keys: normal one, spanner one, plastic one?

Hi All,

My superb's come with a selection of keys: 2 normal ones with zappers, a plain key with a spanner logo on it, and a black plastic blade key. What are the last two for? Is the spanner one so I can lock the boot and just give that to the garage for servicing? What's the plastic one for? Car supermarket said something about locking other keys in the glovebox using the plastic one when you drop car in for servicing?

Cheers!

Ric

As I understand it, the spanner key is for when you leave your car with the mechanic for servicing, repairs etc (hence a spanner logo). The plastic one is the master from which you should have other keys cut apparently. I was told that the idea is that the plastic key isn't strong enough to turn the ignition so the key cutter can't nick your car! but they did raise a question for me, if he can cut you a new key, why can't he use the new key to nick your car? strangely enough the dealer couldn't answer that one!:confused:

The 'Spanner' key is indeed the servicing key, it will unlock, start and drive the car but if you have locked the boot and petrol cap controls with the normal key in the drivers door, the 'spanner' key wont open them. - bit stupid really as if you dont trust your mechanic/valeter/hotel valet parking or anyone you lend your car to, or if you drive around with gold bullion in the boot and have a tank full of silver plated fuel, you shouldnt really be lending it to them:rolleyes:

The plastic key is an 'emergency' key that is intended to be kept in your wallet/purse incase you lose the normal key whilst out and about. it is strong enough to be used but not to many times!!

You should also have been given a plastic tag type thing that is described as a 'key ring' but isn't really, it's got the key codes for your car on it and is apparently 'essential' when ordering replacement keys.

Well, you learn something new everyday.

I like the idea of the Spanner key but I thoroughly trust my mechanic, mind you that's probably because I don't go the the stealers.

• 1 year later...
The plastic key has a transponder in it and will start the car.

Will this be affected if it gets wet?

I do SCUBA diving and was intending to lock the main key in the glovebox and take the plastic one with me, so it would be going to approx 45 meters underwater (sea water).

• 2 weeks later...
As I understand it, the spanner key is for when you leave your car with the mechanic for servicing, repairs etc (hence a spanner logo).

I've never understood that. If the mechanic can't get to the boot, how can he check the spare, or replace a rear bulb. I gather that the additive for burning off the particulate filter lives under the spare as well, how could he top that up?

Will this be affected if it gets wet?

I do SCUBA diving and was intending to lock the main key in the glovebox and take the plastic one with me, so it would be going to approx 45 meters underwater (sea water).

Had the same keys for pur A6:-

2 normal,

1 spare (according to dealer)

1 last resort plastic, only opens doors.

If there is a service key, what does it prevent the mechanic from doing exactly? The car must still run, otherwise how are they supposed to check if they have fixed it?

Gizmo

The normal key survives to at least 25m, in the chest pocket of my dry suit liner. If you put it in the right way round, you can still open the car, without having to remove your suit too.

My plan was always to use the plastic for diving, but always forgot it. Best way to see if it has a transponder though would be to try to start the car with it!

Phil

The normal key survives to at least 25m, in the chest pocket of my dry suit liner. If you put it in the right way round, you can still open the car, without having to remove your suit too. Phil

Cheers Phil,

I will try it, even if the dive does **** up the transponder at least it will unlock the car and glovebox where the main key will be.