowly getting through to the dealers last year.

When I got the keys to mine in March the guy told me they can do it, but it has to be plugged in to their systems (this was without being asked about it - seemed to be just part of the car intro)

Ok I'm going down first thing tomorrow morning then :)

• Like 1

Ive not really experienced any of the problems in the OP but I do agree last gen Skodas wer far superior in terms of build Quality! My dad had an octy VRS 08 plate one and it was just so solid! And it included little things like puddle lights for the doors and all the little features that manufacturers dont even advertise that the rapid actually doesnt have! It's a shame really they've decided to go this way as I dont think I would realistically buy another Skoda. Theres nothing wrong with my rapid and its been 100% reliable in the 4 years i've had it. Its just a little disappointing to see you can buy a brand new car that is already a long way behind the game/competition in terms of tech, features and build quality.

It is dated, but with the discounts available it's still a really good buy - you just aren't going to get a zero miles Golf or similar for £12k, are you?

Sorry, £11k. (65 plate Toledo Style Advanced - full spec)

Edited by camelspyyder

It is dated, but with the discounts available it's still a really good buy - you just aren't going to get a zero miles Golf or similar for £12k, are you?

On sale today with zero miles - I'd trade my 14 plate for it if I wasn't out of the UK until Xmas

Posts above crashed but I was responding to WillJohnson about how not modern it is: 

So I went in to the dealer this weekend and they told me only the Octavia, Fabia and Superb can be fine at the dealers. If your dealer knows otherwise let me know which one it is and I'll give them s ring.

So I went in to the dealer this weekend and they told me only the Octavia, Fabia and Superb can be fine at the dealers. If your dealer knows otherwise let me know which one it is and I'll give them s ring.

OK, I've got a MY16 Rapid Spaceback with the latest Aumbistemanadand radio (yer, I've got no idea what it's really called).

Skoda in Cambridge let me know, but I'd already seen the info on here too.

• Like 1

OK, I've got a MY16 Rapid Spaceback with the latest Aumbistemanadand radio (yer, I've got no idea what it's really called).

Skoda in Cambridge let me know, but I'd already seen the info on here too.

Thanks I'll give them a call in the morning. I've seen a few things in here suggesting it can be fine but never anyone with a Rapid who has actually had it done. I'd quite happily drive too Cambridge from bristol to get it done!

Quick update on this, I've had confirmation via email from Skoda Cambridge that it's not an option to retro fit on the Rapid. I explained the scenario and they still confirmed it can't be fine on the Rapid. They said exactly the same as Skoda Bristol :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quick update on this, I've had confirmation via email from Skoda Cambridge that it's not an option to retro fit on the Rapid. I explained the scenario and they still confirmed it can't be fine on the Rapid. They said exactly the same as Skoda Bristol :(

I'm confused!

What model year have you got? Is there the smartlink option on your radio, but you just get a message when you click on it?

I'm confused!

What model year have you got? Is there the smartlink option on your radio, but you just get a message when you click on it?

I've got a my16 Rapid SE Sport purchased in Jan 2016. It's got the touchscreen anbudsen (spelling) with satnav etc and when I hit the smartlink in the car menu it says activation code required, contact your dealer. I can post a pic when I'm in the car tomorrow. I asked what the difference is between a rapid and the other cars that can be activated and they couldn't explain it.

I'm in there in the next couple of weeks, but def. an option on my my16 spaceback. They said they'd done a couple.

If you ring them ask for John in sales - he was the one that said they'd done a couple (and has been helpful in finding out random information I was after too).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...