Water/Methanol Injection

Currently have no mods done to the engine, still just the standard engine that came with the car at the moment, just was curious if others on this forum had fitted a meth/water injection system, as it is ment to benefit even an unmaped standard engine, I am thinking about getting a re-map as well, but weighing up different options.

As Techie says a few of the 'top end' modded cars are fitted with water or methanol injection kits. There are far better modifications to be made before you get to that stage though. Your first hurdle is to replace the intercooler as it is side mounted, tiny and becomes heat soaked quite quickly, especially on a remapped car. A meth/water kit would help but I really don't think it is worth the hassle on the smic. Stick a nice thick Airtec or equivalent cooler on the front first. Then if you're determined to fit a meth/water kit, you'll have a lot more room to play with, as well as a larger surface area to cool.

JRJG

Edited by Jrjg

+1, front mount intercooler, turbo upgrade and remap would put you around 180bhp, best to put your money were you'll see most benefit.

Oh and don't forget to uprate your brakes!!!

sod water meth i'm pricing up nitrous kits at the moment - and researching progressive controllers. Seeing how much it reduces the soot by will be interesting. But, as said back on topic, waste of time unless your on a big turbo

Something to also bear in mind is the cost of the methanol and where you are going to get it from.

I tried water/methanol in the past on a different car and had trouble buying it and also consumed a lot which made it expensive when you consider the cost is in addition to your normal fuel costs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Something to also bear in mind is the cost of the methanol and where you are going to get it from.

I tried water/methanol in the past on a different car and had trouble buying it and also consumed a lot which made it expensive when you consider the cost is in addition to your normal fuel costs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I get my methanol from a model shop, 5L for about £12. Its a 50/50 mix with water, so 5L lasts ages. I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of methanol. From what I know, I think the actual kits are fairly pricey though, plus installation and set up costs.