Short boots/ankle boots

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Anyone got a set? I've got a list of bits I'd like this year, boots are quite near the top of that list, I have a set currently but they're knackard after a little more than a year of use. I've always liked the look of these short ankle boots, but are they any good? Eventually I'd replace my full length boots with more for touring duties and longer rides maybe but I was thinking about a set of short ones for local riding and a bit more casual use. 

From what I can make out, they sit just above the ankle so should still offer decent protection, I think I was looking at TCX boots. 

Any thoughts? 

Your ankle is the most vulnerable in the event of a spill, so shorty boots are more than adequate. I have both standard long boots and Frank Thomas shorty boots and I wear the short ones nearly all the time, much easier to get on and off and you can walk about in them in much more comfort. 

Blow that for a game of soldiers. Long boots every time for me. I'm sure modern boots offer hood protection but my chunky daytonas for me. Feel solid and secure.

I am of the same school of thought with regards to full length. My full length Berik's made the difference between my leg being attached(ish) or not.  :peek:

Any decent ride I'd use full length boots, I'm just thinking for in the summer if I take the bike to somewhere I'm going to be walking/sitting about a fair bit it'd be more comfortable.

In fairness I'm better getting new full boots first anyway. 

I bungie a backpack to rear seat with shoes in it and swap over if needed in that instance. Doesn't affect me much as I ride the bike to ride the bike, taking it somewhere that I intend to walk is rare. Taking it to work I have to carry safety boots for work, I could wear them to ride, but just isn't something I personally would do. 

• 5 weeks later...

Even when I was commuting to work as a bus driver where I always wore boots to drive in I always took them with me and wore full length boots as I just don't feel protected enough without.  You can come a massive cropper at town speeds still and slapping your ankle down at any speed won't be the best fun I am sure.  Each to their own Matt so your choice but the thought of ankle damage makes me shudder.

Depends on what you're calling short boots.

These are a waste of time

98869-alpinestars-fastback-wp-2016-boots

These I've just bought and only slightly shorter than a touring boot but compared to a MX boot much shorter but hold you foot and ankle very securely. 

23800_l.jpg

I had read a feature a few years ago on motorbike boots and despite all the ankle bracing and armour the most important aspect of road boots was the sliding materials around the ankle and toes which stopped the boot from gripping in a tumble. Which is the same with most bike accidents in that it's not coming off the bike that's going to hurt but what stops you during the fall. 

Well I can remember when leathers were lined with nylon!  That is until they realised hownhotbit gets when sliding across tarmac.  I think another thing to stress is that you buy from a reputable dealer and not from someone on t'internet flogging cheap copies.