Engine vibration through brake & accelerator pedals

Car went in to get both strut top mounts replaced and while it was in had driver's side front spring replaced as it had snapped near the top (source of the rattle which was accompanying the creaking from the top mounts).

Anyway, there is now a noticeable vibration through the brake and accelerator pedals, which feels like it's from the engine. It does it at idle and when car is moving and it also changes as the revs change. I've not driven the car much since I got it back but it feels bad enough that I think I'd end up with pins and needles in my foot after any sort of a long journey.

Obviously I'm going to take it back to get it checked out (it's going back in for MOT shortly) but just thought I'd ask if anyone had an idea of what it could be? I'm doing an oil change tomorrow so in I'll take a look at it then as it feels like something is touching where it shouldn't and causing the vibration.

It's just strange that it started after the work was done. Any thoughts?

Well the vibration has gone! Not entirely sure what was causing it but it's definitely not doing it anymore.

Couldn't see anything wrong after taking the wheels off and it was still doing it with them off and after sticking them back on.

Only thing I could find was this:

8F13E429-94CA-46EE-A59E-76B98F8A41D4_zps

B4DF7B36-5DE8-4820-A13F-928EB70C58D0_zps

C5A3CA39-2D83-40DA-AA4D-61C785F04F19_zps

Those two hoses in the first pic weren't clipped into their locating guides and the wiring loom I'm pointing at in the second pic wasn't clipped into the bulkhead as it should be. It was trapped between the top intake pipe and the brake fluid reservoir. You can see where the two parts are in the third pic.

I know, it sounds crazy but that was all I did and it went away. The only thing I can think is that the loose parts were causing vibrations elsewhere or transmitting the engine vibration and that is what I was feeling through the pedals. Does seem a bit coincidental but who knows. Only thing is, I was so chuffed I'd sorted it, I didn't think to try moving them back to see if the vibration returned.

Probably won't be of any use to anyone but thought I'd post up seeing it's sorted. Might just show that it's important to make sure everything is squared-away correctly.

Edited by del-gti
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went round the engine bay and found a loose plate type thing that attached to the front bulkhead. Tightened them up with a torx key, started the engine and it seemed so much quiter inside the cab now.

Just need to get the shuddering sorted now which I thing is down to the tyres, won't know till I get it checked